Russian tourists rescued in Pattaya bay as boat develops engine trouble

webfact

Russian tourists rescued in Pattaya bay as boat develops engine trouble

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

More than 100 Russian tourists were rescued from a stricken pleasure boat in Pattaya bay after it developed engine trouble yesterday.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Piyapong Ensarn of the local tourist police said that 114 people were on the boat when calls were received on the 1155 hotline that they were in trouble.

Sophon reported on Facebook that the double deck boat is run for pleasure cruises by Pattaya Bay Cruise Co Ltd.

All the tourists were brought back to shore on speedboats.

Mechanics were looking into the engine trouble on the boat.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-09

14 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I believe it's Bureau Veritas. Never heard of an emergency engine though. Although an emergency generator is standard.

Point taken. I used engine for the non-technical....what drives the e-gen? Anyhow I would have thought that a commercial vessel with capacity of over 100 passengers would/should have one? 

Emergency generator is normally driven by a diesel engine and located on the upper deck. It's purpose is to supply power to emergency equipment such as lights, communications, fire and bilge pumps, steering pumps etc. in the event of failure of ships service generators or main switchboard.

In my experience on passenger ships there were always multiple propulsion engines so an engine failure would not leave you dead in the water.

However, there are some common systems that could cause propulsion failure regardless.

When I travel on ferries, I always try and get down to the engine room to look around (something that is rarely possible in the western world). Then I go and sit outside on the aft deck so I can make a quick escape in the likely event of a catastrophe.