Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Muggi1968

28 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

No need for me to keep my wits about me, I have a pension in my home country, the worst my Thai lady can do to me is run me out of money before the end of the month (if I let her). Next month it's all good again. It's the guys that come here with no pension and a big wadge of cash, and try to 'invest' that generally run into trouble. 

I'd agree that someone with a healthy pension--say around 100k/mo--is better off than someone with a big pile of cash and no pension.  Of course, it's better to have both.  But then, there's some who come to Thailand with neither. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'd agree that someone with a healthy pension--say around 100k/mo--is better off than someone with a big pile of cash and no pension.  Of course, it's better to have both.  But then, there's some who come to Thailand with neither. 

Many of my pals are doing OK in CM on 20k a month, and can afford a live in girlfriend with that. 100k ..... LUXURY!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The culture of social interaction, values and relationships.  Benefits are obvious.

So how does that differ than for other countries / communities? Do you mean family ties are stronger here and what are the obvious benefits. That was my point people  keep saying it but don't explain.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Many of my pals are doing OK in CM on 20k a month, and can afford a live in girlfriend with that. 100k ..... LUXURY!

Yes, I am not sure where these figures come from. I am in full time employ and don't spend anywhere near that figure. I live comfortably and am not missing out on anything. Most of my salary is being saved for retirement. This is in BKK. I would spend even less were I to live on my wife's hometown. 

I came here as a 19 year old and am 55 later this week. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It almost requires a strong understanding of the language to fully understand the culture.  If you were to ask me to explain the American culture, I'm not sure I'd be able to explain it in a way that would be helpful/useful.  You would have to immerse yourself in that culture...and of course, be able to speak the language.   

Still absolutely no explanation. Knowledge of language is always useful but if you are living in a thai community with limited language skills surely you would be observing and learning. Also if you are correct that a deep understanding of language help are you learning cultural negatves or positives? Where i agree is that i would struggle to explain British culture as well. I think culture is a much misused word and people aren't taking care when they use it

Edited by Gruff

4 minutes ago, Gruff said:

So how does that differ than for other countries / communities? Do you mean family ties are stronger here and what are the obvious benefits. That was my point people  keep saying it but don't explain.

Your question indicates that explaining to you would be a real large time-consuming chore.  You have so little cross-cultural understanding. (If you had a reasonable amount, you would never have asked that question) To learn about Thai Culture buy a book,  you might start with Culture Shock Thailand.

Where are you from, northern Michigan? 

Just now, Dante99 said:

Your question indicates that explaining to you would be a real large time-consuming chore.  You have so little cross-cultural understanding. (If you had a reasonable amount, you would never have asked that question) To learn about Thai Culture buy a book,  you might start with Culture Shock Thailand.

Where are you from, northern Michigan? 

What a 'cop out' that response is. If you use the word you should be able to explain it !  Instead your defence is to be insulting to me.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

........  If you were to ask me to explain the American culture, I'm not sure I'd be able to explain it in a way that would be helpful/useful. 

American culture, war, greed and cocaine

Thai culture, prostitution, greed and meth

Not all that different IMHO, the Thais just make love not war!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

American culture, war, greed and cocaine

Thai culture, prostitution, greed and meth

Not all that different IMHO, the Thais just make love not war!

In terms of culture neither country has a lot to be proud about ! 

Edited by Gruff

15 hours ago, Gruff said:

If you want to meet friends coffee shops in morning bars at night. i think there is something a bit weird  about going to a designated activity club not for the purpose of the designated activity but to meet people.

I think that's very ironic..., many, many people go to these 'designated activity clubs' to do exactly that...., to meet people(surprise, surprise)...., in fact some people even have the cheek to meet other people outside of these 'designated activity clubs' beforehand to find out about these 'designated activity clubs'. Imagine that if you can ?
Yes indeed..., It may well seem 'a bit weird' inside your head Gruff(no surprises there)..., that's completely fine, and of course, it's your free choice..., but fortunately in the real world.., different people get to make different choices..., if thats alright with you...? 
...., that's my opinion anyway.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, NancyL said:

I've known men who were eligible to return to the U.S. for admission to a VA hospital to treat a serious condition, yet they elect to remain here in Thailand and die because they can't come up with the funds for a return flight or their budget is otherwise very limited.

IMO you miss the point by a million miles.
Perhaps they CHOOSE to die in a country they love more than where they came from.

Perhaps they'd rather die surrounded by their family than back where they don't know anyone.

Perhaps they don't want to deprive their family of the money they need, by paying for flights etc.

Perhaps they don't want to be mutilated by the medics.

Perhaps they are just tired of life- life is not always wanted at any cost. Some would prefer to die without having to off themselves.

Life isn't so precious that one has to sacrifice family just so one can eke out a miserable life dependent on the beneficence of others.

23 hours ago, Gruff said:

Still absolutely no explanation. Knowledge of language is always useful but if you are living in a thai community with limited language skills surely you would be observing and learning. Also if you are correct that a deep understanding of language help are you learning cultural negatves or positives? Where i agree is that i would struggle to explain British culture as well. I think culture is a much misused word and people aren't taking care when they use it

surely you would be observing and learning

Yes, but in my case nothing to do with learning about the culture. I have no desire to be a Thai so why would I want to know more about the culture than I have to to survive?

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Quite right. What is this fixation some have with having to have vast amounts of money to live comfortably here? Thais live on a wage of 9,000 or less a month.

I'd like to know how I could afford a live in at 20,000 inclusive. Are they really ugly or something?

Frankly I find that hard to believe.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you miss the point by a million miles.
Perhaps they CHOOSE to die in a country they love more than where they came from.

Perhaps they'd rather die surrounded by their family than back where they don't know anyone.

Perhaps they don't want to deprive their family of the money they need, by paying for flights etc.

Perhaps they don't want to be mutilated by the medics.

Perhaps they are just tired of life- life is not always wanted at any cost. Some would prefer to die without having to off themselves.

Life isn't so precious that one has to sacrifice family just so one can eke out a miserable life dependent on the beneficence of others.

Many people will agree with that post but dare not say it out loud on this forum, or in public, for fear of ridicule.   

Many people move because their heart dictates it and not the brain.   I do not mean they are stupid just that they have decided that their new "love", of whatever kind, country, lifestyle, soulmate etc counts more than so called "common sense", "brains" or the "norm" back home. Lets take finance out of this.

Each person should be allowed to live their own new life as they wish to after having made their life changing move, (especially when it is now at no drain to those "folks back home" who they have already left for whatever reason(s) in the past).

I have been going to the Expat breakfasts for about 2 years now and I have met a lot of VERY nice people, but I do not just sit there, waiting for people to come and talk to me, I actually make an effort to reach out and meet people and it works very well. If you want to make new friend, you have to put a little effort into it.

3 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Does not the Thai govt require a minimum of 65K baht per month to issue a 'retirement visa'?  Unless so illegal deception, or temporary borrowing of the 800K lump sum, is happening, how can anyone get a long term Thai visa on 20K per month, and live happily?

Spending pattern does not have to equate to income stream.

Usually described as living / surviving well beyond your means as opposed to managing from paycheque to paycheque.

3 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Does not the Thai govt require a minimum of 65K baht per month to issue a 'retirement visa'?  Unless so illegal deception, or temporary borrowing of the 800K lump sum, is happening, how can anyone get a long term Thai visa on 20K per month, and live happily?

I can say I know many people who have only 800K locked in a bank and are on very poor pensions with no more than a few thousand pounds for back up. In a few cases, not even that. Mostly they cook for themselves, one or two I know own basic Condos, others rent rooms for around 3K a month and live Thai Style very much. Two of my friends over the years have died, and in most cases, no one within there home country gave a damn. I even know guys that have come back to Thailand to pass away when knowing they have cancer or some other illness that was untreatable.

It's a strange world and maybe for some people here, money may not mean a great deal to them. 

3 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

No the Thai govt does not require a minimum of 65K per month.  It is possible to have 800K for the required deposit and live on 20K per month and be happy.

4 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Nope, if you're married to a Thai you can live here forever with no savings and no income, but you do need ($35+) 5kbht for the VISA every 15 months, and enough for a border hop (4x $10) every 90 days. Easily doable on a Brit pension of 20k/month, especially if you're living on the misses rural farm, where there isn't much to buy or spend on.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 12/12/2017 at 9:47 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

I think that's very ironic..., many, many people go to these 'designated activity clubs' to do exactly that...., to meet people(surprise, surprise)...., in fact some people even have the cheek to meet other people outside of these 'designated activity clubs' beforehand to find out about these 'designated activity clubs'. Imagine that if you can ?
Yes indeed..., It may well seem 'a bit weird' inside your head Gruff(no surprises there)..., that's completely fine, and of course, it's your free choice..., but fortunately in the real world.., different people get to make different choices..., if thats alright with you...? 
...., that's my opinion anyway.

I was just expressing a point of view about the subject covered by the OP.  Not sure why you get so OTT about the view i expressed ! Perhaps i could have chosen a better word than weird but no offence was intended.

Edited by Gruff

5 hours ago, Gruff said:

I was just expressing a point of view about the subject covered by the OP.  Not sure why you get so OTT about the view i expressed ! Perhaps i could have chosen a better word than weird but no offence was intended.

Calling people that one does not know "weird" is pretty offensive in any context.

18 hours ago, Gruff said:

Yes of course you were..., exactly the same as I was expressing my own opine..., the telling and salient difference is you're well more experienced at harvesting detractors than moi.  

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

One does not have to be weird to live in Chiang Mai, but it helps. I am not weirdophobic.

I think living in Chiang Mai is making me weird :omfg:.

I'd love to move back to Pattaya, but from reading the Pattaya forum it seems the place has had a mass attack of weird, and isn't worth going to at the moment. Hopefully it has recovered from this unfortunate attack of weird by low season next year.

:biggrin: