Your Opinions Of Pattaya Ambulances?

PATTAYAPUNTER

Last month, a friend to many in Pattaya, Steven Blumenthal (co-owner of TQ2 and Mermaid's Dive School) passed away at the age of 41 from a heart attack while playing squash out in Jomtien. After 10 minutes of waiting, there was no response from the called ambulance. The car that eventually brought him to the hospital was just an ordinary car and other cars didn't know to move out of the way.

Every case is different but if I were requiring fast response, I'd be interested in a privatized paramedic response service. I'd bet many farrangs would be willing to donate to such a service if it meant greater availability for ambulances for farrangs.

So in poll-like fashion, what's your opinion of the status quo ambulance services? I only hope you haven't had to find out first hand.

a-good.

b-poor.

c-no opinion.

I would have to say the way ambilances have to fight their way thru the traffic is a big issue here, i am not sure how well they respond tho.

So c-no opinion.

And yes a tragic loss it was and he will be greatly missed.

Some cities with traffic problems have motorcycle paramedics that go to the scene, stabilize the patient, keep in radio contact with the hospital and ambulance and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

Something like that should work here in Pattaya and probably save a few lives.

b-poor

You are far better off in a real emergency to hail a baht bus and carry the injured person on board and accompany them to the hospital.

Had the experience where an old resident where I was staying came home at 3am. Heard him gasping for air and sounded like he was dying. The house maid was yelling for help and I sprang out of my bed to assist.

Told her to run to 2nd road and get a baht bus down the soi, I loaded the old guy on board and accompanied him to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

I didn't know any phone numbers nor did she and if she did decide to call an ambulance God knows how long it would have taken, I think the old chap might have died if we rang an ambulance.

There have been several instances where ambulances just don't turn up, my friend is alive today because of the quick action we took.

I've had to use Pattaya Bangkok Hospital ambulance a couple of times from home to the hospital for worrying illnesses. It was OK. Driver pushed thro the traffic and lights very well. But took PBH ambulance from here to Bumrungrad and bed was sooooooo uncomfortable - hard with a hump in the middle.