Earthquake CM

jonwilly

We have 3 cats.....One or a couple of them started low tone howl/growling just before it hit....

I couldn't sleep & thought initially my wife was kicking in her sleep but the bed was shifting back & forth.....

No noise or rattles around the house......Grew up in CA & was 4 miles away from the Loma Prieta epicenter so this was pretty easy......

With all the brick & mortar construction & lack of steel girder tall construction + high rise water tanks & snap-able power poles lining the streets next to termite weakened trees about - Thailand doesn't need a major earthquake....It would be devastating.....

I felt it in Bangkok in my condo on the 23rd floor just before 1:30am. My bathroom door moved and made a creaking sound and went out to the dining room and saw the crystals on the overhead light moving. Felt it slightly but did goggle it a few minutes later and it said a 6.0 in Myanmar that seems about 800k from BKK!

Edited by alex8912

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

With all the brick & mortar construction & lack of steel girder tall construction + high rise water tanks & snap-able power poles lining the streets next to termite weakened trees about - Thailand doesn't need a major earthquake....It would be devastating.....

Yep....

While living in Chiang Mai that is the one thing I thought about often when watching buildings going up.

We were in a condo on the 6th floor during the last one that was centered near Chiang Rai (2014 I think?) & feeling that condo sway was not fun :smile:

I experinced 2 earthquakes while working in the Philippines.Both in the Baguio area up in Northern Luzon .

I dont remember the magnitude figs but they were big and quite a loss of life ensued as buildings collapsed or slid down the mountain sides.

It was a very scary expereince as obviously you dont know, at the time, just how long it will last.

The feeling ,both times, it was late at night and I was in bed. I can only relate it to being on  a water bed that refuses to stop swaying giving one a feeling of disorientation

Pictures fell down from the walls, ceilings cracked,dogs howled.Power and water went out for 24 hrs

We had another minor tremor some years back in CM which was felt at our place in Hang Dong  but not this time