Plan to cede police powers to agencies

webfact

5 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Nothing is going to change. The only difference is that more people are now sharing the same piece of cake. 

It will make corruption much more difficult. Instead of a single agency responsible for enforcing pretty much every law in the Kingdom, a very powerful one with 230,000 people, numerous agencies will now be responsible. There will now have to be collusion between multiple agencies.

I do believe it was Thaksin who moved the police from the Ministry of the Interior to the office of the Prime minister. Thus creating his own private army. This has been one of the biggest problems over the years. Use of the police to help in politics.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

If this truly happens, the result could be massive. This will totally neuter the currently too big police force. It's reach will be cut back dramatically. Fantastic news.

I'd love to see how it will impact the size ot the organization.

#1 problem in Thailand today. A massively corrupt police force. Hard to enforce laws in an environment like this.

I wouldn`t become too excited, breaking out the bottle of champagne and start celebrating just yet.

This in-fact means the government will in actually be privatizing certain sections of the police force.  They will be under the controls of companies or agencies given law enforcement licences and powers. This has already begun in Chiang Mai with the immigration department, whereas the immigration police have limited the number of slots for applicants per day, with the overflow having to use agencies. These companies are in it for profit and if no earners involved will probably not bother to investigate certain crimes. Another factor is that these agencies will be jobs for the lads. No one will know who exactly will be running the show. And which body will be responsible for overseeing these companies? If totally unregulated and given a free hand, that I believe will be the case, then if you consider the police are corrupt, wait until these departments fall into private hands, you ain`t seen nothing yet.

Edited by cyberfarang

7 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I wouldn`t become too excited, breaking out the bottle of champagne and start celebrating just yet.

This in-fact means the government will in actually be privatizing certain sections of the police force.  They will be under the controls of companies or agencies given law enforcement licences and powers. This has already begun in Chiang Mai with the immigration department, whereas the immigration police have limited the number of slots for applicants per day, with the overflow having to use agencies. These companies are in it for profile and if no earners involved will probably not bother to investigate certain crimes. Another factor is that these agencies will be jobs for the lads. No one will know who exactly will be running the show. And which body will be responsible for overseeing these companies? If totally unregulated and given a free hand, that I believe will be the case, then if you consider the police are corrupt, wait until these departments fall into private hands, you ain`t seen nothing yet.

Hard to be more corrupt than the customs department is now. Impossible!  LOL

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

This in-fact means the government will in actually be privatizing certain sections of the police force.  They will be under the controls of companies or agencies given law enforcement licences and powers. This has already begun in Chiang Mai with the immigration department, whereas the immigration police have limited the number of slots for applicants per day, with the overflow having to use agencies. These companies are in it for profit and if no earners involved will probably not bother to investigate certain crimes. Another factor is that these agencies will be jobs for the lads. No one will know who exactly will be running the show. And which body will be responsible for overseeing these companies? If totally unregulated and given a free hand, that I believe will be the case, then if you consider the police are corrupt, wait until these departments fall into private hands, you ain`t seen nothing yet.

When the process starts, or rather, when the planning process starts, a meeting will be held between someone serious in the police force and the bagman for the PM.

At that meeting, it will be suggested that the police have evidence of drug-running and people trafficking, that unfortunately and completely unexpectedly contains a name and an amount of money, supported (of course) by irrefutable evidence. The name, who has already decreed the money and other assets will nor be revealed or investigated or audited, will be informed and the reformation of the police, indeed any change to the existing surpassingly lucrative structures  will suddenly stop.

And that, my friend will be that.

Of course, what won't be revealed is the thorough investigation that has already been done by the police into the unusual wealth of the name, during which the evidence came to light. Perfectly innocently of course. Skeletons and cupboards.

Welcome to Thailand.

Edited by Sid Celery

On 11/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, worgeordie said:

The Police wont stand for this,too many big money making opportunities 

going out of their control.

regards worgeordie

I see this as inevitable, but I imagine some of the Police that are doing these stings will transfer to the agency he job transfers to, no same same but different.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:33 PM, Sid Celery said:

when the planning process starts, a meeting will be held between someone serious in the police force and the bagman for the PM.

May have already happened.

Prayut through Article 44 has empowered the Army's Internal Security Operations Command to give it more authority at the provincial and regional levels over other officials.

“It would group together relevant agencies – military, police, prosecutors and the chief of mitigation agencies"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30332385

When a new elected government is installed, the NCPO will dissolve, albeit Prayut may remain in government in one form or another (Senate, PM). But the army's ISOC will remain, to assure national security of course.

I wonder how many years it takes to train someone to detect these diversified crimes? This plan allows for hundreds of thousands of people to be put in charge of investigations amounting to billions of Baht. Are they ready to take on these new investigative roles?