Last ‘open season’ for tourists visiting Phi Phi’s Maya Bay

snoop1130

Last ‘open season’ for tourists visiting Phi Phi’s Maya Bay

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1512039767_1-org.jpg

Phi Phi national park officers will start to limit the number of tourists allowed to visit Maya Bay from June next year. Photo: DNP

PHUKET:-- There will be no limit on the number of tourists allowed to visit the famed Maya Bay near Phi Phi Island during the upcoming tourism high season, the Chief of the Hat Nopparat- Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park, Worapoj Lomlim, has confirmed.

In fact, no protective measures to prevent environmental damage by overtourism will be enforced until June next year, Mr Worapoj told The Phuket News today (Nov 30).

“There will be no changes and no limit on the number of people allowed to enter and visit the bay until the ‘restoration period’ begins in June next year,” Mr Worapoj explained.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/last-open-season-for-tourists-visiting-phi-phi-maya-bay-64927.php#Gw0j6Pl0WArxvG5C.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-30

Today, tomorrow, next week, next June .... all too late I fear ! I have often 'sailed' into the bay early morning to escape the mass of high speed tourist boats which hit the bay by 08.30/09.00 .... whilst snorkelling in the bay, the bottom is riddled with rubbish, plastic bags and beer and soft drink cans mainly .... even saw small fish trapped in a bag trying to fight their way out ... it was too deep for me to go to the rescue.

Archived