Argument at Italian Embassy Bkk

Having read on here a Thai can apply direct to the Italian (or any EU) Embassy for shengen visa at all seasons place my Mrs rang them to make sure- was told just go down no need for appointment. We got there today just before 12 to be told by the Italian security guy to go to Vfs. I said no she can apply here but he would not have that and insisted over and over we had to go to Vfs and that they did not do shengen visa there. It got quite heated with me saying EU law saying we could and him saying he is carabinari and he says no you go Vfs. 

In the end he started to back down a bit saying they were closed anyway, we knew they closed for lunch, and then asked for our nationalities (me Eu) He then took Mrs passport into the back office. When he came back he had a different attitude said he make a mistake wai ed the Mrs and told us to come back on Monday. We knew they were open again 13- 16 hours but did not fancy another argument over opening times, so she is going back on Monday. The guys attitude was very rude and aggressive, and he was also wrong, the worst Embassy, if you can call the place one I have ever had.

Now the question is what is this law in case she has to quote it and can she apply there without applying as married to an EU national? She decided not to for various reasons, she also thinks this argument might have prejudiced her application. She is not impressed with Italians so far!

The only amusing thing was that he actually looked a bit like Mussolini, especially with his arms folded, his leg spread apart and his jaw jutting out going on about Vfs! 

Edited by Orton Rd

Anybody can apply directly at the embassy without goung to VFS. They can ask for an appointment but it needs to granted ASAP (max within 2 weeks).

See the Schengen sticky or check EU directive 2004/38:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32004L0038

And EU embassy handbooks:

1) has a chapter on EU family member applications https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/20140709_visa_code_handbook_consolidated_en.pdf

2) about appointments  https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/pdf/policies/borders/docs/c_2010_3667_en.pdf

Via EU home affairs : https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en

• Like 1

The security guard was Italian not Thai, maybe he was new. The Thai staff had two opinions, guard out in the corridor said they did not do any visas there, the one behind the desk said to the Mrs to go back any Thursday, rather a shambles. Thanks for the replies guys, will have to see what Monday results in. 

• Like 1

She went again today, different Italian on security, no problems all very helpful, put in her application. Nobody else there and they did not seem as demanding as the guidelines with some documents on there not even wanted. 

• Like 1

All is well that ends well but I wouldn't tolerate it. Fortunately with mobile phones we have records of calls made, I would have immediately phoned again, because someone is giving you wrong information, either the person on the phone or the guard, whoever it is must be put straight.

I did not go the second time but sent the Mrs with a print out of the law posted in a link by Donutz, clearly states they have to accept personal applications. She went in again today and it was all co co operation again with first guard there friendly this time. As there is a notice as soon as you get in posted up about vfs with contact info they clearly try to steer you away from the Embassy. Most Thai woman on their own would just do what they were told.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I did not go the second time but sent the Mrs with a print out of the law posted in a link by Donutz, clearly states they have to accept personal applications. She went in again today and it was all co co operation again with first guard there friendly this time. As there is a notice as soon as you get in posted up about vfs with contact info they clearly try to steer you away from the Embassy. Most Thai woman on their own would just do what they were told.

One security guard tried to "steer you away from the Embassy", not "they clearly try to".

On 1/26/2018 at 4:33 PM, Orton Rd said:

We knew they were open again 13- 16 hours but did not fancy another argument over opening times, so she is going back on Monday. The guys attitude was very rude and aggressive, and he was also wrong, the worst Embassy, if you can call the place one I have ever had.

Going during regular Consular business hours (typically 08:30 - 11:30 and mornings ONLY) is also the path of least resistance. To me, pitching up at noon indicates a somewhat less ardent approach.

Sounds like you've dealt with hundreds of Embassy's then?

Good luck with the Mrs's application though.