Mae Hong Son Loop options

AllanB

We are in Lamphun at present ready for another go at the loop and wondered what options there are for the second half after MHS?

We are setting off tomorrow morning for Pai and then heading to MHS, also some interesting stuff to see en-route. Places to stay on the second half?

Cheers

9297B20A-D2DF-4BB7-AF53-510B4566DB49.jpeg

85FFA8B2-49FF-49CD-87E9-3F2FD03ABC6E.jpeg

Edited by AllanB

You like Lamphun then? Back at the Thoen Thong?

Last month I was in Mae Sariang. Several guesthouses on the river. Took a trip (in the truck) out to the Sarawin River. Take the 1194 just south of Mae Sariang. You can take a boat trip up the river, 600B/hour or make a day of it for about 1500B. It's very isolated, mix of people in the village/town on the river, some Rohingya, some Thai, some Burmese, some hill tribe, some military.

And if you're stopping in Lamphun on the way back, send me a PM. There's a place to have a drink just down from the Thoen Thong and I'd like to have a look at your CRF.

19 hours ago, naboo said:

You like Lamphun then? Back at the Thoen Thong?

Last month I was in Mae Sariang. Several guesthouses on the river. Took a trip (in the truck) out to the Sarawin River. Take the 1194 just south of Mae Sariang. You can take a boat trip up the river, 600B/hour or make a day of it for about 1500B. It's very isolated, mix of people in the village/town on the river, some Rohingya, some Thai, some Burmese, some hill tribe, some military.

And if you're stopping in Lamphun on the way back, send me a PM. There's a place to have a drink just down from the Thoen Thong and I'd like to have a look at your CRF.

Can't find Khum Yum on the map but will be heading down the 108 so will look out for it.

Mae Sariang may work out for us and yes we will be staying in Lamphun on the way back, our truck is parked at the hotel.

We stayed at this hotel last time when we took the Filano, much easier to find than one in CM and it;s on the loop anyway. Finding anywhere in CM is a nightmare for a newcomer, we have been there 3 times and still got lost this time too, only cost us about 20 minutes this time so improving.. 

Cheers

You will want to take the 1263 just before Khun Yuam. 1263 to Mae Chaem from Mae Chaem my phone map doesn't show road number east which will take you to Doi Inthanon. Cannot find my real maps to give you the road number. Have a good trip which ever way you go

8 minutes ago, georgy said:
7 hours ago, chrissables said:
Go up Baan Microwave, great views, not many people know it.

I guess your spellchecker came into action. can you please verify the name?

No not his spell check, he is correct.

I have been bahn microwave village, fantastic views.

6 minutes ago, georgy said:

Amazing name :-)
I tried to find it on maps, however without success. Would you please share the location?

Microwave village approx 30 kilometers south of Mae Hong Son on 108 turn left , 10 kilometers you will come to microwave village.

1 hour ago, georgy said:

Amazing name :-)
I tried to find it on maps, however without success. Would you please share the location?

If you can get hold of a GT Rider Mae Hong Son loop map, it is marked on it, other maps, even google not so.

Ride South from MHS about 30km and take a left, it is actually sign posted to Baan Microwave. When you get to the very top you can continue past the microwave dishes on a rough track to see the best views, well worth the visit.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32Marked on the map Meo Microwave (very steep)

Picture 300.jpg

17858369_1472101492824127_1114922727_o.jpg

Edited by chrissables

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Good map mate, look north a bit you will see Nong Kao village, i lived there for 15 months 5 years ago,   the scenery was fantastic.

I can't see it on my map and google does not have it. I have ridden all around there though, great fun!

9 minutes ago, georgy said:

I will...

your kind support is appreciated for my next tour in north

Nong Khao is on the schedule too

When you go to Nong Khao,tell the kids at the school and Am (teacher) Colin says hello.

You cant miss the school, it is at the side of the road, only large building in the village.

Edited by colinneil

We made it from Pai to Mae Sariang today, the road down the 108 from MHS is quite a fast road, saw a procession of around 50 Porsches on their way MHS. A couple of the <deleted> were on the wrong side of the road.

With only 173km back to the truck in Lamphun we will try to fit that boat ride in tomorrow.

By the way they are digging the main road up out of Pai, I did think about riding it on our CRF, but my mate and his missus are on a Forza. Probably would have fallen off anyway and buggame it was cold this morning.

I can't see it on my map and google does not have it. I have ridden all around there though, great fun!

It took me quite a while to locate it on maps. It's marked, but written in Thai only.

All suggested routes are in the GPS already. Can't wait to go riding...

Thank you all for your recommendations!

Back in Khon Kaen now, my mate and his missus had already seen that stuff, didn't want to see it again. So 3 days on the loop, reflecting on the trip and our bike...

Comfort

Last night couldn't be bothered to unload the bike so took the Filano to snooker and couldn't believe how bumpy the ride was. Just done 3 days, around 450km on some good, some bad roads, hit a few small potholes, some roads being dug up for resurfacing and didn't notice anything. So the CRF250 has really good suspension for long trips. The home made seat cover did it's job even after a longish stint of riding, a good system. My old arms and legs were fine too even on heavy braking on the downhill hairpins with the missus on the back.

Handling

This was never doing to be a strong point, but once into the groove it handled pretty good, bearing in mind I always ride at 75% max. Even the tyres which are a major complaint, I found good.

Engine and gearbox

The gearbox was the usual peach, hit a couple of neutrals pussyfooting into 1st on a couple of hairpins, but all my fault and easily remedied, so not an issue. The engine still the disappointment on any slight gradient forget about anything under 5000rpm and approaching 9000rpm thought the engine would go bang it was so rough. I am now thinking now about a new fuel controller, remapping, whatever you call it.

On the open roads sat on 80/90kph very comfortably, in that 5-6000rpm sweet spot. On the hills there is, understandably, a lot of gearchange work to do with 2 and luggage.

Met a German guy on a 250motard and he was well pleased.

Not sure we will do the loop again, a bit "been there done that", but very enjoyable, perfect weather. Met some Malaysian guys who were friendly, 2 on 1000cc bikes, one on a 150 all mates and happy travelling together. Dave and I had very different bikes a CRF250 and a Forza, but it don't matter.  Anyway thinking about a Singapore trip next...maybe...just me and MrsB?