Canon EOS 450D repairs

I live pretty much in the sticks, so no chance of finding camera repairers where I am. I will however be visiting Bangkok on the 30th December (just an overnight stop) and desperately need a repairer for my camera (can return by post when fixed), the auto focus has packed up. I have read mixed reports about the Canon center in MBK which is a bit of a trek from Bang Na (my condo). Can anyone advise me about the availability of repairers either in the Bang Na area, or, more probably, Fortune Town. My Thai friends assure me Fortune Town is where I am most likely to find what I need at a competitive price, but I would prefer confirmation and/or advice from you guys.  

Thanking you all in advance.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Planemad

Not sure of your level of photographic skills and what I am going to say you may well know. So apologies if I am wasting your time.

In my experience with Canon cameras and lens sometimes the lens auto-focus fails(motor often problem sticking) but never heard of camera failure.

You should:

Check camera with another lens attached if able.

Check terminals in camera body and in lens and clean with a dry lint free cloth-sometimes it's just a communications failure

Try switching auto-focus on camera to back-button focus or back to shutter release button if already on back button. Assume 450D has this facility.

can't help with repairer unless it's a Sigma lens problem then I can help

Merry Christmas

Thank you for your advice. I have tried all three of your options however, when I first discovered the problem, I did try a second canon lens which also failed to work. I have now tried again with another lens, and guess what, the auto focus works, therefore, it is the lens at fault and not the camera. So, to amend my topic title, where can I take a Canon lens for repair?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my OP.

Planemad

Glad you have at least confirmed what I suspected i.e lens problem. Just a final thought, again sure you know, but have you double checked the faulty lens is not switched to manual focus(switch on lens housing)it is easy to move this on some lens, even partially moved it might stop AF.

Which lens is at fault? I am assuming they are compatible with that model of camera.

Sorry I can't help with Canon lens fixer

Thanks again for your input, yes I did check the AF switch, though thinking about it, I might not have checked the first replacement lens I tried when I discovered the fault.

The fault is with the original lens, it is the 18 - 55 mm one which I might have to consider replacing if I cannot get a repair.

Clearly, you are far deeper into the hobby than I am, so if I have to replace the lens, what do you think would be a cost effective alternative.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi, glad we have that sorted. It's always difficult to give advice via computer and forum. Hands on with camera is much easier. I am not an expert just a hobby bird photographer of a few years. I use Canon gear.

The 18-55mm is a kit lens and there is a new version with better auto focus(STM), just had a look on Lazada they are about 6000Baht  Repair would be uneconomical in my humble opinion.

Depending what you do with your gear, type of pics, really governs what you need lens wise.........you can spend a lot of money!

The canon kit lens 18-55 and 55-250 do a job and I was happy with them till I got into bird photography.

Seems like we have similar set-ups, I to have a 55-250 lens, which I will have to use in the interim if I cannot get economical repair at the weekend.

So, you like bird photography......I like keeping them. Over the years I have had many, but right no I just have a pair of Sun Conures and a cockatoo. They are pretty free to move around in the house although I do need to keep an eye on them, the cockatoo seems to like ripping the keys out of my keyboard.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice, I appreciate your time.

Planemad

My wife had the same problem with her 18~55 kit lens. Took it to Canon Thailand's main office. A couple days, and 710 baht later, it was good as new.

Their main office is at Chong Nonsi, easily reached by BTS: https://goo.gl/maps/BFZTrHKsVxE2

BTW, Chong Nonsi headquarters is where the MBK satellite will send their items for repair, adding an addition couple of days to the turnaround. 

Many thanks for that info Curt, that is rather reassuring as I was gearing up to buy a new lens.

I will not be able to visit the Chong Nonsi HQ as they (say) they are only open Mondays to Fridays and I will only be there Sat and Sun so maybe  a trip to MBK is in order.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you.

Planemad.

I hope you are in BKK on consecutive weekends. Between repairs, and shipping back and forth, it will probably take a week. It also depends on their scheduled runs.

That 710 baht was last March. Hopefully, your fix will cost the same or close to it. Most of their repairs are fixed pricing.

• 4 weeks later...

Final update to this thread: A friend brought the lens to Canon HQ at Chong Nonsi about 2 weeks ago, he was told repair would take between 2 and 4 weeks with an estimated cost of 1200 Baht. 

The repair centre called last Thursday to confirm the repair was complete and the lens could be collected, which my friend did last Friday. The lens came back with the defective part which looked like a small electronic ribbon with a micro chip in it, receipt quoted 55 Baht for replacement component and 1125 Baht for labour costs.

Still much cheaper than replacing the lens, so thanks again to those who took the time to respond with their thoughts and recommendations.

Planemad

Archived