Paypal Policy Update

I just noticed this on the PayPal website's policy updates page, forgive me if it's old news :o

Enabling New Countries for PayPal

Notice Date: April 29, 2004

Effective Date: June 4, 2004

Users from the following 7 countries: Ecuador, Malaysia, Monaco, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela will be allowed to create PayPal accounts, send and receive money and withdraw money to US banks.

Users from the following 4 countries: Jamaica, Argentina, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic will be allowed to receive money in addition to their existing capability of sending money.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you'll be able to setup a PayPal account using a Thai bank account though..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to follow up, I emailed PayPal for a better explanation of what these changes mean to someone in Thailand, here is their reply:

The information you've referenced indicates that you would be able to establish a PayPal account, and use it in a limited way. You would be able to receive payments from items sold on auction and websites, and use the funds received to purchase items on these sites as well. Those with a US based bank account would have the ability to withdraw funds to that US bank account.

It is a step toward expanding the PayPal availability and process in

general, and although the capabilities for these new members is

substantially limited, the capabilities with these accounts will be

expanded over time.  I regret any inconvenience this may cause for you.

After mentioning this to a local Thai friend who offers tours within Thailand -eg, Undiscovered Issan, he is very excited, as it will provide him with an opportunity to offer a well recognised form of payment for his web sales.

He has advertised and had editorial comments in the English Thai Newspapers for his tours and this has drawn a lot of interest but up to now he has been forced to take deposits by chq or bank transfer/ Western Union which have all cost a lot in commisions.

So -His and the big question is ..??

If you reside in Thailand, are Thai, or even as an expat.

How do you go about opening a US Bank account when you have never set foot in the States?

If you are not a US resident what is the best option then to open a US bank account wth say an ATM card and net banking?

Any advice or experience?

Interesting.

I received an email from Paypal only yesterday.

They said that they did not operate in Thailand at present.

Got one today..

-----Original Message-----

Sent: den 12 maj 2004 16:01

To: *******

Subject: Re: International:InternationalAvailability

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

PayPal does not provide services in Thailand. If your friends have

opened PayPal Accounts, they must have chosen a different country to

use as their residence, because Thailand is not a country on the list

to choose from.

If you have a Swedish PayPal Account open, you are supposed to close

it, as attempting to use that account from Thailand will result in the

account being limited.

Unfortunately, we are not yet providing services in the country in

which you reside. Establishing our service in each new country involves

complex changes due to different regulations in each country. We are

working hard and look forward to expanding our services to additional

countries in the future.

At this time, membership is available to residents of the following

countries:

*Anguilla *Argentina *Australia *Austria *Belgium *Brazil *Canada

*Chile *China *Costa Rica *Denmark *Dominican Republic *Finland *France

*Germany *Greece *Hong Kong *Iceland *India *Ireland *Israel *Italy

*Jamaica *Japan *Luxembourg *Mexico *Netherlands *New Zealand *Norway

*Portugal *Singapore *South Korea *Spain *Sweden *Switzerland * Taiwan

*United Kingdom

I just noticed this on the PayPal website's policy updates page, forgive me if it's old news

Can you provide the link where you found this info? Can't seem to find it..

Don't know if they misunderstood me and thought that I was living in Sweden or if I really can use a Swedish bankaccount to withdraw money to. But as I don't have a Swedish address don't know (I am swedish though)...

Sent: den 12 maj 2004 20:59

To: *******

Subject: Re: Restricted :auto-bp

Dear ********,

Thank you for writing to PayPal with your concerns.

You can add a Swedish bank to your account at this time if you have a

Swedish home address added to your PayPal Account, you can use a Swedish Bank Account for PayPal withdrawals. The following rules apply:

· Withdrawals will take 5-7 business days to post to your account

· There is a minimum withdrawal amount for withdrawals to Non-U.S.

bank accounts. To see the minimum amount in all available currencies,

click the 'minimum withdrawal amount' link on the 'Withdraw Funds by

Electronic Transfer' page

· A fee of SEK 7.00 (Swedish Krona) will be assessed for each

withdrawal to your Swedish Bank Account

· Returned withdrawals incur a fee of SEK 53.00 (Swedish Krona)

· Swedish members may be granted a monthly withdrawal limit when

they open an account. Members must add a credit card and complete the

PayPal Expanded Use Enrollment Process to withdraw unlimited funds to a

U.S. Bank Account or a Swedish Bank Account

· Swedish Bank Accounts have to be denominated in Swedish Krona for

the transfer to be successful

· Swedish Bank Accounts cannot be used to send Instant Transfer or

eCheck payments

Thank you for being a valuable member of the PayPal community.

5 emails from PayPal and still I don't understand what I will be able to do and not..

Living in Thailand and withdrawing money to my Swedish account or not...

Everytime I get an answer from a new person, who says something different...

Topprofile and swe,

Please read the follow up I posted. It explains it very clearly:

The information you've referenced indicates that you would be able to establish a PayPal account, and use it in a limited way. You would be able to receive payments from items sold on auction and websites, and use the funds received to purchase items on these sites as well. Those with a US based bank account would have the ability to withdraw funds to that US bank account.

It is a step toward expanding the PayPal availability and process in

general, and although the capabilities for these new members is

substantially limited, the capabilities with these accounts will be

expanded over time.  I regret any inconvenience this may cause for you.

1) As of June 4th 2004 you will be able to setup a PayPal account using a Thai bank account. You cannot do it now because it's not June 4th yet.

2) A PayPal account linked to a Thai bank can be used to receive payments and make payments with other PayPal users.

3) If you have a US bank account you can withdraw money from your Thai PayPal account. If you don't have a US bank account, you cannot withdraw money from a Thai-based PayPal account.

4) The capabilities with these accounts will be expanded over time - I read this as saying they're trying to work out a deal with a Thai bank(s) for withdrawals.

well it looks like you can recieve money (is that in Baht?) and send that same money thru Paypal to buy something else,

I guess for many of us the question is can we get to our USA etc Paypal account from a Thai ISP without probllems or any other questioning (after June 4th)

Guest chingy
2) A PayPal account linked to a Thai bank can be used to receive payments and make payments with other PayPal users.
so does this mean my thai bank can only do the transaction only but i cannot withraw money, am i correct
3) If you have a US bank account you can withdraw money from your Thai PayPal account. If you don't have a US bank account, you cannot withdraw money from a Thai-based PayPal account.

how does a US bank related to my Thai Bank, pretent i do have a US bank how would i withraw money, that mean my Thai bank have to link with my US bank to withraw the money.

heheh.. a new way for all the mugs to send hospital money for sick buffallos to their little hoez, I bet they'll be partying all night long in the bars in pattaya tonight :o

Nice 1 Frankie !!!!!! Keep the money coming guys,CHEERS !!!!!!

I'm soooo fed up with PayPal's support I could #*#*...

I think they have an automated system that answers the emails and randomly puts a new name at the bottom of every outgoing email...

The thing is that I registered my account when living in Sweden and now when moving to Thailand they've limited my account and I cannot get to my funds. I'm asking them whether I can add a Swedish bankaccount to withdraw my money and if they will "unlimit" my account when the new policy takes effect.

But everytime I get different answers from different people...

2004-05-12 22:02

The country listed with your home mailing address must coincide with the bank account you attempt to add. Since you have registered your PayPal

account under Sweden, the only bank accounts you will be able to add are a Sweden account and a U.S. bank account from a branch located within

the United States.

· Members in some countries may not use PayPal to receive payments,

and may only send payments

· Withdrawals to a foreign bank in U.S. denominated funds are not

available with your PayPal Account. Only U.S. bank accounts, from a

branch located within the U.S., denominated in U.S. Dollars can be added to a PayPal account

2004-05-13 02:45

I am sorry, we will not be able to restore your account to full access.

We look forward to expanding our services to additional countries in the future. Establishing our service in each new country involves complex

changes due to different regulations in each of these countries. Our

International Team is working hard to expand our services as rapidly as

possible.

As of June 4th 2004 you will be able to setup a PayPal account using a Thai bank account.
Where did you find this information?
If you have a US bank account you can withdraw money from your Thai PayPal account. If you don't have a US bank account, you cannot withdraw money from a Thai-based PayPal account

Maybe good for people from the US, but what about other people who don't have US accounts?

Where did you find this information?
On the PayPal website. Login to your account, then click the "Policy Updates" link.
Maybe good for people from the US, but what about other people who don't have US accounts?

Too bad for now I guess, unless you are willing to use the PayPal incoming funds for PayPal purchases only.

Sheesh, PayPal are going to have to put me on the books soon! So much for a simple "share the knowledge" post :o

so does this mean my thai bank can only do the transaction only but i cannot withraw money, am i correct

Correct. Once Thai bank support comes online, you will be able to deposit money from your Thai bank account, but you will not be able to withdraw it. If you link a US bank account to your Thai PayPal account, you may withdraw fund to the US bank account.

how does a US bank related to my Thai Bank, pretent i do have a US bank how would i withraw money, that mean my Thai bank have to link with my US bank to withraw the money.

After setting up a PayPal account, you can add as many additional bank accounts as you like. Once again, in order to withdraw funds from a PayPal account with a Thai bank as the primary bank account, you will need to add a US bank account to your PayPal account.

I'm living in Thailand, but as far as PayPal is concerned, I'm living in the US and am currently in thailand on extended business. I faxed a few documents to them. And I can use my US PayPal account from my Thai IP address no problem whatsoever. If you don't have an address in the country you fled from (where your PayPal account is) then just ask a friend if you can borrow his.

I withdraw PayPal funds to US bank account and then use ATM card to get the money here.

Guest chingy

when the money from a Thai Bank transfer to the US bank, so that you can witdraw the money from your US account, they will charge you transfering fee (estimated) for every US$100-500 they will charge you US$20 fee, taking out the money from paypal in thailand is still a problem, for paypal don't care that you transfer money around as long as they don't have to pay anything, you are the one that foot the bill

On the PayPal website. Login to your account, then click the "Policy Updates" link.
I meant the part of adding a Thai bankaccount. Are you sure? If I can add a Thai bank account what's the reason for the below?
After setting up a PayPal account, you can add as many additional bank accounts as you like. Once again, in order to withdraw funds from a PayPal account with a Thai bank as the primary bank account, you will need to add a US bank account to your PayPal account.

Why would I have to use a US account? I don't live in the US and never had a US bank account.

To open a US Bank Account you must have nothing more than an address and a Social Security Number. They do not care if you are from Mars.

Yes this will indeed be a good thing for the farang in Thailand and those that can figure how to open a stateside banking aco#####.

Keep in mind that Bank of Bangkok has a branch in NYC and that might be available to Thais. It is worth asking.

What can you say... 10 different answers... For the same question..

Sent: den 14 maj 2004 04:48

To: ******

Subject: Re: Restricted :auto-bp

Dear **** ****,

Your account has been permanently closed due to violations of our User

Agreement. At this time we do not offer service to residents of

Thailand.

Check this one first...

www.nopaypal.com

Then tell me if you still want to do business with Paypal.

/Mike

Saw that site a long time ago along with www.paypalsucks.com, however, I still have money on my Paypal account and want to get them out of there, but can't as I moved to Thailand and they don't allow me to access my account...

I decided to try Moneybookers instead as they seems to have reasonable prices.

I foresee problems! Not unusual where PP is concerned. Will the brave person who accesses his US paypal account from a Thai IP address after June 4 please let us know whether the account gets frozen?