Applying for Certificate of Residency

Hi gurus,

i am a retired 57 yo single American looking to relocate to Thailand and obtain a retirement Visa. I do not have any family currently in Thailand. Im currently on a 60 day tourist visa expiring on 31-Dec-17.  I discussed opening a Bank acct with Marketing Officer at Bankok Bank (in Hua Hin). She told me that i needed to obtain/produce a Certificate of Residency (CoR) that i could get from my Embassy. I have since learned that i can get this possibly n/c, at the local Immigration Office which I intend to do. I plan to do this at the immigration office local to where i intend to make my permanent residence (jomtien). My lease will not start till 5-january-18.

My question is:

Will Jomtien Immigration office grant me my CoR BEFORE my lease actually starts so i can then open a Thai bank account and then apply immediately for a Visa conversion to non-immigrant type-O, based on exploring retirement? I will of course produce the lease contract with the application for CoR.

thank you in advance on any advice. 

Cheers

David

It might be worthwhile try a few other banks or branches first.

Some are happy to open an account even on a tourist visa.

If possible have a good Thai friend go with you to help with a bit of translation if needed.

I'm sure someone will post soon with bank or branch details where you are most likely to be lucky.

Also you can extend your visa for another 30 days for 1900 baht at Imm' offices. Try a different Imm' office for the 30 days and ask at the same time about the cert', it's free but sometimes 200 to 500 baht is required for the free service, call it 'express service.'

?

Edited by overherebc

As above, go from bank to bank, even different branches of the same bank, one of them will open one. 

Bangkok bank will often accept a person who is already a customer to vouch for you.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

Fordeddaboutit re the certificate, do as the above posters recommend. Try in an area filled with farengs where the banks are usually more amenable. Thai friend along may help. Bangkok Bank tends to be a bit sticky, K-bank (green) is nice, also Ayuttayah (yellow). 

1 hour ago, keeniau96 said:

K-bank (green) is nice,

Yesterday K-Bank in Pattaya Klang declined to open an account unless one has a work permit. In the past they had opened two for me withut issues.

16 hours ago, paz said:

Yesterday K-Bank in Pattaya Klang declined to open an account unless one has a work permit. In the past they had opened two for me withut issues.

Go back tomorrow and they will have probably changed their policy or the person who wanted to see a work permit won't be working

I want to stay with Bangkok Bank for the access to the psuedo New York branch that makes it easy (and cheap) for me to xfer funds from my Brokerage acct. 

Peterw42, thanks for the link, that was helpful. 

Overherebc, yea aloy mak "express service"