Can Anybody Recommend ?

parryhandy

Hi i am buying a computer for my wife and children during my next holiday in Thailand (thursday).

The basic idea being, i can set up Skype and a webcam and keep in touch with them better whilst im working in the Uk.

Is there any Thai language websites that exist that teach or advise Thais on basic computer use and safe internet browsing? Or if not books that anyone can recommend ?

I only have 2 weeks holliday so will only be able to show them (my wifes 14 year old stepdaughter mainly) so much.

cheers

I would recommend PCAnywhere or Terminal Services (Remote Desktop Connection).

Then get a static IP or use dyn-dns on the PC in Thailand so you can reach it from the outside. That way you can do tech support from wherever you are. On the other hand, you might need some additional security so others can't hack into the terminal services.

If you don't want them to be able to screw it up, get a Mac or an Undo Card.

As for help websites... I don't think any exist, thai or otherwise. I have a computer illiterate mom who is using a PC and basically, websites don't work. You need an expert around that fixes problems for you.

There are quite a few Thai language books available in the larger Thai bookstores. The Se-Ed shop in Siam Center, opposite Siam Square, has a largish computer section. I would think they have what you are looking for