• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 95

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

2. 7

Thailand Live Saturday 12 October 2024

3. 0

Man Drowns in Front of Sister While Searching for Shellfish in Surin Province

4. 1

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 47

Reasons of change

6. 141
    7. 63

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

8. 7

9. 0

Flash Flood Claims Lives of Two Tourists at Wang Lung Waterfall

10. 7

11. 0

Thai High-Risk Groups Urged to Get Covid-19 Boosters

12. 1

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

13. 28

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

14. 75

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

15. 1

How to I get rid of this new left hand sidebar?

Arise Sir Ringo - Beatles drummer knighted in UK honours list

rooster59

13 hours ago, vogie said:

When a reporter asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John said "he is not even the best drummer in the Beatles." Says it all really.

When the album Revolver came out a popular comment was "hey, they brought in a real drummer for this one."

I don't begrudge the guy, though, and as he has said himself in song, he's the luckiest guy in the world.  Much easier to stomach than, say, certain over-praised guitarists who go on about their own greatness.

This two-handed piece sign thing, well, it's a little over done and more than 40 years out of date.  He even does it when meeting people up close and personal.  Makes him look the fool, can't take him seriously.

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

When the album Revolver came out a popular comment was "hey, they brought in a real drummer for this one."

I don't begrudge the guy, though, and as he has said himself in song, he's the luckiest guy in the world.  Much easier to stomach than, say, certain over-praised guitarists who go on about their own greatness.

This two-handed piece sign thing, well, it's a little over done and more than 40 years out of date.  He even does it when meeting people up close and personal.  Makes him look the fool, can't take him seriously.

I never listened to Revolver when it came out, so can't comment, but Ringo's benefit to the group was to make it more appealing, rather than from skill with the skins. IMO the rest got a bit tiresome, but he kept them earthed. Like I said, just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

John was a bully, IMO. Just being able to write popular music doesn't make someone a nice person.

And just because someone is a member of the Beatles doesn't make them talented. Without John there wouldn't be a Beatles, without the Beatles Ringo would not have got an award. All it shows what a waste of time the Honours list is, and can I just remind you that this topic is about Ringo getting an award, suffice to say John was the Leader in the early days and if you construe leadership as being bullying so be it.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:51 PM, vogie said:

I'm sorry to disappoint  you, but without Lennon and McCartney and later George Harrison who were the talented members of the Beatles, Ringo Starr would probably now be cleaning windows in Birkenhead.

No problem.   You haven't disappointed me.       I was merely replying about how bullying seems to be so pervasive throughout     history.         

Since the Beatles broke up, I've had no interest in the music of  Ringo Star but while he was a Beatle's member he was a popular figure and as such, I see no justifiable reason for  john Lennon to take a dig at him.   That's all  I'm saying.

You left out how I posted both Lennon and McCartney  let Star and HARRISON know who was important to the group.

On 12/31/2017 at 1:40 PM, vogie said:

When a reporter asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John said "he is not even the best drummer in the Beatles." Says it all really.

Sorry mate, but it was Jasper Carrott who coined that phrase.

On 12/31/2017 at 1:40 PM, vogie said:

Sorry, that was Jasper Carrott who said that 'joke'.

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry mate, but it was Jasper Carrott who coined that phrase.

Thanks for that clarification although accuracy  and facts are generally frowned upon by this forum.

I forgot to add for vogie that  I have to question Ringo's occupation as a window cleaner had it not been for the Beatles.    I once read for a period of time Ringo was the most successful Beatle after the breakup.    Obviously that can't be true today.

Again, I am not really a fan of  Sir Star's voice or music.   I reply to the issue of dinging him.

I regret that the issues the Beatles had  causing  their breakup could not be resolved.   Christ, look at then routy  Stones.

Mick Jagger is approaching 97  or 105, and going strong.   How did they do it  with only booze and drugs?   The beatles only got STDs while in Hamburg...

Edited by watcharacters

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks for that clarification although accuracy  and facts are generally frowned upon by this forum.

I forgot to add for vogie that  I have to question Ringo's occupation as a window cleaner had it not been for the Beatles.    I once read for a period of time Ringo was the most successful Beatle after the breakup.    Obviously that can't be true today.

Again, I am not really a fan of  Sir Star's voice or music.   I reply to the issue of dinging him.

I regret that the issues the Beatles had  causing  their breakup could not be resolved.   Christ, look at then routy  Stones.

Mick Jagger is approaching 97  or 105, and going strong.   How did they do it  with only booze and drugs?   The beatles only got STDs while in Hamburg...

LOL. Perhaps because the Beatles took so many drugs later in their career that their music could only be enjoyed by fellow druggies.

Re Mick, I well remember the interview he gave when he said he didn't want to be an oldie rocker! I guess money is better than retiring to an old folk home

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 2 weeks later...