Sattelite Tv Systems In Cm

Donnyboy

I contacted JSat recently on the recommendation by some members, and was disappointed to find out they dont cover the northern region. However, I do know that Dynasat does cover CM, but are there any others non- UBC sattelite companies that install and service which you highly recommend?

Looking for free to air sports ie F1, rugby, tennis, BBC, and some documentary channels

thanks.

I contacted JSat recently on the recommendation by some members, and was disappointed to find out they dont cover the northern region. However, I do know that Dynasat does cover CM, but are there any others non- UBC sattelite companies that install and service which you highly recommend?

Looking for free to air sports ie F1, rugby, tennis, BBC, and some documentary channels

thanks.

You can get the latest DM500 ( you need a hight speed internet connection) decoder from J-sat and arrange Tech Sat (Dynasat are in Bangkok and only make dishes) to fit the dish, LNB and motor. This will give you multichoice and Dream. Alternatively get Tech-Sat in Chiang Mai to do the lot for you. However you will need a further 'fixed' dish to access Asiasat-4

regards

Nigel

thanks.

getting UBC is easy. www.ubctv.com

decent selection with the gold package. About 1500 baht a month and they install it fast. Could definitely be more channels and less re runs but pretty easy to get installed and going. Just a few days for me.

thanks.

getting UBC is easy. www.ubctv.com

decent selection with the gold package. About 1500 baht a month and they install it fast. Could definitely be more channels and less re runs but pretty easy to get installed and going. Just a few days for me.

didnt want UBC as an option due to the fact that they didnt cover the Super 14 rugby last year and no tri-nations either, and heaps of re-runs. Also after the monthly cost plus 10,000 baht install over 12 months, you could own a sattelite system.

so looks like a call to tech sat for me.

There are many options but the DM 500 STB seems the best and most efficient for the long term. Auto updates etc. Once the moveable dish and the STB is connected and setup that should be it. I am going to get the DM 500 myself. Wish it was available when I started looking into satellite dishes etc.

Get the STB from Bkk and buy the dish in Chiangmai and get one of the local companies to install it for you.

The Dynasat STB (F1 STB, I here the angel box is a bit more reliable) picking up the "Dream" is a bit hit and miss with the weather and the encryption problems, sometimes going down for hours - days at time.

If you want the rugby - Super 14's it can be picked up on Australia Network on PAS 8 but the games are encrypted. Australia Network will send you a smart card for free but it cannot be used on the current Dynasat STBs. I got PSI sat (Mahidol Rd) to install a fixed dish a 3 years ago to pick the PAS 8 satellite up and it works fine but it is has very limited FTA and very few English channels. (the PSI people said that to pick up PAS 8 it required a fixed dish because of the angle.) Good viewing though.

I got a package deal with North Star Satellite late 2005 to set up a Dynasat moveable dish and F1 STB. They installed it with OK but and it works fine apart from the hit and miss from "Dream" which is not their fault. The price was about 20K baht. Many satellites to choose from but many of the channels are encrypted.

Nice enough people but backup service is very slow and the ability to sort out queries is hampered by language and the experience.

There is also a shop which sells Satellite bits and pieces and will do installion on Chiangmoi road on the same side as Mikes burgers on the corner heading down the road about 150 mtrs just before the TMB. I have not used them but bought some bits and pieces and they appeared to know what they thay were talking about a helped me with some queries. No English though.

Good luck

Don

Edited by newcomer01

There are many options but the DM 500 STB seems the best and most efficient for the long term. Auto updates etc. Once the moveable dish and the STB is connected and setup that should be it. I am going to get the DM 500 myself. Wish it was available when I started looking into satellite dishes etc.

Get the STB from Bkk and buy the dish in Chiangmai and get one of the local companies to install it for you.

The Dynasat STB (F1 STB, I here the angel box is a bit more reliable) picking up the "Dream" is a bit hit and miss with the weather and the encryption problems, sometimes going down for hours - days at time.

If you want the rugby - Super 14's it can be picked up on Australia Network on PAS 8 but the games are encrypted. Australia Network will send you a smart card for free but it cannot be used on the current Dynasat STBs. I got PSI sat (Mahidol Rd) to install a fixed dish a 3 years ago to pick the PAS 8 satellite up and it works fine but it is has very limited FTA and very few English channels. (the PSI people said that to pick up PAS 8 it required a fixed dish because of the angle.) Good viewing though.

I got a package deal with North Star Satellite late 2005 to set up a Dynasat moveable dish and F1 STB. They installed it with OK but and it works fine apart from the hit and miss from "Dream" which is not their fault. The price was about 20K baht. Many satellites to choose from but many of the channels are encrypted.

Nice enough people but backup service is very slow and the ability to sort out queries is hampered by language and the experience.

There is also a shop which sells Satellite bits and pieces and will do installion on Chiangmoi road on the same side as Mikes burgers on the corner heading down the road about 150 mtrs just before the TMB. I have not used them but bought some bits and pieces and they appeared to know what they thay were talking about a helped me with some queries. No English though.

Good luck

Don

DM 500 STB..PAS 8...PSI...FTA...F1 STB????? :D

Well you confused the f*** out of me. Nice one!! I think your last sentence summed it all up very nicely. :o

Cheers

Sorry, I shouldn't have used jargon but it is a bit hard not to sometimes.

For info check these sites http://www.jsat.tv/news.htm It shows the satellites which we may be able to receive.

http://www.jsat.tv/faq-home.htm - For info

Also http://www.jsat.tv/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Also

K band http://www.answers.com/topic/satellite-bands

Limits

Ku band signals can be affected by rain attenuation (rain fade). In case of TV reception, only heavy rainfalls (>100 mm/hr) will have noticeable effect for the user. This effects us in Chiangmai.

C band http://www.answers.com/topic/c-band-1

Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/231

Hope this is of some help.

Don

Good luck

Don

thanks for your input everyone,

ok, so it looks like I need to purchase the DM500 STB from JSAT and a "move dish" from the local company and get the whole system to be installed by a CM installer then. Also a ABC smart card via JSAT.

Didnt want slow backup service, so I might go for the place down Chiang moi rd to ask if they would install and supply the dish and cable run only.

Good luck

Don

ok, so it looks like I need to purchase the DM500 STB from JSAT and a "move dish" from the local company and get the whole system to be installed by a CM installer then. Also a ABC smart card via JSAT.

Didnt want slow backup service, so I might go for the place down Chiang moi rd to ask if they would install and supply the dish and cable run only.

BTW has anyone gone thru this process and bought a STB thru JSAT and had the system installed by a local installer?

just wanted to know if the install was sucessful or not ie picking up all the channels etc

Edited by Donnyboy

Good luck

Don

don do let us know how it goes. would like to know what they have to say and what the options were and of course the prices. channel list etc :o .. hope not asking too much.

not asking much at all, some other members have asked me as well, so I maybe the "virgin" test case. Will post something once it becomes clearer- probably in a few weeks. :o

Edited by Donnyboy

:o

STB = Set Top Box

PAS = Name of a satellite

PSI = Name of a satellite company

FTA = Free To Air

Hope this helps :D

Oh, and TMB = Thai Military Bank :D

Yes mate thanks, that's a big help, things are a lot clearer now, now that you've unscrambled my signal and pointed me in the right direction.

This site may be of some use to the uninitiated - like what I am: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/en/faq.html#stb

BTW there is one more you forgot: UBC

Cheers

PS Sorry newcomer01 not taking the p***, just trying to lighten the discussion. :D

No problems, when I reread my post again I realised that I had used a lot of jargon.

For Donnyboy -

If you get the DM 500 you will not need the smartcard fron Australia Network. You will get the rugby on other satellites. Australia Network is broadcast on the PAS 8 satellite and if PSI sat are correct you will need another dish (fixed) to pick it up. Australia network is broadcasted on "Dream" Agula 2 Satellite (Rugby games are not encrypted).

I cannot pick up PAS 8 on my moveable dish (can anyone else pick it up in Cnx with their moveable dish?)

Note: Australia Network smartcard - JSAT does not supply, just email Australian Network (links below) and they will send you one. Smartcard reader has to be IRDETO 2 (encryption type) capable. This is from Dynasat - June 2006 ABC (Now Australian Network) card cannot be used with SilverBox / F1 / IRD7100/IRD7200+2CI now - The next version may support.

http://australianetwork.com/tuning/encryption.htm Smartcard info

http://australianetwork.com/tuning/register.htm To obtain smartcard.

Installing the Satellite dish and wiring. Whoever you get to do the installation will probably set up the dish positions with their on STB, if it works with their STB it will work with the DM500 STB. I haven't setup a DM500 myself but my friend has and had no problems He just connected it to his existing system and used the Instant LAN (Local area Network) http://www.jsat.tv/dm500pack.htm. This requires 2 units - one for the DM500 and on for your Computer/Router/HUB

Note LAN for DM500: If you already have a wireless LAN on your computer you may consider connecting a wireless LAN to your DM500.

Please note that the DM500 does not have an inbuilt dish mover and a separate dish mover has to be purchased. If you already have a moveable dish STB you can still use it to move the dish.

Extra things to consider:

When getting the satellite dish co-ax cables (use only RG 6) installed is if you want it going to any other rooms. If so get it done at the same time.

Note: Each room/connection will require a STB for you to use it.

If you have existing television cabling in the house to other rooms you can get them to run the signal from the STB back into the house cabling. This means whatever the channel the STB is tuned to can be seen on the other TV's (requires TV splitter).

Don

Edited by newcomer01

Info from Dynasat June 2006

Dynasat distributers Chiangmai

1 ChiangMai Technical Co.,Ltd.

เชียงใหม่

45 / 1 Moo 3, ChiangMai-LamPang Rd., Tambol ChangPuek, Amphur Muang, ChiangMai

053-221627

01-6719080

053-408702

Contact Mr. Santi

2 Tech Satellite Limited

เชียงใหม่

369/1 Moo3, Tambol ChuengDoi, Tambol ChuengDoi, Amphur DoiSaket , Chiangmai 50220

06-9111106

Contact Mr. Rachan

Info from Dynasat June 2006

Dynasat distributers Chiangmai

1 ChiangMai Technical Co.,Ltd.

เชียงใหม่

45 / 1 Moo 3, ChiangMai-LamPang Rd., Tambol ChangPuek, Amphur Muang, ChiangMai

053-221627

01-6719080

053-408702

Contact Mr. Santi

2 Tech Satellite Limited

เชียงใหม่

369/1 Moo3, Tambol ChuengDoi, Tambol ChuengDoi, Amphur DoiSaket , Chiangmai 50220

06-9111106

Contact Mr. Rachan

Update/conclusion: Yeterdays events.

My girlfriend and I located the satellite place on Chiang Moi rd as recommended by a poster (for parts anyway) to see if they could install a JSAT system. The staff were helpful in answering some questions but were unsure about installing someone elses system, the boss (some guy with glasses) must have overheard from the back and decided to come out. He was very condesending in his tone as he scoffed that JSAT had rubbish. When asked about service re updating firmware, his reply was ''which channel you watch, which channel you watch''....... , then we replied all channels but do you update the firmware, he started saying ''which channel you watch'' and then decided to walk back to his office ...... after which my girlfriend and I decided this is not good enough and said dont worry to his staff and walked out. Not a good experience, obviously he didnt think we were serious about purchasing a system. :o

We heard that a neighbor in our moo ban had just had a satellite system installed, we made enquires at the moo ban office to see if we could contact them about it. Sure enough it was ok, and we went over and saw the system in action. The neighbors were very complementarty about the satellite company and said they had very good service in terms of upgrading firmware which they were doing for free for 12 months after install, and 200 baht/upgrade thereafter.

After getting the contacted details we rung the sat. company and got details on costs, which channels we would get. The person we spoke to at this company couldnt be more helpful so we have gone ahead and used him. Install taking place as I write this.

Install done after about 4 hours. Very good workmanship performed. Training done on operation and payment made. Now happy customers! :D

The contrasts between the first and second satellite companies would be like black to white in terms of service and ease to deal with.

Although it wasnt the Jsat STB system I wanted, it still covered all the channels I wanted to watch and the company is 5 minutes away for any upgrades and 15,000 cheaper.

Channnels in English - 34 that I have found so far

Movies/Tv Shows 9 Channels

Sports 4 channels

News/financial 4 channels

Documentary 7 channels

Kids 4 channels

other 6 channels

Contact was the same one as newcomer01 stated in BOLD- Tech Satellite

I have contact details if required also. PM me.

thanks for your help/comments newcomer01 :D

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have UBC gold and tried the Dynasat 2m moveable dish. Gets many sats in the clear, lots of Chinese,Indian and Mideast channels. Aquila Ku gets everything on UBC platinum. The STB is chipped and needs to be re-burned every 6 months or so - no charge so far...