Passport stolen - can I get a replacement visa?

My passport disappeared (along with my WP etc) last month, and I've now replaced it. What's particularly annoying is that only a few months go I went to Kota Baru and got a new 12-month Non-im B visa. When I took this to the local immigration office (Koh Samui) together with a report from The police and a request from my employer to transfer the visa, they only gave me the existing 90-day extension of stay (ie the date that I had on my TM6 card) and not the visa itself. (Even though they noted on the stamp that it was a non-im B extension of stay . . . )

I was able to show them photographs of the (now-missing) visa but they insisted that only an embassy or consulate could replace the visa - or perhaps copy the official info into my new passport - they weren't sure if this was possible.

So my question is thus - if I go back to Kota Baru and explain, will they issue me some kind of official transfer of the visa that I paid 8,000 (?) baht for a few months back? 

I have no intention of going all the way there just for them to grin and say no can do.

Thanks in anticipation!

• Like 1

Immigration is not allowed to reissue your visa.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok has a visa section, and they might be able to help you after contacting Kota Bharu. If not, at least they should be able to tell you whether a trip to Kota Bharu would be worthwhile. However, with your being in Samui, I really do not know what to suggest. Do you visit Bangkok at all?

• Like 2

My passport expired and I brought my new PP to Immigration and they transferred my visa.

I would go back and ask for the form to transfer a visa to a new PP. Fill out the forum have the photocopy of your visa with you and play dumb.

They should transfer the visa.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robsamui said:

My passport disappeared (along with my WP etc) last month, and I've now replaced it. What's particularly annoying is that only a few months go I went to Kota Baru and got a new 12-month Non-im B visa.

Your multiple entry non-b visa was lost when you lost your passport. You will have to apply for a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

My passport expired and I brought my new PP to Immigration and they transferred my visa.

I would go back and ask for the form to transfer a visa to a new PP. Fill out the forum have the photocopy of your visa with you and play dumb.

They should transfer the visa.

Are you sure? Or are you using the word 'visa' when you mean something different? Such as your extension of stay, with a date stamp on it?

Thanks for the advice, but I already know that immigration can't issue or transfer visas.

My question asks about having the consulate which issued my original (and currently still valid?) visa transferring evidence of this to a new passport.

Does anyone know if a consulate or embassy can transfer an existing visa to a new passport? 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your multiple entry non-b visa was lost when you lost your passport. You will have to apply for a new one.

So is the "visa" the actual piece of paper in the passport? The passport is lost, so the visa ceases to exist? Even though it is registered via paperwork and computer records that I have qualified for and paid for a visa last week, it is cancelled the following week because somebody steals my passport? And no way to redress this?

Edited by robsamui

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

So is the "visa" the actual piece of paper in the passport? The passport is lost, so the visa ceases to exist? Even though it is registered via paperwork and computer records that I have qualified for and paid for a visa last week, it is cancelled the following week because somebody steals my passport? And no way to redress this?

Common sense tells me the Visa is issued to that particular passport, if the passport is lost, then so is the Visa - as others have said, if this is an extension of stay, Immigration may be able to replace it, but not an actual Visa, Only Consulates and Embassies can issue a Visa.

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Common sense tells me the Visa is issued to that particular passport, if the passport is lost, then so is the Visa - as others have said, if this is an extension of stay, Immigration may be able to replace it, but not an actual Visa, Only Consulates and Embassies can issue a Visa.

Yes, I think that is the salient point. A visa cannot, under any circumstances, be transferred from one passport to another (unlike permissions to stay and extensions). Since it cannot be transferred, it cannot be affixed anew to a different passport.

Since only the Consulates (under the MFA) issue visas - not immigration - a long-shot would be the "Department of Consular Affairs" office?  If issued the wrong type of visa, they can change the type.  Maybe they can restore a lost visa? 

This thread discusses someone going to that office to change the "type" of a visa they were issued, in error, by a consulate: