Why do some of the BTS trains turn around at Bearing instead of Samrong?

BadCash

Was on the BTS towards Samrong the other day, and thought the train was standing still unusually long at Bearing station. When it started moving again, it turned out that it was going back! So I got off at  Bang Na, tried to ask the staff at the station what was going on but got only "no english"... Well, up at the platform again I noticed it said "The next train is for Samrong" on the TV-screens above the platform. So I got the next one and it did go to Samrong. Same thing happened yesterday - but at least I heard the announcement in the train so I could get off at Bang Na and wait for the next one. 

What's going on? Has it always been like this, or is this something temporary? I talked to someone I know who lives at Samrong but only infrequently uses the BTS, and they had never heard about it before!

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

More people get on at Bearing so rush hour trains often turn around there. Makes good sense and hopefully they'll continue it once the extension is complete.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It does make sense that less trains would travel all the way to less crowded stations. But it was definitely not rush hour when I went, it was in the middle of the day. So anybody who lives in Samrong just has to get used to getting off at Bang Na and waiting for the next train? Or is it a temporary solution until they've added more trains?

I should add that I've never seen so many people get off at a BTS station at the same train as in Samrong yesterday about 7pm! Literally the entire train got off (of course) and there were long queues to the exit gates... so there are definitely lots of people going to and from Samrong at peak hours.

It does make sense that less trains would travel all the way to less crowded stations. But it was definitely not rush hour when I went, it was in the middle of the day. So anybody who lives in Samrong just has to get used to getting off at Bang Na and waiting for the next train? Or is it a temporary solution until they've added more trains?

I should add that I've never seen so many people get off at a BTS station at the same train as in Samrong yesterday about 7pm! Literally the entire train got off (of course) and there were long queues to the exit gates... so there are definitely lots of people going to and from Samrong at peak hours.

In the morning rush hour it's impossible to get on at Phra Khanong so, as I have plenty of time, I go in the opposite direction (I work in Chitlom) and then just stay on when it turns around. About every other train turns around at Bearing, rather than Samrong, and many more people get on at Bearing. When it turns around at Samrong there are sometimes still empty seats when it leaves.

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In the morning rush hour it's impossible to get on at Phra Khanong so, as I have plenty of time, I go in the opposite direction (I work in Chitlom) and then just stay on when it turns around. About every other train turns around at Bearing, rather than Samrong, and many more people get on at Bearing. When it turns around at Samrong there are sometimes still empty seats when it leaves.

My station is Punnawitthi and even that is getting bad at rush hour. I may have to try doing what you do. 

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sounds pretty terrible :/ 

I once dated someone who lived in Bearing, and she said that she might move to Samrong when it opens just so she could get a seat on the BTS in the morning... At first I thought it was a joke, but now I'm pretty sure it was 50/50.