Transport Company told to move bus terminal, compete with low cost airlines

webfact

Transport Company told to move bus terminal, compete with low cost airlines

PNECO601211001000301_11122017_103645.jpg

BANGKOK, 11th December 2017 (NNT) – The Deputy Minister for Transport has handed new policy guidelines to the Transport Company, instructing it to step up the move from Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal and to prepare to compete with low cost airlines. 

Deputy Minister for Transport, Pairin Chuchotethaworn commented that he had ordered the Transport Company to adjust services and the location of Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal as the land the station currently stands on must be returned to State Railway of Thailand for use with the Red Line electric train extension. The company is also to improve the area’s existing BTS Skytrain station and Bang Sue MRT Station. 

While Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal is slated to be moved in six years, the deputy minister has asked that the timeframe be moved up in anticipation of growing demand. He added that the bus terminal should consider competing with low cost airlines to attract inter-regional travelers. 

President of the Transport Company Jeerasak Yaowachasakul meanwhile made known the organization has proposed a plan to increase revenue to its board. In 2018, it is to enhance its facilities and services, targeting over 4 billion baht in revenue and 120 million baht in profit.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-11

The Deputy Minister for Transport has handed new policy guidelines to the Transport Company, instructing it to step up the move from Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal and to prepare to compete with low cost airlines. 

That is a great plan to compete with low cost airlines.

The nearest bus terminal to me in rural Khampaeng Phet is 6km away and I can get a bus direct to BKK for about 279 thb one way.

The nearest airpot is at Nakhon Sawan 120km away and I need to take 2 buses just to get to the bus terminal and some other form of transport from there to the airport.

Alternatively I can fly from Phitsanulok 180km away by taking the baht bus from the big village to KPP and another bus to Pitlok and some other transport to the airport. The same goes for Mae Sot which is about 200km away.

Does the Deputy Minister for Transport have any idea of the small numbers of airports or where they are actually located in Thailand compared to the interprovincial bus services?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the bus terminal should consider competing with low cost airlines to attract inter-regional travelers. 

They should also consider competing with Apple because Apple makes huge profits.

Compete how? On speed?

I certainly hope not they will instruct the drivers to go 800km/h.

In the US some overnight buses compete with planes by offering flat beds and driving all night (they go slower on purpose so people get their rest). Maybe thats an idea for Thailand?

I hate traveling by bus because its dangerous, uncomfortable, and you end up 20km outside of the city center.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

The Deputy Minister for Transport has handed new policy guidelines to the Transport Company, instructing it to step up the move from Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal and to prepare to compete with low cost airlines. 

That is a great plan to compete with low cost airlines.

The nearest bus terminal to me in rural Khampaeng Phet is 6km away and I can get a bus direct to BKK for about 279 thb one way.

The nearest airpot is at Nakhon Sawan 120km away and I need to take 2 buses just to get to the bus terminal and some other form of transport from there to the airport.

Alternatively I can fly from Phitsanulok 180km away by taking the baht bus from the big village to KPP and another bus to Pitlok and some other transport to the airport. The same goes for Mae Sot which is about 200km away.

Does the Deputy Minister for Transport have any idea of the small numbers of airports or where they are actually located in Thailand compared to the interprovincial bus services?

Or if you can afford 1500baht (yes 1500):

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkbuildairstrip.html

They can't move until they have the new skytrain up and running or they need to lower the price of bus tickets for what you would have to pay for the extra 20-30 km by taxi.
Same now, when you have to take a taxi to or from BTS/MRT as it's not close by... sure there are buses but they have a tendency to take up to 40 minutes while a taxi takes less than 10 minutes.