Brand-new PX125 two-stroke scooters for sale at Vespa

Issanman

Vespa is still selling brand-new 2-stroke engine PX125 scooters.

The PX125 comes with a 4-speed manual transmission, has air-cooling, and is not fuel-injected. 

It does have a front disk brake but no ABS. It comes in white, red, or black for 209,000 ฿aht.

PX125white.jpg.c773d655cb3f464d8336ad15da9cf385.jpg

They also offer a limited edition touring model for 224,900 ฿aht.

5a55c8b57af0e_PX125touring.jpg.2bc2bfb5c30b2a2cbba4fc7b579c2d3f.jpg

It is hard to believe that these are still being sold in 2018. But I saw one recently at the Vespa showroom in Udon Thani across from UD Town.

I myself do not intend to buy one, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that we still have the choice.

Personally I don't see the appeal of these bikes, not at 210k THB...

A lot less power than a Honda Click (2.5 HP and 2 Nm less), no underseat storage (but some smaller front pocket thingy), probably more hassle to maintain. Can't imagine it handling all too great with the tiny wheels either. It basically just got nostalgia/style going for it. But at 4x the price, drum brake and no ABS? Meh, not worth it imho. Seems like a product looking for suckers :)

Looks like they are Euro 3 so maybe just selling off the remaining stock that can't be sold in EU anymore? Not sure how much longer this thing will be in production as more and more countries tighten their regulations and require things like ABS. It will have to either evolve at some point or go the way of the Dodo...

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/vespa_px_125_2017.php

It's perfect for Big C's parking lot, other than that just nostalgia, it looks like if a big farang sit on it and go over a big whole in the road it might break from the middle..... lol  (and a touring version as well.... pulling our legs, yeah, take that for Lao, Vietnam round trip....lol)

Edited by Agusts

41 minutes ago, johng said:

A 125 two stroke would almost certainly produce more power than a Honda Click...but yes the price is silly !!!

That's what I thought at first as well! That would actually be a valid argument in favor of it. A 125cc two stroke should be a little fun machine. But no, it has about 20% less power (87km/h top speed) than a four stroke Click... it literally is worse in every single way other than style/brand.

That's why I said it's a product for suckers. It's probably very cheap and easy to manufacture, zero R&D costs and as long as they can find a few people willing to pay stupidly high prices and they can make a profit they'll keep it on the market. Ignoring the design and brand, it wouldn't be able to compete on the market.

I think if you analyse a Vespa in terms of written data you will never understand. I bought my Vespa GTS125 last year in the UK a few months after I bought a Filano125 here at 1/3rd the price, the Vespa is worth every extra penny.

I was never into bikes/scooters as a young man, so the nostalgia doesn't apply, it must be the Italian or even the European thing.

I see a lot of Vespas and the like in Europe including these new 2 strokes, they all look and sound great, to me the Jap stuff is anonymous A to B kit.