Apple Powerbook In Thailand

londontobkk

I am moving to Bangkok with work, and am looking into buying a Mac Book. The entry level model in the UK is £750 (Bht.52,500), which gets you -

-1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

-512MB memory

-60GB hard drive1

-Combo drive

Are macbooks readily available in Bangkok, and does any one know the cost? Am unsure whether to buy here or wait till i arrive.

Cheers

Edited by londontobkk

I am moving to Bangkok with work, and am looking into buying a Mac Book. The entry level model in the UK is £750 (Bht.52,500), which gets you -

-512MB memory

-60GB hard drive1

-Combo drive

Are macbooks readily available in Bangkok, and does any one know the cost? Am unsure whether to buy here or wait till i arrive.

Cheers

yes they have them in Thailand. They are cheaper in BKK than here in Chiang Mai but if you check out this website you can download their price sheet and make some comparisons.

www.applechiangmai.com

The funny thing about buying Apple computers in Thailand is they're brought up from Singapore. So all the models sold in Thailand have that horribly bulky three pronged monstrosity of a plug used in Singapore and Indonesia. And they necessitate using a socket adapter in Thailand.

I'm not sure how the prongs in the UK compare, but I much prefer using the US prong and having the 220 volt rounded prong adaptor from the Intl. travel kit sold by Apple handy.

A dear friend of mine recently bought a MacBook in Bangkok. She's very happy with it, but I notice the 512 of RAM is simply not sufficient. I can't tolerate that lull every time the machine is maxing out its capacity. Trust me: you will want at least a full GB.

Base model Macbook is 47,900THB.

Top Spec BlackBook is 62,*** something at the moment. It just came down from around 64,000.

As mentioned above, you need to budget in for a pretty big RAM increase.

If you are moving with work, shouldnt they be buying you a laptop? If that is the case, then the Macbook isnt Apple's 'business' range. They are more aimed at students. You should really be looking at a MacBook Pro if work is paying.

-512MB memory

-60GB hard drive1

-Combo drive

Cheers

online price is 45,900 so you can print out the website and negotiate to that price in any mac shop in BKK

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=2&brand=268

The funny thing about buying Apple computers in Thailand is they're brought up from Singapore. So all the models sold in Thailand have that horribly bulky three pronged monstrosity of a plug used in Singapore and Indonesia. And they necessitate using a socket adapter in Thailand.

I'm not sure how the prongs in the UK compare, ...

Singapore got these from the British! They are very safe because they include a fuse. They also weigh a pound which isn't so good for laptops...

When I bought my Powerbook in Singapore, I just had a guy at the local shop snip off the end of the cable and attach a simple, flimsy U.S.-style plug. But if you are from the UK you might want to keep the monstrosity...

When I bought my Powerbook in Singapore, I just had a guy at the local shop snip off the end of the cable and attach a simple, flimsy U.S.-style plug.

What!?! Snipped off the cable end? Such amatuers... Forget about it! Dear me that's uncalled for, and most unwise.

Look here: AC Plug Adaptor Heads are interchangeable. Let's review the design of the Power Adaptor: Power Adaptor naked as compared to a view with the bulky Three Pronged Plug attached. Why it's the epitome of simplicity. Jet-to-another-country, swap plugs, power-up, begin computing....

No matter where you purchase the computer, for those travelling, what is called for is the International Plug Adaptor Set.

Edited by Khleerm

I'm not sure how the prongs in the UK compare, ...

Singapore got these from the British! They are very safe because they include a fuse. They also weigh a pound which isn't so good for laptops...

When I bought my Powerbook in Singapore, I just had a guy at the local shop snip off the end of the cable and attach a simple, flimsy U.S.-style plug. But if you are from the UK you might want to keep the monstrosity...

Strange. I've bought two Apples in Thailand (an iMac and a Powerbook) and neither had the UK/Singapore type power plug.

Strange. I've bought two Apples in Thailand (an iMac and a Powerbook) and neither had the UK/Singapore type power plug.

For the record, the iBook I bought here had a EU style two prong plug (two round prongs of normal size).

I got the three prong UK version in Singapore (Powerbook).

Edited by nikster

When I bought my Powerbook in Singapore, I just had a guy at the local shop snip off the end of the cable and attach a simple, flimsy U.S.-style plug.

What!?! Snipped off the cable end? Such amatuers... Forget about it! Dear me that's uncalled for, and most unwise.

Nice. But first off, as any road-warrior knows one needs the AC plug with the attached cable for maximum reach.

So I would have had to purchase the Adapter snap-on with the cable from somewhere. Difficult in the mountains of northern Thailand. In the Chiang Mai Apple Center it would probably cost 1000 Baht - they love to rip off their customers. But I digress.

Going to the local electric shop and have the guy snip off the end and replace it with a normal 2 prong US plug was the more practical and immediate solution. It cost me 20 baht and labor was free :o

They sell 2 prong plug power cable (without A/C adopter) at apple stores in Thailand. I bought one for 600 - 700 Baht range many years ago for my PowerBook G4. The same cable works for the A/C adopter for MacBook pro too.

Going to the local electric shop and have the guy snip off the end and replace it with a normal 2 prong US plug was the more practical and immediate solution. It cost me 20 baht and labor was free :D

Indeed. Given that context, sounds like it was the right choice. :o

I happened to see an Apple section in a duty free shop at Suvarnabhumi and the prices really were quite good. The latest model 15.2" core duo Macbook Pro was selling for 68,000 baht, as compared to the standard price in town of 79,500 baht. That is perhaps the lowest price I have seen on a Macbook Pro in Asia, including Singapore.

By the way, the Macbook Pro that I bought at Panthip has an adapter with the standard US-style plug, not the UK style. This is definitely a Thai unit since it has a Thai keyboard.

I happened to see an Apple section in a duty free shop at Suvarnabhumi and the prices really were quite good. The latest model 15.2" core duo Macbook Pro was selling for 68,000 baht, as compared to the standard price in town of 79,500 baht. That is perhaps the lowest price I have seen on a Macbook Pro in Asia, including Singapore.

I've bought MBP for 55,000 Baht in Tokyo last November. 15.2", but older 1.83Ghz model. The price further went down to around 53,000 Baht at the same shop a few weeks after I bought it.

Not bad at all. At today's exchange rate of 36 baht/US$1, that's only US$1527, and by far the cheapest I have personally ever heard of for a Macbook Pro anywhere. Even in the USA where they are presumably cheap, they start at US$1999 at the online Apple Store.

I've bought MBP for 55,000 Baht in Tokyo last November. 15.2", but older 1.83Ghz model. The price further went down to around 53,000 Baht at the same shop a few weeks after I bought it.

That was duty free price BTW (less 5% Japanese VAT).

The original price was 179,900 yen.

They still have the stock of the same 1.83Mhz, 15.4" MBP in Japan (but at another outlet).

And the cheapst price I can find of the same MBP is 159,999 yen. At today's exchange rate of 29.965 Baht/ 100 yen (or 3.337 yen to 1Baht) it is roughly 48,000 Baht (47,917 Baht to be exact), without duty free (very limited shops offer duty-free in Japan). It comes with the Japanese (JIS) keyboard though.

FYI, the base MacPro costs HK$8,600 which is US$1,102 = baht 39,700.

Base model = intel core 2 duo, 1.83ghz, 512 mb, 60 gb hd, combo drive, 2 yr warranty. HK$1,860 for extra 3rd year world wide warranty.

Plus, most of the Apple dealers will load extra software for you: Adobe photoshop, windows office, dreamweaver.

FYI, the base MacPro costs HK$8,600 which is US$1,102 = baht 39,700.

Base model = intel core 2 duo, 1.83ghz, 512 mb, 60 gb hd, combo drive, 2 yr warranty. HK$1,860 for extra 3rd year world wide warranty.

I think you've got that confused with MacBook. 60GB HDD and combo drive were never available for MacBook Pro (only super drive for MBP), not even by BTO through online apple store.

Edited by Nordlys

Nordlys is correct. I meant MacBook, not MacBook Pro. That's why I showed the specs in the line below. An even better deal is the iMac, 17 in monitor, intel core 2 duo, 1.83ghz, 512 mb, 160 gb hd, combo drive, is only US$1,000 and add'l 512 mb RAM is US$70 more. I just got this iMac -- beautiful machine, nice looking keyboard and still portable enough so that you can bring it to the shop for service if you need to get it serviced.

By the way, the Macbook Pro that I bought at Panthip has an adapter with the standard US-style plug, not the UK style. This is definitely a Thai unit since it has a Thai keyboard.

How is that? No MacBook Pro's come with a Thai keyboard installed directly from Apple. I'd assumed it would be impossible for Apple to recoup that investment on the illuminated keyboard of the MacBook Pro. You either have a third party install of your confusing the Pro with non-Pro models...

I just bought a Macbook Pro for 79,500 baht and you think I am confusing it with the entry level Macbook? You must be joking. Actually, I have now purchased two Apple laptops in Thailand over the years, and both came with a dual Roman/Thai keyboard. And yes, this keyboard most certainly did come with one installed. Since this is as you note a Macbook with an illuminated keyboard, I suppose it was not as easy as simply screenprinting the Thai characters on the keys. This was bought new, sealed, and from an authorized Apple dealer and the keyboard is not some sort of "third party add-on".

But wait...I am sitting here typing on one and I am fairly certain it's a Macbook Pro. Why don't you go down to an authorised Apple dealer and see for yourself if you want to know "how is that?"?

How is that? No MacBook Pro's come with a Thai keyboard installed directly from Apple. I'd assumed it would be impossible for Apple to recoup that investment on the illuminated keyboard of the MacBook Pro. You either have a third party install of your confusing the Pro with non-Pro models...

I don't know about Thai version of MacBook Pro, but I'm pretty sure my MBP with Japanese keyboard (JIS) came directly from Apple. Not only it came with Japanese/roman letters printed on illuminated keyboard, but key alignments are different from U.S./Thai version ASCII keyboard.

I just bought a Macbook Pro for 79,500 baht and you think I am confusing it with the entry level Macbook?

Bubba, is that price for 2Ghz model or 2.16Ghz?

Why don't you go down to an authorised Apple dealer and see for yourself if you want to know "how is that?"?

In this day and age, what you pay for and what you get often times don't equate.

And since I did go to an Apple Store, Siam Paragon no less, not three weeks ago even, and did peruse the inventory quite thoroughly why don't you post a picture of your pride and joy.

I'll be delighted to apologize, if need be...

you dont happen to know how much the MBP C2D 17" goes for dutyfree? where in suvarnabhumi do they sell apple computers?

Sorry, I didn't notice the prive on the 17", but it would have to be a very competitive prive considering the price of the 15.2". Location: as you enter the "shopping mall" having just passed through immigration, turn right. The shop is an electronics shop on the right hand side, perhaps a 100m walk.

By the way, they also had a nice range of Apple accessories and also iPods.