Hundreds of police in Thailand block anti-junta march

rooster59

20 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You seem to be so smart, but you aren't. Have you ever had a chat with young people and listened to their thoughts?

Calling me a drama queen just shows how much you know about Thailand and its problems. Let me guess, you do not live here, right? 

He doesn't.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, toughlove said:

You guys are really calling thais cowards. Just about every brutal regime that was toppled globally the army was called in and the killing began

Did those millions of protesters run away? Absolutely not.

I guess you guys are to heavily vested in the democracy push that you have no choice but to call them cowards because it sure beats admitting they are content... But the embarrassing number of protesters today certainly confirmed it.

That is today.  The junta has lost quite a bit of favor.  Prem confirmed it.  Do you think the junta could handle the loss of face the Hong Kong government felt when youngsters took to the streets ?   Hard to say what is going to happen.  Today Thailand may have peace at the end of a gun, but tomorrow could be different.   Thailand is rudderless.  It has no idea what it wants to be.  It uses of encouraging, yet to be defined words and phrases like reform, reconciliation and Thai style democracy.  If you are a civil servant, life is great.  Not having some elected government around means you will not be scrutinized.  My bets are in Vietnam anyway.

51 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Looks like we may re-visit 1976 and 1992 if this junta continue to ignore the students and activists, 

1976 and 1992 were very different contexts and the current situation is much more like 1992. I don't think the junta will have too much difficulty if they just have to ignore some students and activists. They are in real trouble if the general populace and crucially a large proportion of the Bangkok middle class actively turns against them, which is what happened in 1992. And the signs may be starting to appear.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

44 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Yes he would be my choice:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulak_Sivaraksa

Have seen him several years ago on "Hardtalk". Maybe it is available on YouTube 

While I'm sure he would be supportive, it's long past his time. He influenced the student movement in the 1970s and I'm sure he would feel they are the ones, together with the younger generation that should be leading now. He was also extremely critical of Thaksin and I don't think he'd find any support from those in that camp. 

1 hour ago, toughlove said:

I called you a drama queen for speculating on something that hasn't happened. " heads crushed" are powerful words and should not be thrown around just to back up your argument.No way you are teacher with that mindset !

Have you ever read about Thailand's past? Are you really aware what could happen with the article 44 and a guy who's abusing the people of this country?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27419558

And please watch this one:  My apologies for the bad quality of the film....

Edited by jenny2017

22 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

1976 and 1992 were very different contexts and the current situation is much more like 1992. I don't think the junta will have too much difficulty if they just have to ignore some students and activists. They are in real trouble if the general populace and crucially a large proportion of the Bangkok middle class actively turns against them, which is what happened in 1992. And the signs may be starting to appear.

There are elements of ‘76 in play. The sudden appearance of the Red Gaur could repeat. Agree with you that more like ‘92 and the role of Bankokians in that popular uprising. Wouldn’t like to see that happen and innocent lives lost. Hope he see the risks of delaying election and heed those warning signs. Better he step down and appoint an interim civilian PM till the election. I honestly think he may be pressured to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There are elements of ‘76 in play. The sudden appearance of the Red Gaur could repeat. Agree with you that more like ‘92 and the role of Bankokians in that popular uprising. Wouldn’t like to see that happen and innocent lives lost. Hope he see the risks of delaying election and heed those warning signs. Better he step down and appoint an interim civilian PM till the election. I honestly think he may be pressured to do that. 

Yes. I can see that. Though whether he would do the right thing ...

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

But hopefully not an "influenced election", exactly what they were warning others of. The soldiers wanna stay in power, too many goods are ordered and not yet fully paid. And every minute there's a new soldier who joins in. It's worse than any known disease on this planet. 

Critics say the article( 44) is harsher than martial law. Key ally, the United States, has warned that the measures would do little to loosen the military's grip on power. UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein has also said the decision to lift martial law "leaves the door wide open to serious violations of fundamental human rights" and "annihilates freedom of expression".  

Khemthong Tonsakulrungruang of Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University said: "Section 44 is actually worse (than martial law)" as it allows Gen Prayut to execute key decisions without the oversight of a military court.

"When they ask for the martial law to be lifted, what the public is really asking for is the return of basic rights and liberties to Thais. Prayut fails to understand that," he said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/what-you-need-to-know-about-article-44-of-thailands-interim-constitution

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I don't know any Thai that doesn't want him dead.

But they aren't going to say that in public and risk death or disappearance. 

But in any vote the Shins will win again, which is why there won't be any vote.

You don't know many thais then

34 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

With respect lads..enjoy your life here as best you can..a big reason I left the UK was the corrupt undemocratic eu.
When all said and done..western democracy is a joke as the globalist multi-nationalists run the show.
You are only here for a short time..enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Any idea what system to replace democracy 

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Small world, isn't it!      But this is Planet Thailand.

You are not wrong I had never realised before but it would explain many things, Thailand in not a country on earth, it is the Planet Thailand!:thumbsup:

To posters such as Steven 100 and others who are afraid of the junta you have my sympathy and understanding. I used to toe the party line also for some of my life in the doubtful cause of stabilty.  However Thailand has so much stability now it would even choke a large horse But be informed that no country progresses in an atmosphere of fear and at the end of the day blood will need to be spilled again for a sustainable regime change to occur. Elections will not solve it for elections will not be held until the junta can guarantee the outcome. Now is the time for bravery not cowardice.  

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

"We want to tell the junta that you have taken Thailand back a long way. The people in the agriculture ministry are all generals. There are just generals!" said one protest leader.

"Let's hold hands! We are friends!" he said, appealing to around 200 protestors gathered at the Thammasat University in Rangsit, north of Bangkok.

It hurts a lot to read this. Most of my M. 5 high school students would have been part of the anti junta march. Unfortunately, are they too young to join in, but they're not stupid. They are so fed up with the system that it's really time for a change. 

The biggest mistake a government can make is not to listen to the next generation. Nobody wants to see/hear the weekly soap speeches, and that includes many/most foreigners. Except one, which is a real miracle that a foreigner can be on the side of a guy who brings Thailand ten steps back when it's trying to go one step forward. 

P.S. When will the first tanks be used to drive over students' heads who just wanted to express their feelings? 

Going backwards?  Everything seems to be powering ahead around these parts.... New hospital.... Highway widening... A lot of private building happening.  Haven't seen this much action in a long time. Everyone seems to be doing OK. 

Tanks and students heads.... You gotta be joking. 

I think some posters are itching for violence for some inexplicable reason.

Bit like the union organisers who get the workers to fight the company and go on strike while the organiser still gets paid.  You do the fighting but I'll pass the bullets.  I have your back. Yeah right. 

Edited by tryasimight

9 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Going backwards?  Everything seems to be powering ahead around these parts.... New hospital.... Highway widening... A lot of private building happening.  Haven't seen this much action in a long time. Everyone seems to be doing OK. 

Tanks and students heads.... You gotta be joking. 

I think some posters are itching for violence for some inexplicable reason

If you wish to see infrastructure powering ahead, go to the Peoples Republic of China, but it would be a very brave man who would state that the millions  folk doing the hard yards at the coal face enjoy any form of freedom 

37 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Because steven100 must be one of them who constantly lie about the the truth that uneducated people buy anything as the truth. But not the smart ones. 

And the smart ones are hopefully the ones who win. No more Pol Pots, Hitlers and Co. Peace, a PM who's for the people and not covering his corrupt brother while he's constantly telling others how bad corruption really is.

I prefer watch lovers to liars. 

I assume you were referring to Yingluck?