Why Are Baht Bus Taxis In Pattaya Four Times Bangkok Taxis?

Weho

Like it or not Baht Bus is here to stay, and I predict you won't see any metered taxi(s) in Pattaya apart from pre-bookings or drop offs from airport elsewhere. Acceptance is the key to happiness. :D

Lor - no you won't get the ride for 10bht in a metered taxi. Just imagine the same amount of taxi(s) roaming Pattaya as BKK. :o

No need to get rid of baht buses, they are useful. However, another layer in the public transport scene would be useful. Baht buses have their limitations (self imposed). It is, for example, almost impossible to get the 10 baht baht bus even on 3rd Road. The market would largely determin the number of taxis. i.e. low demand - low supply. A good start would be to allow Bangkok Taxis down here after bring a fare here to use their meters to pick up passengers whilst waiting for a fare back to Bangkok. Perhaps baht bus driver might just consider expanding the scope of their services at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also wait a very long time for a baht bus on Tepprasit, which usually never comes. And there is no map ANYWHERE for tourists, or anyone else, explaining the ROUTES of the baht buses. And if you are heading WEST, towards the beach on say Central Pattaya Road (Pattaya Klang), you have no idea if the baht bus will turn to the left, or turn to the right, whenhe gets to Second Road. And if you dare speak, and ask, then all of the sudden, it's no longer a baht bus for 10 baht, it's now a TAXI, for like 100 or 200 baht.

And those silly red, green and yellow air conditioned busses, than go like once every two hours, are a total waste. There should be metered air conditioned Bangkok-style taxis, IN ADDITION to the baht buses. I don't see what the big deal is... but I guess there must be some kickbacks/mafia/syndicat involved.

You can also wait a very long time for a baht bus on Tepprasit, which usually never comes. And there is no map ANYWHERE for tourists, or anyone else, explaining the ROUTES of the baht buses. And if you are heading WEST, towards the beach on say Central Pattaya Road (Pattaya Klang), you have no idea if the baht bus will turn to the left, or turn to the right, whenhe gets to Second Road. And if you dare speak, and ask, then all of the sudden, it's no longer a baht bus for 10 baht, it's now a TAXI, for like 100 or 200 baht.

And those silly red, green and yellow air conditioned busses, than go like once every two hours, are a total waste. There should be metered air conditioned Bangkok-style taxis, IN ADDITION to the baht buses. I don't see what the big deal is... but I guess there must be some kickbacks/mafia/syndicat involved.

Yes, it would be good to hear from some Thais about this, but on surface it appears to be some combintion of a very powerful baht bus transport mafia, a local government that either doesn't care about the welfare of both the citizens and tourists in their city or are simply afraid of the mafia, and the lack of action for change from local people who if you ask them will also admit many baht bus drivers when they act as taxis are basically thugs. Just my theory. Too bad more Thais don't post on this board.

Now I know some will say most Thai's can't afford taxi meter fares. Perhaps, but I know for certain that many local Thais use the Pattaya moto taxis everyday and often pay similar to what they would pay for a Bangkok taxi meter. The moto "taxi" mafia is probably another strong factor in keeping the utterly crappy status quo.

I agree we aren't going to see taxi meters in Pattaya anytime soon. A move for change to fight the transport mafia must come from Thais, and I don't see any hint of it. Pehaps an English language press that wasn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers might help too, but that isn't going to happen either. Thats why I asked before, how did they ever manage to do this in Chiang Mai?

Edited by Jingthing

using baht buses as a taxi is just another pattaya rip off. bangkok taxis are great. anybody know anyone at sophon tv?? maybe they can get that fat fella to ask some questions of the local officials, instead of talking to another bar owner.

using baht buses as a taxi is just another pattaya rip off. bangkok taxis are great. anybody know anyone at sophon tv?? maybe they can get that fat fella to ask some questions of the local officials, instead of talking to another bar owner.

Yeah! Lets get that fat fella on this post haste.

You mean Howard Miller, I assume. He would never take the risk of upsetting anyone in authority - his earning power depends on keeping everyone happy.

When in Thailand I live in Suksabai Villa, up Soi 17 between Thepprasit and Pattaya Tai. Not on any baht bus route, so I walk about 1 1/2 kilometres to TukCom and catch a BB from there. Has anyone else tried walking? It is the cheapest form of transport that I know. I also have a push-bike, but it is a Thai make and much too small for me. So if you see a farang tooling along Thepprasit with a windsurfer strapped to his back, wave :-)

I think the baht bus system serves well on the main routes. I have been sozzled many a time down walking street and walked up soi lucky star through to 2nd road and flagged down a baht bus for 10 baht to Tops, a long distance for a small fare. However as some of you have pointed out, it is useless if you want to go direct to your home out of the way.

From Walking Street to my condo near Carrefour it can cost 100 baht off the street and 150 baht if it is closing time and you must hit the queue. A motorbike taxi is about 60 baht from Walking. Yeah compare that to Bangkok taxis it is very expensive.

The option might be to allow current baht bus owners to renew their transport to an aircon metered taxi or have the option to keep his baht bus "traditional Pattaya". I think a baht bus type transport might be cheaper to buy so they probably would not opt for that. A trade off for metered taxis is the way to go but how to get existing baht bus owners to get in on it is another matter.

You mean Howard Miller, I assume. He would never take the risk of upsetting anyone in authority - his earning power depends on keeping everyone happy.

When in Thailand I live in Suksabai Villa, up Soi 17 between Thepprasit and Pattaya Tai. Not on any baht bus route, so I walk about 1 1/2 kilometres to TukCom and catch a BB from there. Has anyone else tried walking? It is the cheapest form of transport that I know. I also have a push-bike, but it is a Thai make and much too small for me. So if you see a farang tooling along Thepprasit with a windsurfer strapped to his back, wave :-)

yes ,thats the guy. i thought his name was howard ,but wasnt sure as i only tune in about once a month ,as it seems thats about how often the news items change. it would be a much more interesting and watchable tv chanell if they did ask a few hard questions about things which concern the farang community (such as the baht bus issue) instead of endless ads and endorsements for any establishment that cares to be featured(good or bad!!). :o

Of course, displaced baht bus drivers would be naturals for taxi meter drivers, but first I suggest a criminal background check and perhaps a yaba rehab program for those who need it.

maybe its the background check thats the problem ??

Like it or not Baht Bus is here to stay, and I predict you won't see any metered taxi(s) in Pattaya apart from pre-bookings or drop offs from airport elsewhere. Acceptance is the key to happiness. :D

Lor - no you won't get the ride for 10bht in a metered taxi. Just imagine the same amount of taxi(s) roaming Pattaya as BKK. :D

As a Pattaya resident myself, I thank god for cars and MC's. I'm living on a soi of sukhumvit (eastern side). For me to get to downtown Patt. I will have to use three bath busses (not considering the hassle walking down the soi to get to sukhumvit).

so here is the travel route:

1 One white song teaw southbound past pattaya klang, stop at a walking bridge to get northbound (or walk in the heat and get wet and sweaty). :o

2 One white song teaw to pattaya klang.

3 walk a couple of 100 meters and find the empty blue song teaws. (this means negotiatimg prices and all sorts of anoying stuff, esp. if in a hurry)

On a lucky day, that means 60 bath a day for a roundtrip. I guess I've could have a taxi meter for that, or close to it incl. taxi waiting

So as far as I'm concerned SCRAP the song teaws and get better transportation :D

It's a pity it won't happen, this being Thailand and all :D

Lor - no you won't get the ride for 10bht in a metered taxi. Just imagine the same amount of taxi(s) roaming Pattaya as BKK. :D

As a Pattaya resident myself, I thank god for cars and MC's. I'm living on a soi of sukhumvit (eastern side). For me to get to downtown Patt. I will have to use three bath busses (not considering the hassle walking down the soi to get to sukhumvit).

1 One white song teaw southbound past pattaya klang, stop at a walking bridge to get northbound (or walk in the heat and get wet and sweaty). :o

3 walk a couple of 100 meters and find the empty blue song teaws. (this means negotiatimg prices and all sorts of anoying stuff, esp. if in a hurry)

On a lucky day, that means 60 bath a day for a roundtrip. I guess I've could have a taxi meter for that, or close to it incl. taxi waiting

So as far as I'm concerned SCRAP the song teaws and get better transportation :D

sounds like a lot of hassle,which is why i wont consider living in east pattaya.would consider it if there were metered taxis

Like it or not Baht Bus is here to stay, and I predict you won't see any metered taxi(s) in Pattaya apart from pre-bookings or drop offs from airport elsewhere. Acceptance is the key to happiness. :bah:

sounds like a lot of hassle,which is why i wont consider living in east pattaya.would consider it if there were metered taxis

You let a taxi system good or bad decide where you live

Ha Ha Ha, Give it a rest mate.

:D

:o

Huh?

Most anybody with a brain considers the transport situation before choosing a home. Why do you think housing near the Skytrain is so popular and sold at a premium in Bangkok? For the auto dependent, commute times to work or play is also considered by most.

Edited by Jingthing

Huh?

Most anybody with a brain considers the transport situation before choosing a home. Why do you think housing near the Skytrain is so popular and sold at a premium in Bangkok? For the auto dependent, commute times to work or play is also considered by most.

We were talking about different areas of pattaya

But anyone with a brain would understand that in the pattaya section. Huh? Huh?

Put the top back on the glue sticks, then your be ok.

Huh?

We were talking about different areas of pattaya

But anyone with a brain would understand that in the pattaya section. Huh? Huh?

Put the top back on the glue sticks, then your be ok.

Anyone WITH a brain will give serious thought about public transportation. As far as myself, I would NEVER even consider living on the wrong side of Sukhumvit (East) without a vehicle. Location is an important factor for most people.

I live on the easten part of pattaya it would be nice to have some good transport like metered taxis but it will never happen. :o The powers that be have no forward thinking on public transport in this city, becase anything they do to improve the public transport system in this city is underminded by the 5 baht bus company. :D I gave up useing them a longtime ago I use leg power most of time which is good excerise, or I use my car. :D I try not to support the 5 baht bus company who keep this citys public transport system from improving that is all I can do as a farang but I know it will not change much as TIT. :D

Like it or not Baht Bus is here to stay, and I predict you won't see any metered taxi(s) in Pattaya apart from pre-bookings or drop offs from airport elsewhere. Acceptance is the key to happiness. :bah:

:D

not the only reason ,but certainly one of them . its called using your brain and making choices . hahaha :bah:

yes ,thats the guy. i thought his name was howard ,but wasnt sure as i only tune in about once a month ,as it seems thats about how often the news items change. it would be a much more interesting and watchable tv chanell if they did ask a few hard questions about things which concern the farang community (such as the baht bus issue) instead of endless ads and endorsements for any establishment that cares to be featured(good or bad!!). :o

You'd never get any advertising, if you raised subjects that reflected badly on the local administration. So this will not happen on Sophon or in the local print media.

One of the things that gets up my nose (literally as well as figuratively) is that these crappy old pick-ups are all diesel powered, no chance of LNG conversion.

On the fixed routes followed by most sawng thaews, it would be simple to put in large capacity busses, like the London red busses. Not the silly little Tonka Toys that the city council tried last year, but largw capacity people movers. They would be roughly the same cost as a baht bus - no air-con, open windows. And the baht busses could then operate the feeder sois, Soi Korpai, soi 17 in South Pattaya, soi buakhow, add your own preference.

Topic for discussion at a TV piss-up??

We have a heap of tuk tuks in Sriracha, baht buses run the main routes, motocy taxis let you look at some legs.

I say bring on the tuk tuk.

Sure, they can be a pain, but to be honest most of the time I would rather take a tuk tuk to Robinsons than drive, my wife however thinks this is below us so I have to drive :o

Tuk tuks will solve all problems, always.......especially the Hitech tuk tuk, we had some running around Sriracha before the Apec summit the other year, they looked good, aircon, quiet and good for the environment.

Bring on the Pattaya tuk tuk....

We have a heap of tuk tuks in Sriracha, baht buses run the main routes, motocy taxis let you look at some legs.

I say bring on the tuk tuk.

Sure, they can be a pain, but to be honest most of the time I would rather take a tuk tuk to Robinsons than drive, my wife however thinks this is below us so I have to drive :o

Tuk tuks will solve all problems, always.......especially the Hitech tuk tuk, we had some running around Sriracha before the Apec summit the other year, they looked good, aircon, quiet and good for the environment.

Bring on the Pattaya tuk tuk....

Full marks for trying again tuky....but hopefully we will never see them in Patters :D

There are tuk tuks in Pattaya.

But I think they service one of the big hotels - maybe Dusit??

I was thinking on these same lines, but these are really only practical to take one fereng (or one fereng with a couple of TBG's), not a good way to have a service.

But better than moto's for short trips? Maybe I'll still invest in a few and park them at a moto-cy gathering point. Will need machine guns for the drivers though.

Baht buses that are greener is on my transport fantasy list. Thought the issue of allowing taxi meters a good start. I also feel little hope the dismal transport system will change, though for the third time, it did change in Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai is in Thailand. So theoretically it is possible. Hmmm, wonder if Thaksin had something to do with it as he is an (ex) Chiang Mai man.

Edited by Jingthing

The tourists who never venture further east than 3rd road is out in force again "cheap, plenty, convenient". Maybe it is as long as you only need to travel around the tourist path of Beachroad, Second road and Jomtien. Try to catch a baht bus to one of the estates in East Pattaya. Yes, over on the other side of Sukhumvit. Have you looked at a Pattaya map lately? You don't get a baht bus to take you out there for less than 200 baht. And no, you can't just jump on one going in that directions because none does. The ride is dirty, smoky, hot, inconvenient, dangerous and expensive.

Please explain why anyone is obligated to provide cheap, comfortable, convenient transportation to you anywhere you want to go, even if it is economically not viable to do so?

What socialist country are you a refugee from?

TH

... Tuk-tuks are also a scourge in Bangkok, but I estimate are used 90% by tourists, and usually only once as the tourist soon catches on to the various scams perpetrated by the drivers.

Actually I think if you got off of Sukhumvit you find that your figures are reversed. Most Tuk-Tuk in Bangkok would starve if they depended on tourist for 90% of business. I see hundreds of tuk-tuk every day and rarely see a tourist in one

Those who have written that baht buses are adequate for a city the size of Pattaya don't consider the elderly, the partially disabled, those with luggage and shopping parcels, etc. to say nothing of the humidity and diesel fumes. I suppose many who think baht buses are a good thing don't venture far from central Pattaya or who have their own cars or motorbikes.

This is not just about tourists or part-timers. What about the people who live here?

Uh, maybe buy a car or motorcycle? I ask again, what socialist country are you a refugee from?

TH

The tourists who never venture further east than 3rd road is out in force again "cheap, plenty, convenient". Maybe it is as long as you only need to travel around the tourist path of Beachroad, Second road and Jomtien. Try to catch a baht bus to one of the estates in East Pattaya. Yes, over on the other side of Sukhumvit. Have you looked at a Pattaya map lately? You don't get a baht bus to take you out there for less than 200 baht. And no, you can't just jump on one going in that directions because none does. The ride is dirty, smoky, hot, inconvenient, dangerous and expensive.

Please explain why anyone is obligated to provide cheap, comfortable, convenient transportation to you anywhere you want to go, even if it is economically not viable to do so?

What socialist country are you a refugee from?

TH

Oh, pleeeeze.

That same ride in a Bangkok taxi meter would be well under 80 baht. Nobody is talking about charity rides. Just reasonable public transport alternatives that aren't ripoffs. You see, Mr. Capitalist, when there is a free competition and a range of transport options without mafias that restrict alternatives, prices go down and quality goes up.

Back to taxis, I don't see how any reasonable person can think that something isn't really fishy about a city the size of Pattaya (in population, land area, and tourist numbers) that makes it illegal for metered aircon taxis to operate. It isn't because they aren't sorely needed or wanted, it is because powerful forces are stopping this from happening.

Edited by Jingthing

So what would happen if taxis were available in Pattaya?

Obviously they would be cruising around where the customers are, along Beach Rd, Second Rd and Jomtien Beach Rd, exactly the same areas where the Baht busses are cruising, making traffic even worse.

They would also struggle to get customers as flag fall is 35Baht compared to 5-10Baht for a short Baht bus ride, ok, with three passengers in the Taxi the fare is more even.

You would not see any taxis cruising around Thepprasit, Third Rd or East of Sukhumvit.

What would happen if you flagged a taxi on beach rd and wanted to go home, somewhere east of Sukhumvit rd?

Obviously the driver would decline or ask for something like 200Baht as 9 times out of 10 he would have to drive empty back to city. Same deal as in Bangkok when the driver is not interested to go to your destination.

Ok, the choice of taxis would be nice but the only way it would work would be to have a few Taxi depots around the city where they waited for customers and the possibility of calling for a taxi. Cruising taxis, like in Bangkok, would not be economical for the drivers and would completely clog up the already bad traffic.

ZZZ, you don't know that. You don't know that there isn't a demand outside the main tourist areas. And, yes, taxi meters that you call are also good and used in cities like Pattaya all over the world. I really don't understand the resistance to this idea. In fact, the idea that a city the size of Pattaya does not have taxis is really the radical idea and obviously caused by artificial dark forces, and not natural supply and demand. The only place I have ever had a driver that wont turn on the meter in Bangkok is Silom and you can walk a few minutes to get a metered one. You are correct, there are times taxis don't want to go where you want to go. With a stong city government, that could be stopped with fines for drivers who won't take passengers; I know this is not done in Thailand, but perhaps an international city like Pattaya would be a good first place to try. A dynamic you are conveniently ignoring is that with this idea, baht buses are still running which provide strong and cheaper competition to taxis in the heaviest routes, so it is quite possible there would be more taxis in other areas not served by baht buses. Aside from tourists, there are many people who live in Pattaya who don't have a vehicle who would find regular needs for taxis all over the area.

Edited by Jingthing