Reaction to US/Thai lovebirds David and Annie on Facebook shows news savvy Thais are growing up!

webfact

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

What on earth do they find to talk about? Maybe they just eat, and watch TV.

Me, being married to a lovely Thai lady, 22 years younger than myself, have been asked the same question by a farang lady who is married to a farang her age, about 65.

I returned the question to her. "What are you talking about the whole day ?  Whenever I see you it's talking about the most trivial matters like food and how much you paid for this or that, gossip about others, while your television is on for at least 8 hours a day."

So, Jeremy50, what do you find to talk about with your partner ? Philosophy ? Discussing the books you read on an intellectual level ?  Sience ?  Mathematics ?  Religion ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has to stay for at least 2 years with him in the United States in order to qualify for citizenship/green card.

I can guarantee that he's not going to be teaching English.  Actually, his best friend had a "second business" set up related to Thailand "Love" Adventures and this David guy was running it, but it probably was more of a "hobby" than a real legitimate money-making enterprise with economy of scale.

1 minute ago, kcpattaya said:

Factual: Most Thais are richer than farangs here...

I find that statement extremely hard to believe.  Thai society follows the shape of a huge lopsided bell curve, with the agrarian masses arrayed nearer the lower end and another, but smaller concentration of Hi-So’s at the top. The emerging middle class cluster however, is growing in size and importance. The simple truth is that farangs generally indulge in more costly habits and needs than a typical Thai.  Thais have no need to fly outside of Thailand for home visits and only the truly wealthy take expensive foreign vacations.  Most middle class here enjoy their vacations..if they can even call them that,  within the national borders. If they could live more simply, farangs would easily have more wherewithal than an average Thai and even in spite of their spending habits, I see clear signs that they do live a higher standard than their local counterparts.  Don’t even get me started on how dual pricing can dampen farang lifestyles here. The country tends to be influenced by the exceptions brought to our attention by the media, and there is definitely an unfair skewing of statistics when the news is bombarded by slovenly, drunken or crazed foreign behaviors. 

Obviously not all that broke. 50,000 sin sot plus buffaloes?

18,000 just to apply for a K1 visa. 40,000 baht airfare to the US, and in AZ e.g. minimum 480,000 baht ($16,000) income to qualify for a fiancee visa, or 5X in available assets. 

If somebody else sponsored them on the financials that is a Hell of a good friend!

Typical Farang come over to Thailand, apparently given up a chance of getting a bird at home. Then latches on to  a Thai girl who see's him as a way of supporting her family (which is normal in Thailand given the parents look after their children, and when they get older the children are expected to look after their parents) Having a foreigner who hasn't got the ability to support a Thai (and their family) is not much use IMHO. Pack you bags and go home, she needs an asset not a hinderance. As the saying goes, love doesn't pay your bills !

2 hours ago, caulfield2 said:

Well, yeah...you would think the general feeling would be that she is the one that's actually worse off.  If you know anything about the show or relationship, he's been sponging off his best friend for years, is an alcoholic, in overall bad health and relying on the charity of his friend for a place to stay (in a firehouse's living quarters)...plus, she's in the middle of the countryside with no connection to Thai culture in the USA.

Could be any number of TVF posters. 

58 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Factual: Most Thais are richer than farangs here...

I agree.  My wife has her own, nice,  home in Isaan.  No local government rates to pay,  no worries at all. No outgoings at all. It costs us $100 a week to live in my home in Australia just in local government rates/taxes.and increasing yearly 

Overall she is better off than I am in that respect. 

36 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

I find that statement extremely hard to believe.  Thai society follows the shape of a huge lopsided bell curve, with the agrarian masses arrayed nearer the lower end and another, but smaller concentration of Hi-So’s at the top. The emerging middle class cluster however, is growing in size and importance. The simple truth is that farangs generally indulge in more costly habits and needs than a typical Thai.  Thais have no need to fly outside of Thailand for home visits and only the truly wealthy take expensive foreign vacations.  Most middle class here enjoy their vacations..if they can even call them that,  within the national borders. If they could live more simply, farangs would easily have more wherewithal than an average Thai and even in spite of their spending habits, I see clear signs that they do live a higher standard than their local counterparts.  Don’t even get me started on how dual pricing can dampen farang lifestyles here. The country tends to be influenced by the exceptions brought to our attention by the media, and there is definitely an unfair skewing of statistics when the news is bombarded by slovenly, drunken or crazed foreign behaviors. 

Yes dual pricing ?, aimed at farangs because they earn more, not aimed at Thai elite tho, who are head and shoulders ( in wealth ) above any farang who visits Thailand

dont know of any other country that discriminates as much as Thailand

What made me laugh at the gold shop 1 baht of gold & 1 baht of gold coming together equals 11 baht of gold, nice try stupid thais but this stupid foreigner believed it crazy. Of cos then want more ie 2 buffalo 555555 unbelievable. I can't also believe his friend lending him money all the time, he cannot be desperate for his friendship. It can only end in tears.  

19 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Oh the irony!! 

Its not irony at all .

As this posts demonstrates , I can reply to other peoples opinion on here , get involved in the discussion, rather than just reading reports of other people talking , without being able to respond to them

50 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

You have just described the majority of western countries.The only difference being that in the west middle class is rapidly becoming the working poor. I. E. Slaves

Edited by tryasimight

He used his best friend's financial guarantee/co-signer in order to meet the income requirement...as he didn't have a job when he brought her back to the US.

Essentially, it's a guarantee that she won't receive any Federal government support/welfare no matter what happens to their relationship, as long as she's in the US.   So if she's not working and they get divorced, his friend assumes responsibility for her financial welfare should David be unable to pay support.

Needless to say, the best friend's wife wasn't too happy to learn of that financial arrangement.

7 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Yes dual pricing ?, aimed at farangs because they earn more, not aimed at Thai elite tho, who are head and shoulders ( in wealth ) above any farang who visits Thailand

dont know of any other country that discriminates as much as Thailand

Do a quick calculation .

How much extra money did you spend last year on dual pricing ?

Last year, I spent a total of 50 Baht getting into a Zoo .

I paid 100 Baht to get in, whereas thais paid 50 Baht

How much extra did you pay last year ?

Oh, as far as I understand it, they receive just $1,500 per show (X12) for appearing, so after you subtract taxes, it's not going to be enough to survive on for more than 3-4 months, even in Kentucky.  When they were spending time of vacation in Los Angeles, his best friend was basically paying for everything for them until the friend's wife kicked them out of LA and forced them to end the subsidized vacation early.  Have the sense the friend just enjoyed being on tv (and coming across as  "good guy") and possibly thought the airtime would be good advertising for his business enterprise in Thailand.

1 hour ago, caulfield2 said:

She has to stay for at least 2 years with him in the United States in order to qualify for citizenship/green card.

I can guarantee that he's not going to be teaching English.  Actually, his best friend had a "second business" set up related to Thailand "Love" Adventures and this David guy was running it, but it probably was more of a "hobby" than a real legitimate money-making enterprise with economy of scale.

Actually, she doesn't need to stay with him for the 2 years. I personally know 2 guys (US friends) who married Pinays who after arriving in US claimed spousal abuse and filed for divorce.  If they had just tried to file for regular divorce they would have been granted it but would have had to leave. By filing under abuse the gov protects them and doesn't penalize them for getting involved with an unscrupulous guy, allegedly

38 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

You have just described the majority of western countries.The only difference being that in the west middle class is rapidly becoming the working poor. I. E. Slaves

Slaves?

Yeah, right, that’s what’s happening to the middle class in the West...

My American friend was living in Pattaya and he and his gf had a baby. He later lost his money in the stock market. So he decided to go back to the States to make money. He married his gf so the American government would give her a visa. Because he had little money, the American government felt he couldn't support his wife in the States so they refused a visa for his wife.

4 hours ago, caulfield2 said:

Well, yeah...you would think the general feeling would be that she is the one that's actually worse off.  If you know anything about the show or relationship, he's been sponging off his best friend for years, is an alcoholic, in overall bad health and relying on the charity of his friend for a place to stay (in a firehouse's living quarters)...plus, she's in the middle of the countryside with no connection to Thai culture in the USA.

Lots of rednecks in that part of Kentucky, may not cotton to an asian in their midst, might think she is Vietnamese and take retribution, I know the area well, my brother lives there and many a cross has been burned in Hardin County Kentucky.

Art imitating life.....  Calling this fake reality TV "art" is a velly velly looong stretch though.  I've seen some clips on Youtube, it's HORRIBLE stuff.  

I was left wondering why US Immigration authorities didn't come down on this stupid program like a ton of bricks.   This show seems to be an obvious piss-take on the ridiculous nature of in-your-face K1 fiance visa fraud.