British man injured in Thailand undergoes leg amputation following motorbike accident

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, digger70 said:

I have had very hard times,Never asked for any help ,not even family THAT'S How  you learn to take care of things and Grow up,Be responsible, Not like ohh got some trouble ,,,just Beg  that only makes it worse for smaller problems ,,,Just Beg /ask for help/Money that way one turns into No hopers That shit just don't work for me.I help people once , if they have a  Real problem BUT Never Money. :wai:

A regular St. Nick, a very Merry Christmas to you

Everyone keeps referring to the fine print on an insurance policy regarding motor bike riding.  That well may be the case but the insurance company I use has very big print about not being covered for riding motor bikes, snow skiing and parachuting etc. I cannot move forward to the next online page until I indicate I will NOT be undertaking those activities.

Should I wish to undertake any of those activities I can but at a higher premium.  Simple enough.

I actually rang and asked my insurance company if I was covered when I was a passenger on a motor bike taxi service.  The reply was if the driver was registered to operate as a mb taxi service and a licensed driver, and I wore a helmet then I was fully covered.  Maybe I just read the relevant stuff that gets these peoples insurance cover voided.

Edited by johnnycthedog

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Jeremy50 said:

As usual, an astonishing lack of sympathy for someone who has had a life changing operation. Accidents do happen.  I hope he raises the necessary funds through his crowd funding, he will need it, and the support of good people.   What a bunch of TV sociopaths. 

Yep. Zero sympathy and zero empathy from the majority of "I'm alright Jack" sad posters on this forum.

Hope the young lad makes a decent recovery and gets his life back.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, ferguston said:

His photo, presumably taken in Thailand, sums everything up about his motorbike riding capabilities.  

Why?

He may have been wearing a helmet before that photo was taken, he may have been wearing a helmet before the accident.

What do you expect him to wear? Knee, back and elbow armour? Full one piece leathers? Full face helmet and gloves?

Sheesh, some people need to get a life....

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

You say people should show respect, what for?

The clown has only himself to blame,not properly equipped/ insured, his own reckless stupidity.

Too late for me to pray that this never befalls me, as it already has, yes i was properly covered and equipped.

Calling him stupid, a clown, not properly equipped and insured isn't a nice way to talk about somebody who's just lost his leg. Priceless

12 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Calling him stupid, a clown, not properly equipped and insured isn't a nice way to talk about somebody who's just lost his leg. Priceless

Yes it is priceless, but coming from someone who has lost the use of 2 legs its tame.

The man was a clown getting on a bike without proper insurance cover and proper protection.

On 20/12/2017 at 12:53 PM, Ejjeje said:

Cmon man...

It's true or will you go diving or drive a truck if you never od before especialy in thailand?!

It's his own faul period

Unless i missed it, the cause of the accident was not mentioned. Riding to fast? Rear ended by a drunken Thai pickup driver? ..................

On 20/12/2017 at 1:46 PM, Lupatria said:

Everyone riding a bike (regardless the cc) in shorts and flip flops is an idiot.

Worried about sunburn?

Do you ride here, could you ride in full protective bike gear all day in the temperatures usually found here?

On 20/12/2017 at 2:19 PM, colinneil said:

Well i for 1 think you are talking nonsense, many kind hearted honest people on this forum.

I AM PARAPLEGIC DUE TO A MOTORBIKE ACCIDENT.

did i go whining, set up a go fund me page?

No i didnt, did not receive 1 baht from anybody.

Yet i did, and still do get help/support from a few very good people, some of them are members of this forum.

So until you know more about people on here,please be quiet.

Colin, may i ask you, when you had your accident what happened? Were you at fault? What protective gear were you wearing?

From your posts it seems you would follow the the rules of the road and also wear a helmet. 

On 20/12/2017 at 5:05 PM, oldlakey said:

In this case it was YOUR fault, and YOUR fault alone for taking your GF on YOUR bike

After ten years of riding in Thailand you should know whats likely to happen at ANY time

You sir are contemptible.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Yes it is priceless, but coming from someone who has lost the use of 2 legs its tame.

The man was a clown getting on a bike without proper insurance cover and proper protection.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I also had a big bike accident a couple of years ago where I'd almost lost my leg thru an infection that started when I wanted to get it properly done, the professional way at a hospital in Europe.

Unfortunately, was the whole station diseased with Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria and an older and very experienced nurse was the one who found out how bad my leg already was, even after daily visits of the doctors. 

Some other people were not so lucky, which might be the reason for my post. 

I had full protection, and insurance, but how do you protect your leg when 270 kg fall on it? Or if you hit anything with your leg?

Hope he had the appropriate insurance, licence etc other wise expect to see another go fund me page . Another young life ruined by the ease of bike rental to anybody who has the baht but no experience on some of the deadliest roads in the world

Nothing much to do with the ease of rental. Mostly to do with the 'flush' of holidaying and leaving any common sense you may have had at home.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Granted it was stupid, but is being cold and harsh the best reaction to someone being in that situation? You know how it feels, so you should be empathetic just as much as the next person, if not more. If you saw him in person, would you be cold and harsh to him also? 

1 minute ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Granted it was stupid, but is being cold and harsh the best reaction to someone being in that situation? You know how it feels, so you should be empathetic just as much as the next person, if not more. If you saw him in person, would you be cold and harsh to him also? 

Would i be as cold and harsh if i met him in person?

No i would be a damn sight harsher.

47 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As far as I know did he not cause any other damage to others, right? How can you be so hard on a guy who's lost his leg?

A good friend of mine went thru that when a female driver hit him when it was raining. Then on Reha and then his artificial leg and the first steps.  It was an accident. 

P.S. Same old, same old. Foreigners in LOS seem to be the biggest enemies of other foreigners. Sad, but true. 

Edited by jenny2017

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

How very charming.

Being in the situation you are I would assume the majority of people might expect you to be capable of greater empathy than most. Clearly not.

Interesting.

Well ..... !     as a final bit of advice on the story,  if ya gonna risk riding a bike or hang gliding or parasailing or elephant riding or tuk tuk riding or gold shopping or 7-11 shopping or driving a car or watch sellers or paying check bin or buying lottery tickets or diving or staying on Koh Tao or walking on the footpath or riding a bike or playing bridge .......

please check that your policy covers all of these activities ......   :shock1:

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

He has everything wrong, liability, slander and the hiding too, hiding from what i have no idea.

The case he was discussing, the car driver was responsible and liable, but somehow he changed all that, strange really.

Girlfriend on bike? Sounds more akin to the Phuket case. Bless. 

On 12/21/2017 at 4:02 PM, thaiguzzi said:

What do you expect him to wear? Knee, back and elbow armour? Full one piece leathers? Full face helmet and gloves?

Sheesh, some people need to get a life....

Yes, its called ATGATT and sensible responsible riders follow it.

All The Gear All The Time!!

15 hours ago, chrissables said:

He has everything wrong, liability, slander and the hiding too, hiding from what i have no idea.

The case he was discussing, the car driver was responsible and liable, but somehow he changed all that, strange really.

I dont have anything wrong go back and read  my post that you initially quoted

I blamed the rider for no insurance for the GF, or do you think it was not his fault

I made no comment on liability, what I commented on was the fact that after 10 years riding experience in Thailand he should have known what could happen on Thai roads

As I have already pointed out to you it was only a two line post and it was still way to much detail for you

You are like a few others on here snide remarks from behind your keyboard

16 hours ago, Seismic said:

Yes, its called ATGATT and sensible responsible riders follow it.

All The Gear All The Time!!

Well, lets just say i'm different to you then. Sensible/Responsible?

Well, I've ridden all my life since I could be legal on the road. That makes it 40 years on the road. Summer in the Alps on my Guzzi and Harley, t-shirt and jeans, no jacket, piss pot helmet. Euro tours down to Naples on the same bikes, same clothes. Etc etc etc.

Stopped wearing full face helmets when I was 18 and bought my Triumph.

I live here, and certainly would not wear "all the gear all the time". Flip flops on the Wave to the market. On the big bikes, just jeans and boots is fine.

Re the pic in the OP - he's on holiday in a tropical climate, bare minimum helmet and away you go, i'd do the same.

Certainly not wearing full face helmet, gloves, boots, armour, one piece  leathers to get on a step thru....

You take it easy out there - it's dangerous... oh and don't forget the dayglow vest...

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, colinneil said:

Over the years I've read your comments.  Mostly good, sensible, heartfelt and well intentioned.  However I find your absolute lack of sympathy for this young fellow whose lost his leg bewildering. Given your terrible situation of being paraplegic/quadriplegic I thought you'd have more than the usual amount of sympathy for him.  Regardless of no helmet (assumed) and lack of suitable attire (assumed), accidents happen in Thailand in huge numbers.  Sometimes the fault of the MB rider, many times the fault of another driver.

I hate to see any accident like this where the person's life has been irreversibly changed.  Some may never recover from the trauma involved.  His young life as he knows it has changed forever.  Don't be so bloody cruel to this young guy.  It's repeated by the hundreds in Thailand , foreigner and Thai.  Have a heart. 

@ thaiguzzi.  You may be the best motorbike rider in the whole of Isaan.  That leaves 100,000 or more thais who are not the best MB riders or MV drivers to deal with.  So far so good with you.   It just takes one idiot or one drunk thai out there to ruin your unblemished record and give you lifelong misery.

I am not sorry for such people...

50% or maybe more never used a scooter, they think it's a bicycle and just drive....

I used to have a scooter rental shop for 8 years on koh tao, and i saw accidents each day not that heavy but still...

I always warned my costumers about the risk and belive me 80% of them did a crash the same day or later..

And something offtopic.

What the hell is all this gofundme bullshit?!

If you take a such risk think about it before we are not the caritas to found them

@Just1Voice

Licence ? 555....

I never got asked me licence when i plan a short trip and need a bike
When you ran your shop did you ever ask to see a customer's license?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When you ran your shop did you ever ask to see a customer's license?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Of course he did LMAO! He is talking BS.. HE wouldnt have lasted 8 weeks let alone 8 years [emoji16][emoji16]

TV The BS capital of south east Asia! but hey at least his post is worth a good laugh