Furious - new passport and Immigration doesn't transfer my 1 year Non-Im B! is this normal?

Last June I got myself another new 12-month Non Im B Multi from Kota Baru.

My UK passport had to be renewed this month, and when it came back I took it to the Koh Samui (where I live) Immigration to get the visa transferred over.

But when I checked it, they have given me a 3-month (Non Im B) stamp dated from the last time I entered the country on September 26th.  I queried this (trying not to get angry as only a few months ago it cost me 13,000 baht (with transport, hotel costs and the one-year visa) and that should have seen me through until next September (including the 3-month final extension). But they insisted that I could only get more than 3 months from a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad. They told me categorically that they could not  "transfer my visa" to my new passport, only give me a stamp that matched the entry date on my TM.6 - ie, the last time I entered the country.

I'm absolutely positive that the last time I needed a new passport, back in 2008, I didn't bother going to my local immigration but just went across the border with my totally blank new passport and the immigration office at the border copied the full remaining time on my 12-month visa across - well I think so anyway . . . ??

Anyone actually KNOW the situation here? (Samui Immigration has a terrible reputation for screwing people about . . . )

Should I have had the full remaining time (until next June) transferred across - or were they correct to give me just 3 months?

Thanks in advance,

R

Edited by robsamui

Ah - I realise that I didn't explain that my old passport (along with my Work Permit, ATM cards etc) was stolen - hence I don'r have the old one to show.

I seems that might make a difference??

(and also explain why the last time I needed a new passport (ran out of space) I didn't have any problems . . . )

Edited by robsamui
editing

5 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Ah - I realise that I didn't explain that my old passport (along with my Work Permit, ATM cards etc) was stolen - hence I don'r have the old one to show.

Only permissions to stay and extensions can be transferred.

Sadly your visa (obtained outside the country) is now toast. The consulate that issued it may be able to transfer to your new passport, but that's unlikely to be free and it may be more cost-effective to simply get a new visa.

OR

Since you have a WP (you'll need to get that replaced too) when your current permission runs out get an extension based on working, that can be transferred if you lose your PP again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Only permissions to stay and extensions can be transferred.

Sadly your visa (obtained outside the country) is now toast. The consulate that issued it may be able to transfer to your new passport, but that's unlikely to be free and it may be more cost-effective to simply get a new visa.

OR

Since you have a WP (you'll need to get that replaced too) when your current permission runs out get an extension based on working, that can be transferred if you lose your PP again.

(Background sound of me quietly ripping my hair out . . . )

Thanks - this explains things.

So, basically, I now have a nullified WP.

Meaning I need to apply for another Non-IM B, and without a WP they'll only give me 3 months.

Then I came back and get my WP sorted.
Then I go away again, take my WP to show them, and get a 12 month visa.

No wonder people are turning their back on this country and looking to Vietnam and Cambodia instead.

I do not think there is any way to get your old visa reinstated. Immigration, certainly, cannot do it. If you live in Bangkok, it might be worth taking the police report noting your passport was stolen to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs visa section, and asking them if they can reinstate it. They may be able to contact Kota Bharu (to confirm you received it there) and then provide you a new visa sticker. I rate the chances as 20% at best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

So, basically, I now have a nullified WP.

The WP and visa are two different things. You cannot use the visa to get a replacement WP, but I think (with the police report) the Labor Department will issue you a new work permit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The WP and visa are two different things. You cannot use the visa to get a replacement WP, but I think (with the police report) the Labor Department will issue you a new work permit.

Well I hope so - that will then save making two trips (to get a 3 month then a 12 month visa)

I'm seeing the company accountants on Monday. Then I'll find out the worst!

Thanks for all your advice, fellas - appreciated.

Edited by robsamui

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your heart obviously just isn't in it anymore.

Been living and working here since 1997 and it's gone from being simple and easygoing to a bureaucratic nightmare where every step is a exercise in Thais asserting their 'superiority' and foreign residents (me!) becoming increasingly more burdened and disillusioned.

I can get ongoing 12-month business visas in Cambodia (AFAIK) with none of the hassles and complexities of the Thai system - in fact both Cambodia and Vietnam welcomes foreigners and try hard to encourage them to stay - unlike present-day Thailand, which only want monied tourists on short-stay visits . . . sigh

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1