Tourist visa in old passport

I have just received my new British passport

the tourist visa which expires on the 8thJanuary 2018 is in the old passport 

I will depart Thailand on the 8th January 2018  to Vientaine Laos 

to renew tourist visa

Will I experience any problems departing Thailand if I show both passports 

with the tourist visa in the old passport

thankyou

once used a single entry tourist visa is finished, has no further use, it is then replaced by a permission to stay stamp upon entering Thailand, is that stamp also in your old passport and what is the date on it. i find it hard to believe that the visa and the permission to stay stamp is the same date. what date is stamped on your tm6 arrival/departure card

Edited by steve187

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You will need the letter from the UK Embassy (Trendy house) asking the Thai immigration to transfer your old PP details to the new one .

Lots of forms to be filled in at Nong Khai and photos, photo copies and signatures , takes about 40 minutes

This must be the only circumstance where passports can be 'flipped' at a Thai land border crossing? Looks like having a new visa in the other passport and the letter from VFS enables the Thai immigration to do this?

How about the Lao immigration? My understanding is they also need to see the Thai departure stamp in the same passport you are entering Laos on? I would assume that the OP is planning on flipping the old-to-new passport as he leaves Thailand and enters Laos so that the visa goes in the new passport. If they have similar restrictions, does the VFS letter work for them too?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

This must be the only circumstance where passports can be 'flipped' at a Thai land border crossing? Looks like having a new visa in the other passport and the letter from VFS enables the Thai immigration to do this?

How about the Lao immigration? My understanding is they also need to see the Thai departure stamp in the same passport you are entering Laos on? I would assume that the OP is planning on flipping the old-to-new passport as he leaves Thailand and enters Laos so that the visa goes in the new passport. If they have similar restrictions, does the VFS letter work for them too?

The Thai departure stamp goes into the new PP .

Thats it, procedure complete .

The new PP is now valid and the old one isnt 

21 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You would save yourself a lot of time and hassle by visiting your local Immigration and doing it there, you have plenty of time to do it

Most immigration offices will not do it unless you have applied for a 30 day extension.

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most immigration offices will not do it unless you have applied for a 30 day extension.

I did it at Hua Hin Immigration last Feb Joe

Also as he is leaving on January 8 he will need to apply for the 30 day extension before then, he could do them both at the same time

He says his TV expires on the 8th Jan, I wonder if he doesn't know a 30 day extension can be applied for on a TV? Or he has already counted the 30 day extension date in?

Edited by darrendsd

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You will need the letter from the UK Embassy (Trendy house) asking the Thai immigration to transfer your old PP details to the new one .

Lots of forms to be filled in at Nong Khai and photos, photo copies and signatures , takes about 40 minutes

The British Embassy is most certainly not at "Trendy house"!

18 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

The British Embassy is most certainly not at "Trendy house"!

Yes, we all know that, but Trendy house deals with UK passport applications, that is why I put it in commas , the letter comes from the UK Gov and its delivered via Trendy house

The visa in the old passport is a single Tourist one valid from 9th October 2017

to 8th  January 2018 issued in the Thai Embassy in Vientiane 

arriving in Thailand the Visa has the Used stamped on it

the TM 6  has the admitted date 12th October 

the admitted until bit has no date 

op by my reckoning your permission to stay expires on the 10th Dec, if you leave on Friday the 8th you will have to stay in Laos 3 nights and collect your passport on Monday the 10th, you would be better leaving on the 10th and collect the next day, and as posted have you done a 30 day extension at local immigration.

19 minutes ago, shackleton said:

The visa in the old passport is a single Tourist one valid from 9th October 2017

to 8th  January 2018 issued in the Thai Embassy in Vientiane 

arriving in Thailand the Visa has the Used stamped on it

the TM 6  has the admitted date 12th October 

the admitted until bit has no date 

You get 60 days on a TV, before the 60 days ends, usually up to 7 days before you must visit your local Immigration Office and apply for the extra 30 days, this costs 1900 Baht

The admitted to stamp may be in your PP you need to check

When you apply for your 30 days at Immigration you can ask them to transfer your stamp to your new PP at the same time

The first 2 paragraphs are exactly how TV's work, although there may not be a admitted to date in your PP (THIS IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY) if you don't go to Immigration to apply for the extra 30 days and leave in January you will be paying a 15000 Baht overstay fine

http://www.thaiimmigration.net/tourist-visa-for-thailand.html

Edited by darrendsd

I must admit I thought it was strange getting the dates for 3 months 

before it was 60 days then I applied for the 30 day extension

so just to confirm the dates are for using the visa but valid only for 60 days 

from the date when I entered the Kingdom

no until admitted date in passport or TM 6

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

You only get 60 days, do as I advised above and you will be fine

10 hours ago, shackleton said:

you should/must of been given a stay until stamp in your passport, otherwise thats a whole new ball game

download.jpg

and a used stamp on your visa

Tourist-Visa-Single-Entry.jpg

Edited by steve187