A good place in Bangkok where I can listen and compare speakers?

ricku

I'm looking to buy a soundbar for my TV, together with a multi room speaker system for my music needs.

Right now I'm trying to decide between Sonos and Bose, but I'd really like to listen and compare before I pull the trigger.

Where in Bangkok can I find a good shop that allows customers to listen and compare speakers? Preferably the brands I mentioned above. :) 

Edited by ricku

12 hours ago, ricku said:

I'm looking to buy a soundbar for my TV, together with a multi room speaker system for my music needs.

Right now I'm trying to decide between Sonos and Bose, but I'd really like to listen and compare before I pull the trigger.

I dont know much about shops in Bangkok but I do have quite a lot of experience with multi-room setups from Sonos and Yamaha, and with soundbars.

If you could give more details of exactly what you are trying to do, and in what locations, maybe I can offer some suggestions before you start your listening tests.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont know much about shops in Bangkok but I do have quite a lot of experience with multi-room setups from Sonos and Yamaha, and with soundbars.

If you could give more details of exactly what you are trying to do, and in what locations, maybe I can offer some suggestions before you start your listening tests.

I'd just like to have a soundbar + woofer for my television in my living room, and one (or perhaps two) extra speakers in the bookcase behind my couch.

For the rest of my home, one speaker in my bedroom and another speaker in my kitchen. I'd like the entire system to work together when I'm streaming music from Spotify.. That's pretty much it. :)

Edited by ricku

2 hours ago, misterphil said:

Piyanas is in BKK and Pattaya. 

I have been getting my high end audio from these for years. Check their website, give them a call to see if they have the ones you like in stock then go and test them. 

https://www.piyanas.com/

not much at the website that is considered high end audio.

heres an example of high end audio

http://www.krellonline.com/index.html

http://www.highend-broker.com/highend2/producten.php?hcat=1&scat=7

Edited by atyclb
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ricku said:

I'd just like to have a soundbar + woofer for my television in my living room, and one (or perhaps two) extra speakers in the bookcase behind my couch.

For the rest of my home, one speaker in my bedroom and another speaker in my kitchen. I'd like the entire system to work together when I'm streaming music from Spotify.. That's pretty much it. :)

You dont say what size the rooms are so I will assume medium/small.

Are you particularly attached to the idea of a soundbar+woofer? Would a classical three-speaker setup (left, centre, right) be suitable for your TV instead?

Is wireless of particular importance or can you run wires easily?

Sonos's strong points are multiroom and "plug and play". Basically they require no setting up and will do the job more or less entirely wirelessly, and are well integrated with Spotify. The one downside they have is that the current range is all integrated speaker/amp packages, and the speaker parts are not really comparable with high-end stand-alone speakers. However that is probably not what you want, and of course a listening test will reveal whether you like the Sonos sound or not. I have Sonos in my bedroom and it's fine. Sonos is quite expensive for what it is, and the subwoofer is particularly pricey.
Be warned that Sonos does not fully support 5.1 and DTS, and so zoning may be a problem for you depending on what you want the those extra rear bookshelf speakers for. I'm assuming that you want them for surround sound purposes but correct me if I'm wrong.

Another option would be Yamaha Musiccast. The multiroom function on this is less sophisticated, so you should give this very careful thought if you want to have the same source playing at the same time in several rooms, which is something that Sonos handles with ease. However if you just want to be able to move music around from one room to another (rather than have it all playing everywhere simultaneously) then Yamaha is fine. Another advantage of Yamaha is that you can use any wired speakers with it, which will allow for very good sound quality as long as you dont mind having a few wires as mentioned above. Wires would be limited to two zones. You can also use Yamaha's own wireless speakers in extra zones. So for example you could have a Yamaha amp near your TV, wired to 5 speakers in that room (plus a sub-woofer if you want one, and this would be much cheaper than the Sonos one), and also have a couple of wireless speakers in the kitchen and bedroom. It does really all depend whether your priority is for good surround sound for TV use or good multiroom for Spotify use.

As far as Spotify goes, Sonos integrates it directly but Yamaha uses Spotify Connect (Sonos also uses Spotify Connect if you want). In practice there is not much difference as either way you will still need to use some sort of controller (smartphone, PC, tablet) to make it work at all. I use Yamaha Musiccast and Sonos with Spotify and both are fine. I control then both from my PC and smartphone. A premium Spotify subscription is required.

I have no personal experience of Bose so I cant comment on how well their multiroom functionality works. Personally I dont like the "Bose sound" very much.

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You dont say what size the rooms are so I will assume medium/small.

Are you particularly attached to the idea of a soundbar+woofer? Would a classical three-speaker setup (left, centre, right) be suitable for your TV instead?

Is wireless of particular importance or can you run wires easily?

Sonos's strong points are multiroom and "plug and play". Basically they require no setting up and will do the job more or less entirely wirelessly, and are well integrated with Spotify. The one downside they have is that the current range is all integrated speaker/amp packages, and the speaker parts are not really comparable with high-end stand-alone speakers. However that is probably not what you want, and of course a listening test will reveal whether you like the Sonos sound or not. I have Sonos in my bedroom and it's fine. Sonos is quite expensive for what it is, and the subwoofer is particularly pricey.
Be warned that Sonos does not fully support 5.1 and DTS, and so zoning may be a problem for you depending on what you want the those extra rear bookshelf speakers for. I'm assuming that you want them for surround sound purposes but correct me if I'm wrong.

Another option would be Yamaha Musiccast. The multiroom function on this is less sophisticated, so you should give this very careful thought if you want to have the same source playing at the same time in several rooms, which is something that Sonos handles with ease. However if you just want to be able to move music around from one room to another (rather than have it all playing everywhere simultaneously) then Yamaha is fine. Another advantage of Yamaha is that you can use any wired speakers with it, which will allow for very good sound quality as long as you dont mind having a few wires as mentioned above. Wires would be limited to two zones. You can also use Yamaha's own wireless speakers in extra zones. So for example you could have a Yamaha amp near your TV, wired to 5 speakers in that room (plus a sub-woofer if you want one, and this would be much cheaper than the Sonos one), and also have a couple of wireless speakers in the kitchen and bedroom. It does really all depend whether your priority is for good surround sound for TV use or good multiroom for Spotify use.

As far as Spotify goes, Sonos integrates it directly but Yamaha uses Spotify Connect (Sonos also uses Spotify Connect if you want). In practice there is not much difference as either way you will still need to use some sort of controller (smartphone, PC, tablet) to make it work at all. I use Yamaha Musiccast and Sonos with Spotify and both are fine. I control then both from my PC and smartphone. A premium Spotify subscription is required.

I have no personal experience of Bose so I cant comment on how well their multiroom functionality works. Personally I dont like the "Bose sound" very much.

Thank you so much for this write up! Excellent food for thought.

• 2 months later...