Where to buy motorbike boots in Bangkok?

simon43

I live in Myanmar. Today, as I was riding in the rain at about 50 kph, the bike in front of me braked when a patch of gravel appeared ahead, and I had to put my bike over to avoid running into him. My 125 dirt-bike was fine, my head and most of my body also fine (I always wear a good helmet, jacket etc).

The only injury was some cuts to my ankle, because stupid me was not wearing boots...

I will be in Bangkok in a few weeks, and would like to buy some lightweight bike boots to take back to Myanmar.

I have to buy from a 'bricks & mortar' shop in Bangkok because nothing ordered online gets delivered to Myanmar, Lazada Thailand do not deliver to Myanmar, and I have no address to accept parcel deliveries in Thailand (only a mailbox for letters). Besides, I would need to try on the boots in the shop.

Can anyone suggest a shop in BKK where I can buy boots, and also suggest (if you know) a make/model of lightweight boot? Most of my riding is on-road, or dry gravel or dry off-road, (the rain on this occasion was a low-lying cloud in the Shan hills...)

[quoote]
Aren't boots impractical? I'd opt to go slower
[/quote]

Why impractical?

EDIT: When I say 'boots', I don't mean knee-length boots. I mean ankle-length boots (or a little more), to protect the area between the bottom of my jeans and my feet.

I wasn't riding off-road, (where I would certainly be riding much slower). I was on a straight, tarmacked road behind a local biker and they saw the patch of gravel ahead and braked hard.

Just one of those things. But it was a minor demonstration of Murphy's Law (the only part of my body that wasn't protected was the part to hit the road)

Edited by simon43

Panda Rider or Paddock. I found Panda had a good selection and you can narrow down what you want from their website and then look at reviews on other websites like Revzilla. I bought Daytona Journey XCR, a nice leather boot with reasonable protection  but not a full on boot. They protect the ankles from grazing but doesn't give full support for crushing or twisting, can't walk too long in them though. Some of the TCX seem good too.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Boots.htm

http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=1&Itemid=625

Edited by taichiplanet

For service and a guaranteed genuine product, Panda or Paddock.  

As for work boots.  If you can find some that offer oil resistant soles, offer decent traction and no laces to get caught, then maybe.  Military boots, as smart as they might sound, don’t offer the same crash protection.

Work boots tend to be more rounded on the toes making it more awkward on the shifter.

My Forma adventure are cumbersome in comparison to my street shoes.  On long runs I adjust the shifter to compensate.

Whatever floats your boat.

Go with tried and tested.

Edited by BBJ

I picked up the Forma Boulder trials boots from Paddock in BKK. They seem like good quality. Sewed on sole and some ankle protection too. They're flexible and easy to walk in.

Edited by drift
grammar

Agree with 'thaiguzzi', only wear 'motorcycle boots' in poor UK weather - and try not to ride in that these days'.

For hot and dry I wear old leather walking boots but after several seasons here are falling apart. Love to replace with similar but modern walking boots seem to be all chunky soles and goretex now.

The large store 'Findig' found in a lot of Malls here seems to have a good selection of plainish leather boots some with steel toe caps. For rounder toes I just move the gear lever up a notch, no problem.

Soles falling off motorcycle boots seems to be commonplace here.

I had a pair of Alpinestars and a pair of Sidi from a well known shop that rhymes with Haddock and the soles fell off. On the Sidi they fell off within 2 weeks.

Also a pair of Alpinestars from A Square and the sole fell off. Plus a worn pair that an owner threw in with a bike purchase and the sole fell off.

I just glue them back on with good quality E-Poxy and they stay on then. Or a shoe shop could repair them for you. Not sure if it's the climate here or poor quality products.

Thanks Johnny. It was an old pair of walking boots from the UK so had a fair bit of use. Glued soles back on with Thai  Evostik contact adhesive for flexibility then tacked the welts with superglue for extra strength and 'peel resistance'.

I wonder how much of the 'branded' stuff here is counterfeit?

Thanks Johnny. It was an old pair of walking boots from the UK so had a fair bit of use. Glued soles back on with Thai  Evostik contact adhesive for flexibility then tacked the welts with superglue for extra strength and 'peel resistance'.
Sounds like they are counterfeit, I've never had a pair of shoes, golf shoes, walking shoes fall apart in Thailand

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

Sounds like they are counterfeit, I've never had a pair of shoes, golf shoes, walking shoes fall apart in Thailand

I doubt they were counterfeit. 4 pairs of boots from 3 different sources. I just think they tend to sell old stock here so the boots are often 2-3 years old by the time you buy them and then the glue further deteriorates over time with the heat and rain. Not a huge issue, couple of hundred baht and half an hour to sort out. Takes me longer to apply Saddle Soap to my leathers and that needs to be done regularly. 

Find a shop that installs windshields. They use a Urethane to glue them in.

That stuff does not come off. Tuff. Clean sole and bottom of boot. No oil, grease, old glue. Apply urethane - get it on your hands at your peril. Insert plastic bag into boot. Fill with sand, to pressure the boot onto the sole.

Thanks for all the advice - I'll go to Paddock when I visit BKK in a few weeks.

Next question (I won't bother starting a new thread...)

Where can I buy a new front tyre for my Honda XR125L (size 90 - 90)?

I ride on-road and off-road (but not in deep mud).

The front tyre on my bike is rather worn and the manufacturer is 'YuanChung' or something. Hardly fills me with confidence! The rear tyre is the same make, but not much worn.

I'd like to buy something like Pirelli MT21 or similar, if they come in 90-90 size. I can buy a new rear tyre also maybe.

Any suggestions for a tyre model and where to buy in BKK?

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
21 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

I hadn’t until last week.

comically, a friend of mine a year or so ago went down the route of army boots.  Soles fell off after a week.

He then opted for workboots from homepro and messed his knee after coming to a stop and slipping on some food stall’s greasy water which was disposed of down the side drains.

All have a story I guess.

Edited by BBJ

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Thanks for all the advice - I'll go to Paddock when I visit BKK in a few weeks.

Next question (I won't bother starting a new thread...)

Where can I buy a new front tyre for my Honda XR125L (size 90 - 90)?

I ride on-road and off-road (but not in deep mud).

The front tyre on my bike is rather worn and the manufacturer is 'YuanChung' or something. Hardly fills me with confidence! The rear tyre is the same make, but not much worn.

I'd like to buy something like Pirelli MT21 or similar, if they come in 90-90 size. I can buy a new rear tyre also maybe.

Any suggestions for a tyre model and where to buy in BKK?

Tire29 or 29tire dot com.  Can’t remember which way around.

Work boots are better than no boots.  But there’s a very good reason why motorcycle boots don’t have steel toe caps.

Similar to a bicycle helmet on a motorcycle will offer some protection than none.  In the wrong accident it’s a different matter.

Riding is also about confidence.  If you’re confident in what you’re wearing then physiologically you’ll put that into riding rather than thinking if the protection you’re wearing is good enough. 

I have Fox body armour which I wear to and from the track.  I don’t wear it on long a long tarmac journey.  The protection it offers is different to my Rev’it sand textile jacket which affects the way I ride.

Then again, some are confident wearing Crocs or no helmet at all.  You takes your chances!

Edited by BBJ

For dirt bike boots you can try Dirtshop in BKK as well.

http://www.dirtshopthailand.com/en_Products.aspx?products_type_id=2&products_category_id=23

I got tyres for my Ninja from U-Turn Bangkok, good price - maybe give them a call they've got a hot chick who speaks very good English. 

U-Turn SHOP
4.48 Google reviews

Motorcycle parts store in Bangkok, Thailand

Address: 191/ ซอย ลาดพร้าว 86, 1 Lat Phrao 94 Alley, Phlabphla, Wang Thonglang, Bangkok 10310
Hours: 
Open today · 10AM–8PM

Phone098 248 0130

I picked up the Forma Boulder trials boots from Paddock in BKK. They seem like good quality. Sewed on sole and some ankle protection too. They're flexible and easy to walk in.

I bought some Forma boots for the wife, she wore them twice and one of the soles came away!!!
Also from Paddock.

Mate bought a Shoei GT air and had an issue.
Also from Paddock...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I bought some Forma boots for the wife, she wore them twice and one of the soles came away!!!
Also from Paddock.

Also from Paddock...

Yep my Sidi's from the same place lasted about the same amount of time before the sole came off.

The last pair I bought were Dainese and I have to say they are fantastic boots and well worth a bit extra. In fact, all their gear is fantastic and worth the extra cash.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yep my Sidi's from the same place lasted about the same amount of time before the sole came off.

The last pair I bought were Dainese and I have to say they are fantastic boots and well worth a bit extra. In fact, all their gear is fantastic and worth the extra cash.

Yeah, it's a shame really, never know who to trust in this place with regards to copies / originals etc especially at a place like Paddock which gets a lot of Kudos.

My mate did get his helmet replaced without too much hassle though which to be honest was quite suprising...

7 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Also from Paddock.

Also from Paddock...

Those Forma boots wouldn't have been the the Adventure model would they?

That was a common problem with them everywhere I read.  Especially in a hot damp climate the glue doesn't hold well. Supposedly they've fixed the problem now. That's why I bought the Trials model;  the sole is sewn on . 2 years now and still OK with mine. I use Gaerne trials boots back home. They seem to be much higher quality than Forma IMHO.

That was a common problem with them everywhere I read.  Especially in a hot damp climate the glue doesn't hold well. Supposedly they've fixed the problem now. That's why I bought the Trials model;  the sole is sewn on . 2 years now and still OK with mine. I use Gaerne trials boots back home. They seem to be much higher quality than Forma IMHO.

No idea what model they are mate, almost like converse boots, certainly not heavy duty.

Still 6000 baht though!

18 hours ago, drift said:

My Forma Adv bought from Panda have been in wet mud and baked.  Submerged and baked.  And they still look new.  I guess it's just pot luck if you get a pair that hasn't been stocked for 2 years or more.