Why you should never leave your car running with the keys inside

Why you should never leave your car running with the keys inside

Screen Shot 2561-01-04 at 10.10.50.png

A video shared to Thai social media has highlighted the dangers of leaving your vehicle unattended with the keys inside.

The video shows a black pick up truck parking up at Shell gas station somewhere in Thailand.

The driver leaves the vehicle unattended with the engine running. 

Two people on a motorbike can be seen following the vehicle as it pulls onto the station forecourt.

One of the people then jumps off the motorbike and drives away with the pick up truck.

48 minutes ago, TVGerry said:

Haha why would anyone do such a dumb thing here? I mean it's not like this is Japan or something! There should be an additional dumbo premium for insurance for these people?

I would think that the drive might just find out that insurance policy might not cover him/her, as he/she has a duty of care not to leave the vehicle unattended with the keys in it and running.

This in my opinion was a dumb insurance job, why else would a bike with two people on it with helmets follow it into the petrol station and wait for the drive to go into the service station forecourt, badly staged in my opinion.

Had the bike been parked there already and then the pick up enter, I would say fair chance it wasn't an insurance job.

1 hour ago, johncat1 said:

Strange sub headline :   It is not possible to leave the engine running if you remove the keys   .. BUT definitely a very badly planned insurance scam 

Hmmm.... you must be used to old cars.... my 2016 vehicle does not need a key in the ignition to either start the vehicle or to keep it running..... indeed, there is no ignition to insert a key!!!

5 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Hmmm.... you must be used to old cars.... my 2016 vehicle does not need a key in the ignition to either start the vehicle or to keep it running..... indeed, there is no ignition to insert a key!!!

You still need your key fob.  Without it you can push the button for all you're worth and it won't start.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would think that the drive might just find out that insurance policy might not cover him/her, as he/she has a duty of care not to leave the vehicle unattended with the keys in it and running.

This in my opinion was a dumb insurance job, why else would a bike with two people on it with helmets follow it into the petrol station and wait for the drive to go into the service station forecourt, badly staged in my opinion.

Had the bike been parked there already and then the pick up enter, I would say fair chance it wasn't an insurance job.

Or perhaps the driver was a regular customer who was known by staff at the petrol station to always leave the engine running and had been previously identified, by one of them, to the thieves.

Either they then found out his movements and followed him or, if his routine was predictable (time and/or day), waited for him a 100 metres before the entrance.

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I wonder why car manufacturers don't hardwire GPS trackers into the cars nowadays. They are dirt cheap now.

No idea that car makes prefer that the car get stolen to sell more ?

What is so stupid if people who do not put their own GPS in their car...

I have two.

16 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I wonder why car manufacturers don't hardwire GPS trackers into the cars nowadays. They are dirt cheap now.

Because making a million cars at 500 baht for a GPS is 500 million baht. Do they make the price of a 500,000 car 501,000 if it is fitted or keep the price the same and swallow the 500 million themselves. Bean counters dictate how business are run these days.

Archived