Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thailand

Thought it would appeal only to a small group but maybe I am wrong

You are not wrong, in fact most people who practice this martial arts began to have an intrest after they saw it working in real fights or fighting events with none or very little rules. (like UFC)..

In Europe and Asia people started to know about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu just

in the last 2 or 3 years.

In USA for example is the faster growing martial arts.

Thanks also to Royce Gracie and the UFC competition (Ultimate Fighting Championship).

In Thailand this fighting sport event was on UBC and some people

got really interested watching a small guy winning over bigger guys

in no limit, no rules, no gloves, everything goes fights.

But for people who did not see what BJJ (Brazilian Jiu JItsu) can do, it is not easy to understand

and maybe yes, it may look strange or not apealing.

Bjj is for real fighting and self defense. Some other martial arts (and i did many before BJJ),

are excellent for the body and mind, but they don't really work in a real street fight,

expecially when you are maybe 65kg and the other guy is 95... in a situation like that,

if you start punching and the other guy does it too.. most probably you will end up KO...

cause real life is not like a bruce lee movie.. ehehehe

:o

royce-kungfu.jpg

RoyceDefSevern_CHK.jpg

I love watching him, he is a great fighter as so was his father - thanks for the info on this!

Aikido and Wing Chun Kung <deleted> are also a great style of fighting - they both use the opponents strength agaist him - great for any sized person.. My brother is very skilled in Wing Chun and I have seen him "apply" the one inch punch on a very big loud mouth bloke in a pub once - they guy flew over two tables - at least 12 foot!

By the way - I just phoned for my first class - I cant wait - thanks!

The original UFC with Royce Gracie were the best. The later ones have been softened with all the new rules (no elbows, no kicking on the ground, no knees on the ground, no headbutting, etc.) One of my favorites was when Gracie choked a man out with the man's own shirt (gi). Another was a man standing over Gracie and punching downward at him like a mad man. Gracie caught the man's arm and forced a tap out. Awesome.

Yes, Royce open the eyes to many martial arts students.. the first UFC were really the best to watch as they were 'pure' style vs. another style. Now most fighters have the same mixed martial art background, standing/ground, so it is became sometimes boring.. PRIDE FCthe japanse version of UFC, even if still with rules ect. it is the best mixed martial event today and the best fighters are there now not in UFC or in other events. That is really for the top. I study BJJ with Royce and he really tecnical in everything he show you!

• 7 months later...
Just wanted to let everybody know that now there is Gracie Jiu Jitsu directly from the Gracie family in Brazil. If intrested can learn more here:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Thailand

Sorry if it sounded like advertising...

Hi I'm a past canadian champion in freestyle wrestling I also competed in sombo and placed 3rd at the world champoinships,,74 kg,, are there any clubs in Thailand that offer these disaplins :o

good to see more people getting interested in ju jitsu in thailand....its rough finding much more than thai boxing ( which i still love ) sometimes in los.

another good club is bangkok fight club www.bangkokfightclub.com , i rolled with those guys for a few months last year and had a blast, great learning enviro... lol as for sambo or freestyle wrestling, good luck man, as i said before, this is a country geared towards kickboxing. But thiers no doubt that thiers expats out thier doin sambo, you just gotta find em:P

BJJ is an interesting fighting system. One of my cousins did BJJ for a few years and got pretty good at it. I love Muay Thai and I've been training for the past two years since moving to Thailand. However, I feel that BJJ offers the ground fighting aspect not found in many fighting styles and would be an excellent compliment to Muay Thai. Muay Thai and BJJ are incomplete in themselves since Muay Thai lacks the groundfighting element and BJJ is limited in its striking techniques. To be a well-rounded fighter you really need to learn both standup and groundfighting. The ex-UFC champion Marco Ruas of Brazil was both a skilled BJJ and Muay Thai fighter making his style very effective. He could beat you standing or on the ground just as easily.

Bjj is not effective unfortunately against an armed opponent or multiple opponents which places its street effectiveness below that of many military/special forces fighting systems such as SCARS or Krav Maga. However, I think it would be beneficial in most situations for non-military/police people. Bangkok Fight Club looks to be a great place to pick up lost of BJJ and other stuff the fees are way too much for those of us living here and earning Thai money.