Thais Working In Korea Are Dying In Droves

webfact

Thais Working In Korea Are Dying In Droves

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

34956544290_50213a9aa9_k-696x464.jpg

Seoul in December 2016. Photo: Blankicks / Flickr

SEOUL  — Dozens of Thai nationals have frozen to death in Korea in this year, pointing to a worrying trend, the Thai Embassy in Seoul disclosed Tuesday night.

Harsh winters and lack of access to healthcare are to blame for the deaths of 66 undocumented Thai workers, a number that has more than doubled over four years ago as the ranks of Thai workers have swelled.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/12/13/thais-working-korea-dying-droves/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-13

As an expat who has been in warm/hot climates for the past 30 years arriving in Korea during the winter was a hell of a shock to me.

Cost me a small fortune in winter clobber and I never felt really warm outside anywhere.

Minus 10 and chill factor can be a fast killer. Without wind proof outside layers and good quality inner layers it doesn't take long to freeze to death.

My Thai wife spent some time in Denmark in winter and also several months with me in Hannover in the winter of 2000/01.

Yes, she was cold but she survived it quite well especially when she found out that at the train/tram station they served gluhwein and currywursts.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My Thai wife spent some time in Denmark in winter and also several months with me in Hannover in the winter of 2000/01.

Yes, she was cold but she survived it quite well especially when she found out that at the train/tram station they served gluhwein and currywursts.

??

My wife loves cold weather, really, I hate it, causes no end of arguements over holidays. She was muttering about us going back to Korea this Xmas so I had to use the situation

( NK and it's toys etc ) to get that delayed till April.

( Hannover currywurst best anywhere) ??

20 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Theres good and bad for cold weather,

Manhood shrinks so much would be one of them.

sharing body heat is a good one, and always leads to 

regrowth of man hood.

Insightful .

Cold weather makes your penis shrink , but when you get aroused, it gets bigger .

Invaluable information there, thanks for sharing

23 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

regrowth of man hood.

Sitting down to P becomes the norm' especially with those wonderful heated Korean toilet seats and warm water built in bum guns.

Don't suppose many of the Thai workers have those to use though.

Embassy warns Thais in freezing South Korea

By The Nation

3712d9ee9591074df1d5d1f0a9f7effb.jpeg

Foreign tourists visit Gyeongbok Palace in central Seoul, South Korea, 09 December 2017, in temperatures of minus 5 degrees Celsius. // EPA-EFE PHOTO

Thais staying in South Korea have receivd a warning from the Thai Embassy in Seoul to take care of their health with the temperature dropping to minus-10 degrees Celsius.

In the wake of a report that 66 Thais had died in South Korea this year, mainly from illnesses related to extreme cold – such as stroke, heart failure, pneumonia and sudden “nocturnal death syndrome” – the embassy posted on Facebook this week that people need to keep warm, eat nutritious food, avoid alcohol, get enough sleep and be mindful of their surroundings.

Rungrangsri Park, who works as a Korean-Thai interpreter, posted on Facebook last week that a 46-year-old Thai woman had on December 3 suffered a stroke induced by exposure to extreme cold, just over a week after she arrived in South Korea.

Paralysed and in critical condition, she is being treated in hospital, Rungransri said. Her medical bill to date is 25 million won (about Bt750,000).

The embassy said 29 Thais in South Korea died in 2012 and 72 in 2016.

It said Thais working illegally in South Korea were particularly at risk because they were not covered by state welfare and could be forced to work in difficult conditions.

Such workers must cover their own medical expenses, and treatment can be expensive, it said. Expenses their families incur should they die are unlikely to cover related expenses, it said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333837

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-13

BIL and his wife have been there 18 months.

Illegals working on a farm. All the surrounding farms have mostly Thai, some Viet, and some Khmer labour.

Live in a fitted out shipping container with all mod cons, Western kitchen, hot shower, aircon in the summer, heating in the winter.

Work in huge poly tunnels, again, heated in the winter.

They save in 2 months what they would earn in one year here.

Nearly all the over the counter medicines that people are used to buying here in Thailand are just not available in SK.

Medical centres/emergency centres in many large companies can be very good and very well stocked with well trained staff.

For anyone working upcountry on a farm I can't imagine what kind of medical facilities they have, if any. Cuts etc in very cold weather can go bad just as quickly as in very hot countries without any antiseptic or antibiotic trearment.

I doubt very much if any of the Thai workers could pay the premiums required for health insurance in SK.

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

BIL and his wife have been there 18 months.

Illegals working on a farm. All the surrounding farms have mostly Thai, some Viet, and some Khmer labour.

Live in a fitted out shipping container with all mod cons, Western kitchen, hot shower, aircon in the summer, heating in the winter.

Work in huge poly tunnels, again, heated in the winter.

They save in 2 months what they would earn in one year here.

True for many but unfortunately not for all.

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

regrowth of man hood.

But then you've got to beware frost-bite of the dangly-bits ! :shock1::unsure::laugh:

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

As an expat who has been in warm/hot climates for the past 30 years arriving in Korea during the winter was a hell of a shock to me.

Cost me a small fortune in winter clobber and I never felt really warm outside anywhere.

Minus 10 and chill factor can be a fast killer. Without wind proof outside layers and good quality inner layers it doesn't take long to freeze to death.

Try spending 4 months, 1700ft up a mountain in the Falklands, winds gusting up to 120mph, and a chill factor of -50; not exactly something that would appear on somebody's bucket list, I think.

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Try spending 4 months, 1700ft up a mountain in the Falklands, winds gusting up to 120mph, and a chill factor of -50; not exactly something that would appear on somebody's bucket list, I think.

Try winter months in the north of Canada, and not exactly through choice, but I'm fairly sure circumstances are similar.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

??

My wife loves cold weather, really, I hate it, causes no end of arguements over holidays. She was muttering about us going back to Korea this Xmas so I had to use the situation

( NK and it's toys etc ) to get that delayed till April.

( Hannover currywurst best anywhere) ??

You haven't tried my currywurst :smile:

16 hours ago, sanemax said:

Insightful .

Cold weather makes your penis shrink , but when you get aroused, it gets bigger .

Invaluable information there, thanks for sharing

In Canada, when it was -40 C, mine disappeared.

But I wasn't worried because I knew it was tucked away someplace with my Balls. 

19 hours ago, Moti24 said:

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.