Southern China Airlines from USA - any reviews

oldcarguy

Hi

it seems that Southern China airlines has some pretty cheap prices from the USA to China and then BKK ?

But what is the Airline and service like ?

Mostly interested in how they treat you if there is a problem like delayed/ canceled flights , 

if they are real tight on luggage weight etc 

I  normally just get on the plane and try to sleep ,  earplugs , eye mask and a big pillow :)  and ZZZZZZs

thanks for your reviews

've flown them a couple of times from Vancouver through Guangzhou to BKK.  Any Chinese airline seems the same, you are treated to conditions somewhere between a cattle truck and an AirAsia flight.  It certainly doesn t compare to Air Canada, JAL or Korean Airlines.  That said their tickets are 1/2 to 2/3  the price of a more comfortable 29 hours with layover flight.  To me the ride to and from Asia from N/A  is misery followed by a day of  serious jet lag and a more pleasant flight is not worth the money

• 2 weeks later...

I did China Southern once, for exactly the reason that the price was really really attractive. The flight from Guangzhou to BKK was nearly 3 hours late, which meant we were never going to make onward connections. So they moved us to a TG flight to Guangzhou. Bags were apparently all moved and rechecked.
Arrived at Guangzhou, and the flight to Los Angeles was also delayed, nearly 4 hours. OK I thought not so bad at least it ensures the bags all get on the flight.
When we got to LAX, there were 6 of us who had been on the flight from BKK, no bags. I was flying on to Boston, took them 8 days to find and get my bag to me.
As for the flight itself, it was fine a brand new A380, so so was OK. Service and food OK, nothing to write home about, but I was figure it's a few hours of my life, so who really cares.

Now I should have known better about any flight that connects in mainland China, I lived there for many years and flight delays are endemic, generally due to the fact that ATC is in the hands of the military

CS reviews used to be consistently bad but in recent years, have improved.  Common thread seems to be when (main land) ground services has to adapt to delays or any blip outside "normal", that when it can all go off the rails. 

I've been threatening to try them for a while.  For my flight to LAX next week, I got further this time than ever before, having selected the flights online and was about to click to the payment phase but...... just couldn't do it.  Chickened out and booked with Cathay Pacific again.  :laugh:

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I did China Southern once, for exactly the reason that the price was really really attractive. The flight from Guangzhou to BKK was nearly 3 hours late, which meant we were never going to make onward connections. So they moved us to a TG flight to Guangzhou. Bags were apparently all moved and rechecked.
Arrived at Guangzhou, and the flight to Los Angeles was also delayed, nearly 4 hours. OK I thought not so bad at least it ensures the bags all get on the flight.
When we got to LAX, there were 6 of us who had been on the flight from BKK, no bags. I was flying on to Boston, took them 8 days to find and get my bag to me.
As for the flight itself, it was fine a brand new A380, so so was OK. Service and food OK, nothing to write home about, but I was figure it's a few hours of my life, so who really cares.

Now I should have known better about any flight that connects in mainland China, I lived there for many years and flight delays are endemic, generally due to the fact that ATC is in the hands of the military

" The flight from Guangzhou to BKK was nearly 3 hours late, which meant we were never going to make onward connections"

Almost the very same thing happened to me except my delayed flight was from Shanghai to Guangzhou which was 4 hours late and so I missed the onward flight to Bangkok also on CSA.

I have flown a lot on various airlines but I’ve never had such a bad experience as with this airline.

Firstly most of this 4 hours was spent on the aircraft at the gate and no one ever explained what had happened. No apologies nothing.

The next flight to Bangkok wasn’t until 9:30 AM the next morning but even more amazingly I even had to put up a strong fight just for them to agree to accommodate me at their expense   involving supervisors and what seemed like an army of people simply to make this decision.

When they agreed they took me to a hotel in  Guangzhou which had to be one of the grottiest hotels I’ve ever stayed in - a filthy disgusting fleapit.

In my book this airline is nothing more than an overrated cut-price airline which I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole ever again.

^ Yup, experiences like these is why I continue to avoid them, even with the improvement in reviews over time. 

Another odd thing I've read several times in CS reviews is, apparently, a Chinese Gov regulation prohibiting the use of phones and tables on board - the entire flight, not just T/O and landing.  My wife likes to use her tablet on long hauls, so that's another tick in the "avoid" column for me. 

I've also seen mention that, after the doors shut, some cheeky pax in Economy (read: Chinese nationals) are known to  upgrade themselves into any open business class seat,  then pick their nose, cough and fart for 12+ hours if an FA doesn't muster the courage to confront them.  Reminded me of flying on some Middle East/Gulf airlines, in particular where cabin crew are imported labor, and hesitant to get into a confrontation with an indignant, blustering Arab National. 

For me, saving a couple hundred bucks flying with CS isn't worth the potential drama and aggro, or getting stuck in some Guangzhou shit hole.  Yeah, that's right!  I said it!  "Shit Hole!".   :laugh:

Archived