Sink Plumbing

ubonrthai

How do I attach this metal pipe to the pvc sticking out of the wall? It’s a sink drain. Everyone at hardware stores says to “stick it in and silicone”...... I’ve looked at all kinds of combinations of PVC parts but can’t figure out how to seal it where the metal pipe enters.

IMG_7988.thumb.JPG.2a8cfa285357a16c268bb5723608e130.JPG

Rubber Waste pipe inserts are 100% available in Buriram at a family owned Hardware store called Ruangsangthai. You can ask this woman in German or English languages and she will show you the item which sells for less than 70 baht.  She is familiar with German home building standards.  15cm wide trowels for AAC blocks to build a house are another item she provided. Other stores said "no have in thailand", but this woman understand the need if you were building with 15cm wide autoclaved Q Con wall blocks. 

German Thai English Understood and spoken at Ruangsangthai in Buriram.jpg

45 baht is the price I paid in Buriram for rubber connectors that work with VRH, Cotto, American Standard, Teka sink waste pipes at my home in Isaan. I use these connectors in plumbing for bathrooms and kitchens in Thailand. This can not be a hard item to find if a local family owned hardware store has this. The woman in the photo  speaks and understands English and Thai who showed me this on Sunday afternoon.  Silicone might be a sensible solution for most folks as there are many ways in Thailand to solve home building challenges. One should never pass judgement on how a person selects to build a house in Thailand as long as the roof does not leak. 

Buriram Rubber Pipe connection sink waste pipe.jpg

Buriram Isaan Rubber Sink Waste pipe Connector.jpg

As with many things here.

Task A is realising that these things exist and are available here.

Task B is convincing the locals that they exist.

Task C is actually finding them.

This type of thread is vital for The Cause.