Thailand Post admits theft of mail containing THB150,000 bracelet by outsourced worker

webfact

I didn't receive mail for about two months. When we investigated we were told that the postman had been destroying the mail as he couldn't be bothered delivering it. Was he prosecuted? Nah. That would have hurt his feelings and he was due to retire anyway. One item I didn't receive was an important letter from my UK bank which resulted in all kinds of problems.

And I really can't understand why, now our post has been restored, it takes 7-10 days to receive bills sent from Bangkok to Kalasin. It could get to us quicker if sent by pedal bike. Instead, the bills arrive after the pay by date, all the time.

I shouldn't be surprised though. I tried to send an item from the Nana PO in Bangkok to Kalasin, and the girl at the desk demanded to know what country Kalasin was in.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How is registering an item anymore inconvenient than normal post?

If you read my post properly then you would realise that I was comparing registered post to online banking. At no time did I say that registered post is more inconvenient than normal post. Online banking is far more convenient than sending stuff through the postal system. However banks will not accept some transactions online because they obviously believe that registered post is more secure than online. Does that clarify my point.

Den 

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Declare the value.

Flag it for #1 five finger discount shopping.

In Oz, the post office staff have to physically sight the product that you send before the insurance cover is accepted.

Could have been an empty box for all everyone else knows.

But a nice target anyway.

* I know Pattaya has a different post code for the post office and for actual deliveries. 

If you put the wrong one...

Response is..

Sorry cannot deliver. 

NOT know where go.... sorry.

Hmm thats where my vintage mixer went, a postcode scam. What slimey underhanded weasels..

I use the Thai post A LOT (in and out of TH) and can only say good things about them. Once I wrote the wrong address on a parcel, they tracked it down before it left the country and sent it back to me. Would have been a big cockup for me. My home country post is not half as efficient as the Thai one, and it's in Europe.

On 12/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, PremiumLane said:

never had any issues with EMS here, they use the tracking numbers. Always been delivered on time and you can track it online. 

Really? I  have  had  to pursue expected items  sent   by tracked mail  that according  to  legend  were  "successfully "  delivered !

Even  the  sender  was  dismayed  at the  failure  of  Thai Postal Services  to  adhere  to  international  agreement ! The  base  system may be  ok  but  the "contracted" individual  postal delivery  operators  are a law  unto themselves !  And it  seems  a  service   unto themselves !

20 hours ago, topt said:

Agreed. have had 2 identical sets of papers going to the same IOM address lost in the last 4 months - due however to Royal Mail in the UK. One posted in the UK sent signed for and no idea where it is and one from here in Thailand sent registered and apparently ended up at Chelmsford sorting office after leaving Heathrow to go the IOM..............still there since the end of August.......... 

Seems things are just as bad in Aus sent two separate items registered earlier this year never arrived tracked them leaving Thailand

Aus Post said couldn’t find them and couldn’t track registered post arriving from overseas 

Sounds like an incompetent system or BS

Never had a problem with EMS here excellent service couple of years ago posted an item on Saturday here in the North and it was delivered the following morning on Sunday

That is good service

Will Thailand ever understand how implementing penalties for mis-behavior stems continuation in un-social actions?  Implementation is significant to rule of law in every way e.g. road carnage, postal thievery. But enforcement requires effort... so..... not much (overstatement) will change.

13 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

Will Thailand ever understand how implementing penalties for mis-behavior stems continuation in un-social actions?  Implementation is significant to rule of law in every way e.g. road carnage, postal thievery. But enforcement requires effort... so..... not much (overstatement) will change.

13 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

The jails here seem to be overcrowded so they must be locking them up for something.

To be fair I don’t think the problem is only in Thailand, in Australia people caught commmiting crimes often seem to get a slap on the wrist without any detention or even a fine and certainly in Sydney I don’t think the police even investigate home burglaries and anti social behavior in public has become acceptable

From some of the UK TV programsI have watched the problem seems to be the same with benefit fraud running into millions of pounds.

20 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Why, do you think, services like Kerry Logistics and Kerry Express are so successful? I've been sending all non-letter stuff with them; overnight, arriving in perfect shape and at attractive rates. 

Thanks. Are Kerry only located in BKK however?

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I didn't receive mail for about two months. When we investigated we were told that the postman had been destroying the mail as he couldn't be bothered delivering it. Was he prosecuted? Nah. That would have hurt his feelings and he was due to retire anyway. One item I didn't receive was an important letter from my UK bank which resulted in all kinds of problems.

And I really can't understand why, now our post has been restored, it takes 7-10 days to receive bills sent from Bangkok to Kalasin. It could get to us quicker if sent by pedal bike. Instead, the bills arrive after the pay by date, all the time.

I shouldn't be surprised though. I tried to send an item from the Nana PO in Bangkok to Kalasin, and the girl at the desk demanded to know what country Kalasin was in.

We had similar experiences. Our mail delivery man kept the mail at his house - for a limited time apparently. If you wanted it you could go get it.... maybe. This caused me and others a great deal of challenges. Finally my wife and a few other local people went to the "head boss" in Kaengkhro and complained.... must have been a shock... and guess what? The local delivery man was replaced. Seems like his wife and himself had a local eatery business which required much of his time/energy sooooooooooooo "to hell" w/ people's mail. I was really surprise this action was done by the boss. Kudos to him.... shame no one complained for the past 15 years.

A young guy took over and he delivers the mail. WOW... 

17 hours ago, denby45 said:

If you read my post properly then you would realise that I was comparing registered post to online banking. At no time did I say that registered post is more inconvenient than normal post. Online banking is far more convenient than sending stuff through the postal system. However banks will not accept some transactions online because they obviously believe that registered post is more secure than online. Does that clarify my point.

Den 

No, it doesn't clarify anything.  You said that sending through registered post was "neither convenient or secure". If it's not convenient logic says that it must be inconvenient.

Please explain how you can compare registered post with online banking and how a diamond bracelet could be sent to someone using online banking.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it doesn't clarify anything.  You said that sending through registered post was "neither convenient or secure". If it's not convenient logic says that it must be inconvenient.

Please explain how you can compare registered post with online banking and how a diamond bracelet could be sent to someone using online banking.

I think everyone got the point I was trying to put across except you. It Seems from most of your past posts you have a habit of picking through peoples posts trying to trip them up. Then getting into heated discussions on small issues. Is this a hobby of yours. I am afraid this time you picked the wrong person as I recognize your type and therefore have no further comment on the subject. Subject closed.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Den

2 hours ago, denby45 said:

I think everyone got the point I was trying to put across except you. It Seems from most of your past posts you have a habit of picking through peoples posts trying to trip them up. Then getting into heated discussions on small issues. 

Maybe "everyone else" was able to make sense of something that made no sense at all but what I think that you maybe got the point about was that you were wrong and if anyone else can see the correlation between using the post and online banking for the same exercise I'd love to hear about it.  

I'd also like you to point out just one "heated discussion" I've had; I'm sure you'll be able to do so having so carefully analysed my posts.

9 hours ago, selftaopath said:

We had similar experiences. Our mail delivery man kept the mail at his house - for a limited time apparently. If you wanted it you could go get it.... maybe. This caused me and others a great deal of challenges. Finally my wife and a few other local people went to the "head boss" in Kaengkhro and complained.... must have been a shock... and guess what? The local delivery man was replaced. Seems like his wife and himself had a local eatery business which required much of his time/energy sooooooooooooo "to hell" w/ people's mail. I was really surprise this action was done by the boss. Kudos to him.... shame no one complained for the past 15 years.

A young guy took over and he delivers the mail. WOW... 

It  is  rare people  are willing  to  complain but  it  should  and  needs  to  happen  more  often in many  areas  of  Thai infrastructure  and  the  negligent  abuses. A  similar  situation  exists  in  my locality  with many criticisms but fear  of  complaint. 

In  the  issue  of  postal service  the  local  agent  has  adopted  an  attitude  of  expecting  people  to  come  and  ask if  they  have  mail etc !

Ridiculous if  recipients  are unaware of  mail or  parcels  sent in  surprise or  otherwise unaware !  And that leads  to  a  suspicion  that  the  contents  of  unclaimed  items  is  eventually  of  benefit to the  agent if  of  any   material   value..

Recently  in my  case  a pharmacy  item was  declared  delivered by  the  tracked   mail  system. That  informtion  as  provided  by the  sender   Company. When I  refuted   delivery  success that  off shore  Company   made  enquiries  of  the last  actual  Thai  Postal   Service. Within  hours  the  local   agent actually  made   final  delivery  two  days  after  declared  delivery  success.

Unfortunately   it  has  lead  to  background  mutterings  of   displeasure from  that  local agent.

My  wife does  possess an  attitude  of  integrity  in  most  things. So as  a  result  is  determined  to  make  an official  complaint based  on  both   the principles of justification and  defence  of  the  same. 

On 23/12/2017 at 12:17 PM, dallen52 said:

Declare the value.

Flag it for #1 five finger discount shopping.

In Oz, the post office staff have to physically sight the product that you send before the insurance cover is accepted.

Could have been an empty box for all everyone else knows.

But a nice target anyway.

* I know Pattaya has a different post code for the post office and for actual deliveries. 

If you put the wrong one...

Response is..

Sorry cannot deliver. 

NOT know where go.... sorry.

20150 is deliveries 

20260 is the post .

I learned the experience and expense too. 

Tried to send a birthday card to my then thai gf.

*another foolish mistake.

Putting card ONLY on the envelopes. 

Ka ching Ka ching.

Especially at Christmas. 

Australia Post says 95% delivery guarantee. 

Thats a lot if mail that goes astray.

There is an article in here going back a few years. 

Same topic. 

Same excuses..

15 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Kerry delivers to us in Issan for Lazada purchase.

Ah yes. Wonder if they will send items from homes to other locations however however?  I've gotten quite fond of Lazada. Use them frequently and highly recommend them. Hope I'm not becoming addicted to "online shopping." But being 75K from Khonkaen restricts shopping and then many shops - I know of - are not stocked adequately (for my shopping pleasure). 

On 12/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, Sydebolle said:

Well, they are certainly well present in Pattaya and Nongkhai - as far as I know from own experience. See their website or google for details. 

We have them up here in the North Chiang Mai province very efficient