Election delay inevitable as NLA passes MPs bill

webfact

Election delay inevitable as NLA passes MPs bill

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation

8e05c39b5d1394651a953e26df0f4f53.jpeg

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) late on Thursday passed the MPs election bill with a clause that delays it coming into effect for 90 days after its promulgation.

The members voted 213 to zero with four abstentions.

The bill was passed after almost 14 hours of deliberations on Thursday.

In the second reading of the bill, the stipulation deferring its enforcement by three months after the law is published in the Royal Gazette was passed with 196 votes for, 12 against, and 14 abstentions.

As a result of the new law, the next election, tentatively scheduled for November this year, could now be delayed until February next year.

The majority of the law vetting committee members reasoned that political parties needed the additional time to make changes in accordance with the new regulations. For instance, they would need to hold primary elections. Also, new members would not be eligible to contest in the election unless their membership was at least 90 days old, the legislators argued.

Some NLA members proposed an even longer postponement – by 150 to 180 days.

The lawmakers also spent considerable time debating punishment for those failing to exercise their voting rights, as well as the appropriateness of using entertainment in election campaigns.

The law vetting committee had proposed that voters who did not exercise their franchise should be disqualified from serving in some areas of the government sector such as in Parliament.

The legislators, however, disagreed, saying the punishment was disproportionate and deprived people of their rights. Not voting was not necessarily a lack of interest in politics but could be a way of expressing discontent, they argued.

The NLA eventually voted to only take away their right to appoint political officials and heads of local administration offices.

The NLA also voted to allow entertainment or recreational activities during election campaigns, but capped the spending on such activities at 20 per cent of the total campaign budget.

The charter drafters had sought a ban on entertainment activities in election campaigns, arguing it could be used for vote-buying and corruption.

Other legislators viewed it as an attraction to draw people to take part in political activities.

Following the passage of the bill, it would now be sent to the Election Commission and the Constitution Drafting Commission for review. After getting their nod, it would be sent to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to seek royal endorsement.

If the two commissions disagreed, a joint committee would be set up to revise the law.

The NLA is also deliberating the organic bill on the composition of the Senate today. It was the last one of the 10 organic laws.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337200

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-26

Thai vote faces delay after lawmakers amend election law

By Pracha Hariraksapitak and Aukkarapon Niyomyat

2018-01-25T143831Z_1_LYNXMPEE0O151_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-POLITICS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam speaks during a news conference in Bangkok July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A general election in Thailand scheduled to take place this year will be delayed possibly until early 2019, the country's deputy prime minister said, after military-appointed lawmakers voted to change an election law on Thursday.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has said a general election would take place in November 2018. The date has been postponed several times since the military took power in a 2014 coup.

The National Legislative Assembly, Thailand's parliamentary body, voted to postpone enforcement of an election bill by three months to give political parties time to prepare for the vote.

The bill is one of four needed to hold a general election, which the constitution mandates be held within 150 days after all necessary electoral laws take effect. Delayed enforcement of one of these laws would push back the election.

"Within 150 days after the law's enforcement in September means the election will fall on January or February 2019," Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam told reporters on Thursday, providing there are no further setbacks.

Wissanu said the government would only be able to determine when the election can take place once the bill is adopted in June.

Political parties said Thursday's vote was a ploy by the ruling junta to hold on to power.

The junta has not yet lifted a ban on political campaigning, although last month it issued an order that allows parties to conduct some preparation ahead of the poll.

The Puea Thai Party, whose government the army ousted in 2014, said that the amendment was a tactic by the junta to tighten its grip on power.

"It is a dishonest act by those in power to seek political advantage in power in order to hold on to power and remain in power," the party said in a statement.

Ong-art Klampaiboon, deputy leader of Puea Thai's rival Democrat Party, said a delay would hurt confidence in the government and could harm foreign investment.

Delaying the election would give the junta more time to work on how to stay in power beyond 2018, said Peter Mumford, Asia Director at risk consultancy firm Eurasia Group.

"I think they are still not confident that the election will deliver the result they want," Mumford told Reuters.

Thailand's foreign minister Don Pramudwinai said this week the international community would understand if the vote is delayed.

A U.S. Embassy spokesperson in Bangkok said the United States would like Thailand to return to democracy "as soon as possible."

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat, Panu Wongcha-um, and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Additional reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre and William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-26

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The members voted 213 to zero

Why they even bother going to parliament to put it through is a mystery. Just a formality I suppose.

No one with enough moral fibre to vote against it. If they did they would end up looking like this after a few years.

prisoner.jpg

11 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

More delays! I don't think anyone here will be surprised. I just wonder what the next excuse for the next delay will be.

Let's meet up here in July or August to find out, when the date will be been pushed back to 'mid to late 2019. Certainly by November at worst.'

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

More delays! I don't think anyone here will be surprised. I just wonder what the next excuse for the next delay will be.

The miraculous discovery of very clean-looking, 'hidden' caches of military weapons (attributed to 'terrorists') is a popular delay tactic here - and of course the trump card they hold up their sleeve is when a certain person of female gender passes on, then there will be months and months of delay, as elections at that time would simply not be 'appropriate' ...

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

The miraculous discovery of very clean-looking, 'hidden' caches of military weapons (attributed to 'terrorists') is a popular delay tactic here - and of course the trump card they hold up their sleeve is when a certain person of female gender passes on, then there will be months and months of delay, as elections at that time would simply not be 'appropriate' ...

The weapons excuse is always an option, but the problem is that no-one other than a few shills will buy it. However all their Christmases will come at once should the second thing you mention come to pass. As you say, months and months of delay, with any mention of politics strictly taboo. This will give them a lovely reset after the appropriate period...

3 hours ago, baboon said:

The weapons excuse is always an option, but the problem is that no-one other than a few shills will buy it. However all their Christmases will come at once should the second thing you mention come to pass. As you say, months and months of delay, with any mention of politics strictly taboo. This will give them a lovely reset after the appropriate period...

There is also the glittering, "delayed" event to take place.

I'm beginning to wonder if it ever will?

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I reckon the next excuse will be the ASEAN Summit which is being held in Thailand. Can't have elections that year, need stability, security etc.

It's a shame betting is illegal in Thailand, we could have done a sweep stake!

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

There is also the glittering, "delayed" event to take place.

I'm beginning to wonder if it ever will?

Good point, Enoon! I had forgotten about that one.

Yes, that will give them at least a couple of months before and after the scintillating event ('preparing' for it), during which  time politics will be strictly ruled out of court. 

In fact, if I were so minded (which I am not), I could suggest lots of ways to the junta by which 'elections' would need to be delayed.  But I am sure the junta needs no help from me. They are experts at coming up with daft excuses ...

Actually that is the governments April Fools Joke  They say Hey everyone  we are going to have an  election in November Response from people is " Wow that is great" Sorry it big April fool joke Not true was a big lie we tell you " Got you" Sorry we all laughing at you people for believing us.:cheesy:

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Good point, Enoon! I had forgotten about that one.

Yes, that will give them at least a couple of months before and after the scintillating event ('preparing' for it), during which  time politics will be strictly ruled out of court. 

In fact, if I were so minded (which I am not), I could suggest lots of ways to the junta by which 'elections' would need to be delayed.  But I am sure the junta needs no help from me. They are experts at coming up with daft excuses ...

So with the  ASEAN chairmanship, the "glittering event",  and one, possibly two sad  events up their sleeve, it looks good for what - 3 years?