Foreigners having a baby in Thailand.

Aimee101

The child would have South African citizenship. The child would absolutely not be a Thai citizen, and would not be able to have a Thai passport.

The child would receive a Thai birth certificate though, but not the same type of certificate a Thai citizen would receive.

The birth certificate is issued and parents details are captured in that cert if given, when baby is born in Thailand.  At this time the baby has no nationality yet. 

Citizenship for Thai national baby is determined at another step with birth cert and other documents which is done at the citizenship office for newborns or whatever it is called -I forget - and in case of foreign national, at their embassy with birth cert and other similar documents. 

Edited by Minnehaha

My Myanmar girlfriend had a baby to me, Australian, in Thailand and his birth certificate states " someone who is illegally or temporarily in Thailand" and also "not aquire Thai nationality".

I have made him Australian by Descent and I apply for his passport tomorrow.

I know a Thai couple living in South Africa who had a baby . What happens there is the child is not immediately offered a citizenship but only a birth certificate . At the age of 18 the child has the right to apply for a South African passport and citizenship if it so wishes . 

52 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

My Myanmar girlfriend had a baby to me, Australian, in Thailand and his birth certificate states " someone who is illegally or temporarily in Thailand" and also "not aquire Thai nationality".

I have made him Australian by Descent and I apply for his passport tomorrow.

Check if he doesn't get Myanmar citizenship as well... just in case he wants to run for PM some day :smile:

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

...At this time the baby has no nationality yet. 

Citizenship for Thai national baby is determined at another step with birth cert and other documents which is done at the citizenship office for newborns or whatever it is called -I forget - and in case of foreign national, at their embassy with birth cert and other similar documents. 

Either a child obtains citizenship by descent, or citizenship by virtue of being born in a country. Each country differs - for example Thailand grants citizenship by descent, and not by virtue of being born in the country.

A Thai baby that is born from at least one Thai parent obtains citizenship at birth. Clearly, however, the child needs to be registered at the district office for this to be recognised.

When a Thai child is born in Thailand their citizenship number is printed on their Thai birth certificate. This number stays with them for life.

You should have flown to the US.  You kid would be a US citizen now.  Thailand?  Ha ha ha ha ha.  You'll be needing to get the baby a visa quick-quick!  :passifier:

There is no need to get the baby a visa if it is born in Thailand, just a Thai birth certificate and a passport of the nationality he/she is eligible for (presumably South Africa). When you leave Thailand with the baby's South African passport, show the birth certificate at the airport passport control and an entry is made in the passport. A visa should be obtained when/if the baby/child returns to Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 7:33 PM, connda said:

You should have flown to the US.  You kid would be a US citizen now.  Thailand?  Ha ha ha ha ha.  You'll be needing to get the baby a visa quick-quick!  :passifier:

Perhaps an American Army base somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and the baby's chances are skyrocketing...Welcome Mr. President/