3rd land border but now on 'o'?

hello there, at the start of the year i was on non 'o' then after that was on exempts. did a land hop at ban laem and one with those lovely lot in poipet who marked the stamp with a red 2 and told me no more(didn't ask to see cash btw) anyway i am back on non imm multi and have been out on it once to HK. i was going to go away at xmas but i'm not 100% sure now but in case i don't am i allowed to do a land border hop or will it be deemed as i can't as it third time this year? thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i am back on non imm multi ... i was going to go away at xmas ... am i allowed to do a land border hop or will it be deemed as i can't as it third time this year?

With a Non-O Multi Entry Visa you are allowed to leave and re-enter Thailand unlimited times by land or air, receiving 90-days permitted-stay on each entry, up until the "Enter Before" date on the Visa.

BUT - the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing has been known to make up non-existent rules - telling travelers on Multi-Non-Os, "You must fly back in."  It doesn't really matter if it is not true, since the personnel at that checkpoint seem to have been given leeway to enforce whatever rules they choose to invent.

Everywhere else, you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JackThompson said:

With a Non-O Multi Entry Visa you are allowed to leave and re-enter Thailand unlimited times by land or air, receiving 90-days permitted-stay on each entry, up until the "Enter Before" date on the Visa.

BUT - the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing has been known to make up non-existent rules - telling travelers on Multi-Non-Os, "You must fly back in."  It doesn't really matter if it is not true, since the personnel at that checkpoint seem to have been given leeway to enforce whatever rules they choose to invent.

Everywhere else, you should be fine.

will probably be in bkk then and that bloody poipet is the easiest for me to drive to as well 555. ok thanks JT. I'll give them a miss this time i think

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

will probably be in bkk then and that bloody poipet is the easiest for me to drive to as well 555. ok thanks JT. I'll give them a miss this time i think

Since you have a valid visa for entry you could do the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi province. It is a little closer than Poi Pet and there is no visa sticker done. You pay about 960 baht for transport across no mans land and the border pass (500 baht)for Myanmar.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/T36456zwSh82

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you have a valid visa for entry you could do the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi province. It is a little closer than Poi Pet and there is no visa sticker done. You pay about 960 baht for transport across no mans land and the border pass (500 baht)for Myanmar.

thanks UJ, any idea the times the border opens and closes?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

This option also avoids the growing corruption costs for a VOA for entering Cambodia - especially if with a same-day return.  The total-fees into either country should be close to the same (transport+border-pass costs to Myanmar vs just the VOA for Cambodia) - but some are reporting near-double that, to payoff the VOA guys on the Cambodian side to let them come back the same day.

Myanmar is now the option-of-choice for Multi-Entry Visa holders, within a reasonable distance, unless/until Cambodia becomes more friendly, again.

Edited by JackThompson

cheers guys, if i need to i may give it a try, hadn't even heard of this border. the concern with poipet is if i do get an <deleted> immo and they make me fly back in it would be a nightmare. would have to get to airport then to bkk and then get someone take me all the way back to poipet to pick my car up. could do without that shit. we'll see anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

cheers guys, if i need to i may give it a try, hadn't even heard of this border. the concern with poipet is if i do get an <deleted> immo and they make me fly back in it would be a nightmare. would have to get to airport then to bkk and then get someone take me all the way back to poipet to pick my car up. could do without that shit. we'll see anyway. 

A better solution, if you got stuck at Poipet: Take a bus or van to Battambang, then a shared-taxi to the border at Ban Laem, and re-enter Thailand there.  You'd still have to bus/taxi back to Aranyaprathet for your car, though - would be a very long day.

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A better solution, if you got stuck at Poipet: Take a bus or van to Battambang, then a shared-taxi to the border at Ban Laem, and re-enter Thailand there.  You'd still have to bus/taxi back to Aranyaprathet for your car, though - would be a very long day.

a night out in hcmc might be the way forward 555

i don't do buses or vans anymore, too many scary experiences

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 2

sorry guys, just a few quick questions if anyone can help. i was thinking of maybe going kanchan early saturday in a few weeks and stay in a resort for a night with the mrs then go to Ban Phu Nam Ron border crossing sunday. has anyone been across this border? just wondering what it's like? if it's pretty horrible crossing then i'd probably not take the mrs but if not to painful then she could tag along. i take it she would have to pay the border pass and would it cost her 1k for transport across too. just out of interest 1k is quite alot is it quite far to get across? how long do you think it would take to go over and back as could get her to wait on thai side and if i do that is there anything around there for her to do until i get back. may give it a go but if it's too much hassle i think we'll just go hcmc for the weekend . . . . or maybe i could just go and do this border myself and leave the mrs at home. is there safe parking on thai side?

Edited by Happy enough