Warning out against substandard gas-powered water heaters

webfact

Warning out against substandard gas-powered water heaters

By Thai PBS

9CBF4AF4-CF31-46A4-A518-5F696EBD6DF2.jpe

The Health Department has issued a warning against use of substandard gas-powered water heaters, saying that five people in Chiang Mai reportedly went unconscious in bathrooms without a proper ventilation system in December.

Dr Danai Theewanda, the department director-general, said people using gas-powered water heaters should make sure they meet the standards set by the Thai Industrial Standards Institute.

Every time they take a shower, they should turn on the ventilating fan. In case the bathroom is not fitted with a ventilator, they should leave the door open.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/warning-substandard-gas-powered-water-heaters/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-28

44 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Gas does have an advantage which is to remain operationnal during power cuts....but still, why not avoid having these hazardous gas cylinders around and not switch to electricity when possible ??....is there a reason ?

Yes, engineer Sonchai who did the cabling of the house. 

Furthermore, if you are considering the unstable power supply of the rural areas then you've only one option to get real hot water and that's with gas.

16 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

Yes, engineer Sonchai who did the cabling of the house. 

Furthermore, if you are considering the unstable power supply of the rural areas then you've only one option to get real hot water and that's with gas.

Or install a solar water heater as you see in so many places.

Big drum and a few pipes all you see and provide very hot water.

Edited by Autonuaq

On 28.12.2017 at 5:07 PM, observer90210 said:

...but still, why not avoid having these hazardous gas cylinders around and not switch to electricity when possible ??....is there a reason ?

Yes!!! The gas cylinders are not hazardous!!! I come more as 25 years to Thailand and never listen about one what exploded. Another reason is that gas is much more cheaper as electricity. 

On 28/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, observer90210 said:

Gas does have an advantage which is to remain operationnal during power cuts....but still, why not avoid having these hazardous gas cylinders around and not switch to electricity when possible ??....is there a reason ?

I rent a very nice hi end condo in bkk  and the safety standards is absolutely dreadful 

The building was completed in 1992 or somewhere around that era so I think the electrics cannot cope with the demand of all the various upgrades and stuff that draws more power than stuff did 30 years ago

I would pay to fix it all but it isn't mine and I have no permission but small things die fairly often due to the dodgy electrics and occasionally you get a shock from the microwave or the light switches or the bulbs pop randomly

I won't continue the lease when it runs out anyways

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, observer90210 said:

Yes, in Thailand there is.

Nothing is grounded in Thailand and so I don't want anything electric in my bathroom.

I have the same gas heater for about 30, yes thirty, years and a gasbottle outside my bathroom, working fine.

Granted, one has to be carefull with gas too.:thumbsup:

On 12/28/2017 at 4:14 PM, dyertribe said:

They aren't sub standard, they are just designed to be installed on an outside wall. Read the manual guys

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We use Mazuma gas powered water heaters in our house; love them.

I "cringe" at the electric ones b/c electric and water are life threatening. How many have been executed when using them?

+1 for gas. gas bottle outside. unit vented. great strong hot hot showers. AND no electric danger in shower area. decades ago here mostly had gas heaters. then all went electric and was harder to find the gas units. but there available.