Lost out of date Driving Licence.

NoshowJones

What is the first thing I should do here? My licence has ran out sometime this month, but I can't find it.

How long have I got to get a new one?

This being Thailand, I suppose each office will have it's own rules. Five years ago I just went in and they

issued me with a new one, no tests or anything like that.

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

will need reporting as lost to the police, then renew as normal, if its the 2nd 5 year licence then you will have to watch a movie and lecture.

I'm not sure you need the Police Report any more, If I'm not mistaken that requirement was abolished (at lest for Thai's). 

Depending on how long your License has expired.... IF it has expired more than 12 months and you have a License and IDP you will have to Watch 'the movie' and do a couple of minor tests (eye test, brake test)...  you may get away without an IDP if your license is from an English speaking nation (i.e. License is in English). 

If your license has expired for less than 12 months renewal may be a simpler process. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure you need the Police Report any more, If I'm not mistaken that requirement was abolished (at lest for Thai's). 

Depending on how long your License has expired.... IF it has expired more than 12 months and you have a License and IDP you will have to Watch 'the movie' and do a couple of minor tests (eye test, brake test)...  you may get away without an IDP if your license is from an English speaking nation (i.e. License is in English). 

If your license has expired for less than 12 months renewal may be a simpler process. 

I presume the OP is referring to a Thai license? Because if more than 12 months he will have to do a new test, since it concerns a Thai license lost, the foreign license is not applicable anymore. If less than 12 months, policereport and go to the DLT to renew.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I presume the OP is referring to a Thai license? Because if more than 12 months he will have to do a new test, since it concerns a Thai license lost, the foreign license is not applicable anymore. If less than 12 months, policereport and go to the DLT to renew.

I recently (November '17) made the mistake of being just over a year out on my License renewal... (silly mistake on my part misreading the dates). 

At the DLT I was asked for my UK License after which I had to do the Color Test, Emergency Brake Test, Proximity test (depth of field or what ever its called) and watch the 45 minute video. 

The UK license prevented me from having to sit the whole test.

My Wife lost her license last year and received a replacement without a Police Report which is no longer necessary - This may just be for Thai's, it could be different for a foreigner. 

Ops Best Option: 

Get a Medical Certificate & Affirmation of Residence, go down to his nearest DLT with his overseas license and they'll tell him exactly whats required.

As commonly happens in Thailand, different districts may well have a different interpretation of the requirements.

19 hours ago, steve187 said:

will need reporting as lost to the police, then renew as normal, if its the 2nd 5 year licence then you will have to watch a movie and lecture.

The licence I have lost is the first 5 year licence, this one will be my second, if I have to watch a movie then so be it. I will just listen to my music on my smartphone will there silly movie is on.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it is a Thai driving licence and only just expired.

I lost my wallet with it in. I reported my wallet lose and its contents. They gave me a document. Went down the the licence office, showed them my passport, yellow house book I received a replacement the same day, around 1 hour. They have your records and license details.

19 hours ago, shaurene said:

I lost my wallet with it in. I reported my wallet lose and its contents. They gave me a document. Went down the the licence office, showed them my passport, yellow house book I received a replacement the same day, around 1 hour. They have your records and license details.

Great help, I have all these things, thank you.

19 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

No police report required Any More. 

Are you absolutely sure about this? There is about 3 Ks of dreadful roadworks to get through on my motorbike to get to the local police station, and it would be great to avoid this.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are you absolutely sure about this? There is about 3 Ks of dreadful roadworks to get through on my motorbike to get to the local police station, and it would be great to avoid this.

Could easily be that at Cyclone's DLT it is not required anymore. But at your DLT?

With Richard saying the same I have hope though that it is not required any more all over the country.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Could easily be that at Cyclone's DLT it is not required anymore. But at your DLT?

With Richard saying the same I have hope though that it is not required any more all over the country.

That's just another example of this country, too many establishments all making up their own rules, Immigration offices, Banks, Schools, DLTs, etc,etc,etc,etc.

On 09/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, shaurene said:

I took my yellow house book with me to renew my car licence, They were not interested in it so I had to get my wife to drive 60 Ks with her blue book. Remember, this is Thailand, and different organisations all make up their own rules, a yellow housebook, a Thai ID card, and a Thai motorbike licence, and they still need my wifes housebook?????  as I said "This is Thailand".