Police appeal for public help to lower holiday road toll

webfact

8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Laws, rules and regulations for our own good. Were you ever consulted? I wasn't. Who decides what our own good means?

And then YOU pay for those decisions by punitive taxes whether you like it or not.

Give me Thailand any day of the week.

Wot are you serious

The ballot box thats when you were consulted for EVERYTHING

Do you really expect to be asked again before every law or amendment is passed

Yes I know what politicians are, but thats your luck

As for whats good for us, I know 25,000 - 30,000 slaughtered on an annual basis is not exactly good

Taxes whatever type they are 55555555 are collected so everything can be paid for

Time to grow up and man up, or ship out as you have done

I personally LOVE the NANNY state and dearly miss it, because it tries to protect the MUPPETS from themselves

Each to their own, so I just know we are not going to fall out over this difference of opinion

Let me be the first to wish you a Happy New Year

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Artisi said:

Seems to me that the request is arse-up, shouldn't it read, "The public have appealed to the police to lower the road toll"? 

Go wash you mouth out son You are asking the cops to lower the rate by actually doing their jobs I am sure most of the cops here think it is  a bit joke being in the police force Half prob dont even know what a police man is supposed  to do  I will try and help them a bit on that one  A policemans job is to enforce and up hold the law Pretty simple i think

17 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Oh dear....try driving in Bangkok matey. 

If you want to sit and give way for 16 hours...well whatever floats your boat - just make sure you are well prepared (possibly armed) for the consequences arising from the anger of the drivers behind you.

Breaking the law, collision, defensive role....blah blah,blah.......save that for Oz. Nobody is 'forcing' anything.

Understand and use  the local 'rules' , not necessarily the law. Drive as the locals do and you won't have too many problems, at least that has been my experience. I let people in in the same circumstances.

Me too, a little courtesy goes a long way and what's big deal allowing someone into the traffic flow, does it make you 10 minutes late to your destination. 

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:41 AM, simoh1490 said:

So a police state, a military junta, cannot impose its will, interesting concept that!

you can word it whatever way you like but laws are there to protect us and the police are there to enforce the laws, yes there is a fine line between protection - rights and control, in the west we generally get it right - sometimes rights are infringed when there area exceptional circumstances and provided we are understand the reasons we generally accept that.

But lets imagine for a moment that (as an example) the UK announced that enforcement of all traffic laws would stop from tomorrow, what do you think would happen

I have a fairly good idea, granted it would never be as bad as Thailand simply because of the infrastructure and some people may behave responsibly and still drive to the restrictions imposed by the sensible laws that once were in force - but an awful lot of people wouldn't resulting in a dramatic increase in accidents and road fatalities, it would be chaotic to say the least, does that sound familiar ? 

Here's a start to lower accidents and deaths on the road. Have only one New Year in the year. We celebrate NY in January. So do the Thais. They also celebrate NY in April. Luckily the Chinese NY doesn't see the massive movement of population as seen in January and April.

Banning people riding in the back of pickups will never happen. What are the police going to do ? Set up masses of road-blocks and eject all passengers where there are no seatbelts ? What are they going to do with all those passengers ? Lay on alternative transport ? Ha ! What a joke ! The cops will be lynched and we know just how brave they are.  

4 hours ago, finnomick said:

Here's a start to lower accidents and deaths on the road. Have only one New Year in the year. We celebrate NY in January. So do the Thais. They also celebrate NY in April. Luckily the Chinese NY doesn't see the massive movement of population as seen in January and April.

Banning people riding in the back of pickups will never happen. What are the police going to do ? Set up masses of road-blocks and eject all passengers where there are no seatbelts ? What are they going to do with all those passengers ? Lay on alternative transport ? Ha ! What a joke ! The cops will be lynched and we know just how brave they are.  

you are right for most of your post................it's called 

Law Enforcement

cha............ching

but in Thailand................if there is no monetary gain then forget it

Edited by smedly

11 hours ago, smedly said:

you can word it whatever way you like but laws are there to protect us and the police are there to enforce the laws, yes there is a fine line between protection - rights and control, in the west we generally get it right - sometimes rights are infringed when there area exceptional circumstances and provided we are understand the reasons we generally accept that.

But lets imagine for a moment that (as an example) the UK announced that enforcement of all traffic laws would stop from tomorrow, what do you think would happen

I have a fairly good idea, granted it would never be as bad as Thailand simply because of the infrastructure and some people may behave responsibly and still drive to the restrictions imposed by the sensible laws that once were in force - but an awful lot of people wouldn't resulting in a dramatic increase in accidents and road fatalities, it would be chaotic to say the least, does that sound familiar ? 

I cannot begin to understand or even imagine why you've written all that, just because I used the words police state in my post, nor what point you're trying to make or why!

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I cannot begin to understand or even imagine why you've written all that, just because I used the words police state in my post, nor what point you're trying to make or why!

so you couldn't grasp the concept of laws and law enforcement..........doesn't actually surprise me 

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Your use of the term Police State is simply out of context / place in this thread

It sticks out like a sore thumb

Just stick with Nanny State you cant go wrong then, its the accepted term and for some a way of letting off steam as regards their own and sometimes other countries that have gone down that road

The Nanny State does try to keep its population on the right road 5555555 by the use of safety campaigns, its not all draconian enforcement you know

I know some of our members dont have anything good to say about those either

Seeking help from the people who are doing themselves no good at all is a start I suppose, unless of course its just another public relations stunt 

Only time will tell

I can only imagine that the pair of you must be very bored and desperately need something to do. Here, let me post my original post for a second time, perhaps you'll find other words to write reams about:

Appealing for public cooperation is a viable  alternative to imposing the will of a nanny or a police state.

There are two ends to the scale: countries such as the UK where the tendency to be nanny state is strong and Thailand, where the tendency is non-existent and even a slight move towards proactive law enforcement would take a lot of time and training to implement - case in point, the helmet law which has improved matters considerably but has taken over ten years to reach this point and still has further to go, it's the way Thai's do these things.

So for the police to suddenly perform their role in the same way it's performed in the West, would be a massive culture shift that nobody is really prepared for. In the first instance, the police are not sufficiently well trained or knowledgeable enough to enforce the law, in the second instance the culture here is not ready to accept such a shift from a police force who are seen to be mostly corrupt and inefficient, that's what I mean when I refer to a nanny state in the context of Thailand.

If those things are not true, why do the police not simply go out and start enforcing the law at all levels, everywhere....they don't because they can't plus the people wouldn't allow such a large scale shift in policing, at one time in short timescales.

Edited by simoh1490

Ah.......I spotted the issue that I think has been causing you both so much angst but was unable to edit the above. In my first post in this thread, I hastily/probably should not have omitted the word "a" in front of the "police state" (now included in the above after I proof read it), presumably you took that to mean that I intended for a police state to mean the same thing as a nanny state.......I didn't, it was simply an omitted "a". I would have thought that almost everyone would have understood the difference between the two terms and what was intended, I now understand what you been rabbitting on about and why. I did after all in a subsequent post describe them as being at opposite ends of the spectrum so there was a clue there!!!

Of course, the authorities want the public to help - the RTP cannot do it! The RTP have difficulty in understanding enforcement and what that entails :sad:

The paramount "help" would be for drivers and riders to use the roads safely and drive/ride defensively and WITHOUT alcohol/drugs or tiredness impairing them.  That alone would go along way to lowering road trauma. :thumbsup:

Remember, speed does not kill but it sure increases the severity of a crash. DRIVE/RIDE ACCORDING TO THE CONDITIONS!

And may you be blessed to see in and enjoy the 'farang' New Year.