How many tourist exempt visits before raising flags

I usually travel to Bangkok 3 to 4 times a year to visit the family, since  2003 its been 30 visits in total and since 2015 i have been 11 times, on my last visit I used the Quick track line as i thought a Thai Airways gold card got me through there ,I was abruptly told that it was for Platinum or Business passengers only, he did call me back to process me as it wasn't busy but the grumpy guy was saying "last time right" so now im thinking was he referring to my error in using the quick line or was he referring to my many visits without a pre arranged Visa? Im due to return in the new year and im concerned that I may be in trouble if I arrive seeking another TVE, or am I worried over nothing?

oh ma gosh, i must have 25 TVEs (and 5 or so TVs) over the past 10 years or so. if there is no time period for the alarm, i guess i will get questioned every time, and, no, i have never worked in Thailand. it makes life very uncomfortable though to be challenged by the IMO.

Thanks for the replies , can't do much work staying between on average 6 to 10 days at a time  always coming in from Australia  so it must be clear to them that I'm not working , I will however stay in the normal line at immigration next time 

6 hours ago, wozza said:

Thanks for the replies , can't do much work staying between on average 6 to 10 days at a time  always coming in from Australia  so it must be clear to them that I'm not working , I will however stay in the normal line at immigration next time 

You should not have trouble if logic prevailed, but consider this case:

If you can enter on a Non-O Visa to visit family, that would remove any potential problems - not sure if you have a Thai wife or child which would allow you to qualify. 

If not - maybe try to determine where that poster's entry-patterns crossed a line vs yours.  They won't publish defined-rules for visa-exempts by air, so people just have to guess, hope, and cross their fingers.

1 hour ago, wozza said:

Thanks Jack Thompson

Yes I do have a Thai wife and children ,the posters travel patterns are pretty much similar to mine.

Oh yes Logic, if only that applied in Thailand. 

In that case - a Multi-Entry Non-O would be perfect.  You get 90-days permission to stay on each entry until the "enter before" date, which is 1-year after you apply for it. 

Although this is easy at Savanahket, Laos, that may not be the way you want to spend one of your short trips here.  Someone here can probably advise what the rules are at an official Thai-Consulate where you live/work, so you could apply by mail or in-person (if close) between trips.  Usually, you would only need your original marriage-certificate plus signed copies of your wife's house-book and ID-card.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration officers get an alert when you reach a total of 6. The alert is meant to inform that they should look at your history of entries to see if your are trying to live here on them.

Your history should not cause a problem for doing another one later.

Is that six in a year, or in the total history of visits registered in the computer? 

10 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:
18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration officers get an alert when you reach a total of 6. The alert is meant to inform that they should look at your history of entries to see if your are trying to live here on them.

Your history should not cause a problem for doing another one later.

Is that six in a year, or in the total history of visits registered in the computer? 

As of earlier this year, it was six since they starting counting around the middle of 2015. I am expecting, at some point, they will alter the system to use a running two year period or something, but I do not think that has happened yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1