Unannounced overhead speed cameras on Highway 24 near Prasat Surin

SantiSuk

Just a heads up for Lower Isaanites travelling the new four lane bit of Highway 24 that there are now speed cameras. As usual the ticket I got (dated mid Dec for ThB 500 for doing 125kph on the 90 limit highway) is not very clear about where exactly, but I reckon probably on the new bit between Prasat and Prakonchai (in the closest half to Prakonchai, since the ticket says "Highway 24 Prasat, Surin").

Always thought that those type of cameras were limited to Saraburi province on Highway 2 on the Highway 24/2/1 journey into BKK and that otherwise one is relatively safe form penalty in areas where the divided highway has no trees on the central reservation (lack of stuff in the middle provides the opportunity for oncoming traffic to warn about police speed traps). Looks like the journey to Bangkok, having got faster with widened roads in Buriram/Surin is about to get slower again! I make no observations about the rights and wrongs of speed limits and unannounced speed cameras. It is what it is, though somehow in the UK the system now seems to work that police have to prove there is special risk to establish speed cameras or traps and have to put up warning signs in the general area.

Cue the indignant moral minority (or is it majority) with yer som nam na comments! Misdirected - I don't feel aggrieved, will probably get caught again but will probably reduce to 110ish. I do not speed in unsafe traffic or conditions - can't say never but I do think about my driving and treat it as a life skill. Also have had no accident - above 5kph backwards (ie reversing in a car park) - in nearly 50 years of driving. But if the policy here is 90 and unannounced cameras are accepted in Thailand then fine by me. Only thing I would say is that it's another thing that favours the monied classes over the average Thai* - the amount is no big deal for me and my ilk, which is not how things should be in an ideal world! 

* Not an issue confined to Thailand of course.

The expansion of Highway 24 to four lanes is to welcomed by me for one since it now avoids the endless squirt overtaking of heavy trucks that was necessary on the previous two lane stretch. Just settle on a 100 kph cruise and don't treat it as an expressway. If you are retired then you've nowhere to go in a hurry!

I drove from prackonchi to prasat last week, there were cameras on poles outside the highway police building just before prasat. It is the first time I have seen them, it makes me wonder, are they working all of the time and at what speed do they issue a ticket (95/100+).

I can not remember how fast I was driving, generally I tend to sit around 100 kph on a duel carriageway. But  I do remember as I looked at the cameras plenty of cars were flying past me. Santisuk you will not be alone in receiving a ticket.

Yesterday I drove to Buriram the police were stooping cars checking licences and tax. For the first time they also asked me to press the brake so they could check the lights. The car in front of me had a light out and was being ticketed.

20 hours ago, 6thST said:

So why are telling this to the crazy Thailand drivers....ITS A WAR OUT THERE!!!

Ever seen the standard of driving in Turkey, Iran or India ... just to name a few

[ex wanabee hippy overland to India driver!]

There's camera's at Thongmon police checkpoint at Ban La Lom on highway 24, don't know if they are speed cameras as I don't speed though there, it's the first major left hand bend going towards Prasat once you have entered Surin province if you don't know Ban La lom. (just before Nikhom police checkpoint) GPS location 14°36'33.8"N 103°19'26.5"E

The other area on highway 24 where they use hand held speed camera is Ban Nong Ama near the Highway police station.

Archived