Kawin first Thai keeper to land Europe move

webfact

Kawin first Thai keeper to land Europe move

By Lerpong Amsangiam 
The Nation

90bed2b81cc59e754a3ebceb4f4ef446-sld.jpe

File photo : Kawin

National goalkeeper Kawin Thamsatchanan will join OH Leuven as the team’s highest-paid player, chairman of the second-tier Belgian club, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprapha, said yesterday.

The 26-year-old SCG Muangthong United captain will be the first Thai goalkeeper ever to play professional football in Europe. Aiyawatt, son of Vichai, chairman of King Power International Group which owns the Belgian team, said Kawin had set a record as the most expensive Thai international to play in Europe.

The OHL owner, however, did not disclose the fee for the five-year deal, which was expected to exceed Bt50 million.

“We have observed Kawin for quite some time and we are confident he is the right man,” said Aiyawatt, who is also the vice chairman of English Premier League team Leicester City.

Kawin’s move to OHL is seen as the first step towards having a Thai play in the EPL, which has been dream of the King Power heir.

“It all depends on him. If he shows potential, anything can happen,” Aiyawatt said. “But, when I buy a player, it is primarily aimed at making the team better,” he added.

Kawin, who has represented Thailand in 95 matches, will wear jersey No 16 for his new team by the end of January.

“I never thought it would happen. I’m so happy to be exposed to a new horizon and meet new challenges. It’s a big step in my life to pursue my dream,” Kawin said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30335945

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-11

He's gone because the owner is the son of King Power. This guy is from a top team and is a top player in Thailand but he's moving to the second tier in Belgium, not exactly the elite of European football. I've watched a fair bit of Thai league football it's great to be able have a beer in the stands, and I'd say the best players I've seen would struggle to hold down a place in league one. EPL is a long long long way away but good luck to King Power. 

Edited by ZeVonderBearz

13 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

He's gone because the owner is the son of King Power. This guy is from a top team and is a top player in Thailand but he's moving to the second tier in Belgium, not exactly the elite of European football. I've watched a fair bit of Thai league football it's great to be able have a beer in the stands, and I'd say the best players I've seen would struggle to hold down a place in league one. EPL is a long long long way away but good luck to King Power. 

Who cares what tier he's moving to - he is moving UP in his career which is what most of us strive for, Hell, even Chumphon FC (A 2nd tier Thai team) has players from Ivory Coast, because compared to where they come from, the money is much better. 

44 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Who cares what tier he's moving to - he is moving UP in his career which is what most of us strive for, Hell, even Chumphon FC (A 2nd tier Thai team) has players from Ivory Coast, because compared to where they come from, the money is much better. 

He is moving to Europe. He will no longer be playing in a tier of football. God I hate that word. 

And as an EX Mong Tong, lets hope he lets in a hat full of goals every game. 

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

But would he have gotten this place if his father would not have owned the club?

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

Just dubious about the move. I can't imagine it's one that would've been sanctioned had the owner not been a Thai. 

34 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Just dubious about the move. I can't imagine it's one that would've been sanctioned had the owner not been a Thai. 

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, he's a decent enough GK for that club.

"I can't imagine it's one that would've been sanctioned had the owner not been a Thai." 

Why? Maybe football clubs look at skills rather than nationality or skin tone - I wonder how many African or South American players would be playing in Europe if the requirement to get in was a fellow countryman's ownership of a club.:saai: Does hiring people from your country of birth mean that you're practising some form of nepotism? I've hired people from the UK, the US, Canada and "shock horror" from South Africa as well - the South African wasn't qualified and would cause me to lose money, but hey, he was South African after all. Oh wait, that's not how it went down. :coffee1:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The 26-year-old SCG Muangthong United captain will be the first Thai goalkeeper ever to play professional football in Europe. Aiyawatt, son of Vichai, chairman of King Power International Group which owns the Belgian team

Ah huh...

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, he's a decent enough GK for that club.

"I can't imagine it's one that would've been sanctioned had the owner not been a Thai." 

Why? Maybe football clubs look at skills rather than nationality or skin tone - I wonder how many African or South American players would be playing in Europe if the requirement to get in was a fellow countryman's ownership of a club.:saai: Does hiring people from your country of birth mean that you're practising some form of nepotism? I've hired people from the UK, the US, Canada and "shock horror" from South Africa as well - the South African wasn't qualified and would cause me to lose money, but hey, he was South African after all. Oh wait, that's not how it went down. :coffee1:

Maybe he is good enough, only seen him play the once, thailand v Kenya, and he kept a clean sheet. 

I've nothing against the player at all just wondering if it would happen if the owners weren't Thai. No idea why you're bringing skin colour into it.