Thai Man Being Sought For Murder Of Mexican Man In U S A

sriracha john

post-57509-1201809729_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyones input and ideas. Kat is right. For strategic reasons, and as not to compromise the eventual prosecution, not all cards are on the table.

As far as whether people of the same surname are related, and if there is a specific geographic location, that information has been researched, but is not public information. If it is proved or disproved through public searches, so be it. Possibly, not an efficient use of resources to debate at this time. And either way, the victim's right to justice should not be effected by who the suspect may be connected to. From an investigative standpoint, it is a good question, but it has been factored whether for help or hinderence value.

That said, my intel leads me to the conclusion that Woravit Mektrakarn can be located and arrested with a reasonable amount of investigation.

Here is a photo upload of Luis, as requested by Diego.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Extradition of Thai citizens from Thailand is extremely rare but it has happened. I can only think of one case which was a very high profile one about 10 years ago. A former Thai senator from the Northeast was wanted in California for involvement in smuggling large quantiities of marijuana to the US over a period of several years. The case dragged on for some time and most commentators didn't believe the Thai authorities would ever allow the extradition of a wealthy, well connected Thai. Incredibly, however, he was extradicted and even more incredibly the Californian prosecutors failed to get a conviction and he returned to Thailand after about a year on remand in the US for which he was paid compensation.

The problem in this case seems to be persuading the Thai authorities to make the effort to find Woravit Mektrakarn, assuming that he is still alive and living in Thailand. If he remained in Thailand living under his own name, he is probably still alive. One would expect that, if he had died in Thailand, this would probably have come to light as there would be no more reason to hide him. It is possible that he is in Thailand but has assumed a new identity with a fake ID card. Another possibility is that he is in another country either living under his own name or another one. I don't know if he has money or not but it is very easy to buy a Cambodian passport for around US$50,000. He could be living there or travelling around on a Cambodian passport or on some other passport of convenience. He looks ethnic Chinese and could easily blend in in Chinese communities anywhere in the world. He probably also has a Chinese name in his back pocket. Many Thai Chinese like to live under their Chinese names when they live outside Thailand to blend into Chinese communities better. If he is not living under his own name and is not in Thailand, it is going to be a lot harder to find him and would require a major Interpol operation. But the greatest likelihood is that he is in Thailand either under his own name or an assumed identity with fake papers. If he has connections and money, he would feel safest in Thailand where he can pay bribes and use his connections to keep out of trouble. He is also more likely to be able to do some kind of business to earn a living in Thailand.

A starting point would be trying to find out what his background in Thailand is then he could be tracked until he is either found or until the last contacts anyone had with him in Thailand. When immigrants apply for Thai nationality, they have to come up with a surname that has meaning in the Thai dictionary that is not being used by any other families and get the district office to approve it as a suitable name. Thais have only had surnames for 100 years. The biggest waves of Chinese immigrants came in the 30s and 40s. I would guess that this Mektrakarn family name is not more than 60 years old and that all the people who use the name are at least distantly related. Some of them are obviously well off like the president of AIS and there are also a few showing up on Google with English first names who are obviously either living in English speaking countries or have studied abroad.

There is nothing in this thread to say what the results of any Thai police investigation have been. They must surely have replied to US extradiction request. Perhaps they have just said that after extensive inquiries they couldn't find the suspect but the response is a very important piece of information for anyone trying to follow up on the case. As other posters have said, there are many cases where Thai police have simply not bothered to look for suspects, either because no one paid them to find them or because the suspects paid them not to be found. It is surprising how many suspects in Thailand are found at the address on their ID cards months or years after they disappeared, when the police were either paid or forced to make an effort to find them.

post-57509-1201892945_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201892962_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201893063_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201893101_thumb.jpg

Picture with purple shirt is circa 1992

Picture with red shirt and dark jacket is the day after murder in 1996

picture with blue shirt is circa 2004

Photos per request of SJ

There has been ongoing official communications with the Thai Police via the US State Department. I have recieved some documentation via the US State Dept regarding the Thai Police investigation. Many of the questions posted about family members and ties seem to have been investigated. That said, since I am not on the ground in Thailand, I am not in a position to judge or comment on their investigation or efforts. Those are questions that they can choose to answer for themselves if they are presented with them.

I do know that per treaty between the USA and Thailand, an application for the arrest and extradition of Mektrakarn was reviewed and approved by the US Dept of Justice, US Dept of State, Thai Ministry of Interior, Thai Foriegn Ministry, and Thai Attorney Generals Office before it was signed by a Thai Judge. I have documents signed by US secretary of State Condaleeza Rice, and former US Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez in this case. Mektrakarn is also registered with INTERPOL as a fugitive.

Mektrakarn may be in hiding as you describe, but he also may be living and working under his own name with impunity, and does not believe the Thai Government will follow through with the extradition.

post-57509-1201892945_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201892962_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201893063_thumb.jpgpost-57509-1201893101_thumb.jpg

Picture with purple shirt is circa 1992

Picture with red shirt and dark jacket is the day after murder in 1996

picture with blue shirt is circa 2004

Photos per request of SJ

There has been ongoing official communications with the Thai Police via the US State Department. I have recieved some documentation via the US State Dept regarding the Thai Police investigation. Many of the questions posted about family members and ties seem to have been investigated. That said, since I am not on the ground in Thailand, I am not in a position to judge or comment on their investigation or efforts. Those are questions that they can choose to answer for themselves if they are presented with them.

I do know that per treaty between the USA and Thailand, an application for the arrest and extradition of Mektrakarn was reviewed and approved by the US Dept of Justice, US Dept of State, Thai Ministry of Interior, Thai Foriegn Ministry, and Thai Attorney Generals Office before it was signed by a Thai Judge. I have documents signed by US secretary of State Condaleeza Rice, and former US Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez in this case. Mektrakarn is also registered with INTERPOL as a fugitive.

Mektrakarn may be in hiding as you describe, but he also may be living and working under his own name with impunity, and does not believe the Thai Government will follow through with the extradition.

Sounds like the Thai authorities would not have a problem with the extradition but it is just a case of finding him. There are some famous fugitives from Thai justice that have been able to vaporize for many years but are probably in Thailand or in Cambodia and most likely still in contact with family and friends. One would think that they would be traceable with some effort but that effort from the Thai police never seems to be forthcoming in the case of wealthy fugitives. Mektrakarn could well be living in Thailand under his own name or under an assumed name but known to several people. He must be from a Thai Chinese business family and they may be quite well to do which would be a perfect situation for corrupt police as they could collect a regular income for not pursuing the investigation. Sometimes an inside connection is necessary to short circuit the official channels and find our what is the real state of play. The US must have several people (DEA etc) working on secondment to the Thai police who know senior Thai police who could perhaps make discreet enquiries. That is the way things are done in Thailand. Unfortunately money is also often needed to oil wheels. Bidding wars can even take place between suspects and those who want them brought to justice. But even without paying bribes, which they obviously cannot do, Ontario police may be able achieve a fair bit, if they could come to Bangkok to liaise with their Thai counterparts on the investigation.

I was wondering what was the provenance of the 2004 photo of Mekrakarn. Didn't he disappear soon after the murder?

Edited by Arkady

Sounds like the Thai authorities would not have a problem with the extradition but it is just a case of finding him. There are some famous fugitives from Thai justice that have been able to vaporize for many years but are probably in Thailand or in Cambodia and most likely still in contact with family and friends. One would think that they would be traceable with some effort but that effort from the Thai police never seems to be forthcoming in the case of wealthy fugitives. Mektrakarn could well be living in Thailand under his own name or under an assumed name but known to several people. He must be from a Thai Chinese business family and they may be quite well to do which would be a perfect situation for corrupt police as they could collect a regular income for not pursuing the investigation. Sometimes an inside connection is necessary to short circuit the official channels and find our what is the real state of play. The US must have several people (DEA etc) working on secondment to the Thai police who know senior Thai police who could perhaps make discreet enquiries. That is the way things are done in Thailand. Unfortunately money is also often needed to oil wheels. Bidding wars can even take place between suspects and those who want them brought to justice. But even without paying bribes, which they obviously cannot do, Ontario police may be able achieve a fair bit, if they could come to Bangkok to liaise with their Thai counterparts on the investigation.

I was wondering what was the provenance of the 2004 photo of Mekrakarn. Didn't he disappear soon after the murder?

Arkady,

You are very good at seeing what is written, but may not actually be in words. The scenario you describe could be very possible or probable. Cozy arrangements work well as long as they can be continued in secrecy. Finding the right person within the system, finding someone outside the system (but within the country) willing to expose the secrecy, or multiple independant individuals (also in country) who will directly question the authorities and ask for accountability have to suffice when there is no money to oil the right wheels. Thus we rely on the viral video, and people power to try to break the staus quo in this case. Per treaty, US police officials are not permitted to have direct "official" commuication with the foreign police officials, but I imagine a Thai citizens or media could ask questions of the police force. From what I have learned from everyone in the forum, it might not be prudent to do so, for undue attention.

I learned very early in my career to never back anyone into an unescapable corner. Leave a person a way out, even if it it only in their pride, treat them with respect and dignity, and 99.9 percent of the time, you can accomplish what you need to do without force or drama. If you trap them with no way out, they give themselves no choice but to fight or resist you. This is especially true if their actions are being watched or scrutinized by others.

I am not in a position to judge or form conclusions regarding the Thai police, society, or Mektrkarn's family. I just trust that they will make the right decision when all the pieces have fallen in place.

Woravit Mektrakarn was arrested at the time of the murder in 1996. He was released after 48 hours (statutory limit) because the District Attorney's office did not feel the preliminary evidence was sufficient to support the charge (ie: no body). He did not disappear, but immediately fled US jurisdiction upon his release, fearing refiling of charges. There is evidence that Mektrakarn has lived with family in Bangkok under his own name. The case sat as a cold case until 2004, when after futher investigation and scientific tests murder charges were filed. Mektrakarn may have gone underground (or not) upon hearing that charges have been filed and his co-conspirator Chansak Plengsangtip is facing trial. The veracity of all photos and information posted is from reliable sources.

Arkady,

You are very good at seeing what is written, but may not actually be in words. The scenario you describe could be very possible or probable. Cozy arrangements work well as long as they can be continued in secrecy. Finding the right person within the system, finding someone outside the system (but within the country) willing to expose the secrecy, or multiple independant individuals (also in country) who will directly question the authorities and ask for accountability have to suffice when there is no money to oil the right wheels. Thus we rely on the viral video, and people power to try to break the staus quo in this case. Per treaty, US police officials are not permitted to have direct "official" commuication with the foreign police officials, but I imagine a Thai citizens or media could ask questions of the police force. From what I have learned from everyone in the forum, it might not be prudent to do so, for undue attention.

I learned very early in my career to never back anyone into an unescapable corner. Leave a person a way out, even if it it only in their pride, treat them with respect and dignity, and 99.9 percent of the time, you can accomplish what you need to do without force or drama. If you trap them with no way out, they give themselves no choice but to fight or resist you. This is especially true if their actions are being watched or scrutinized by others.

I am not in a position to judge or form conclusions regarding the Thai police, society, or Mektrkarn's family. I just trust that they will make the right decision when all the pieces have fallen in place.

Woravit Mektrakarn was arrested at the time of the murder in 1996. He was released after 48 hours (statutory limit) because the District Attorney's office did not feel the preliminary evidence was sufficient to support the charge (ie: no body). He did not disappear, but immediately fled US jurisdiction upon his release, fearing refiling of charges. There is evidence that Mektrakarn has lived with family in Bangkok under his own name. The case sat as a cold case until 2004, when after futher investigation and scientific tests murder charges were filed. Mektrakarn may have gone underground (or not) upon hearing that charges have been filed and his co-conspirator Chansak Plengsangtip is facing trial. The veracity of all photos and information posted is from reliable sources.

Thanks for your reply and explanations. What you say increases the sense that there could be quite a number of people in Thailand who either know the current whereabouts of Mektrakarn or have information that could lead to his discovery. I didn't know the treaty prevented direct communication with the foreign police officials but that is logical the way diplomacy works.

There is some background detail about the case I am curious about. Who were the owners of Rama Noodles? Were Mektrakarn and Plengsangtip owners either directly or through nominees. They are described as managers but the case seems to suggest they were owners. Do we know what other businesses they or their families own in the US, Thailand or elsewhere? Are they related? Thai Chinese are not very trusting of outsiders and normally prefer to do business with their extended families. I also wonder how long Garcia worked at Rama Noodles and how much was his salary. This is to understand whether the payment he was trying to collect from Rama Noodles was pay that they should have paid him, if they were following labor regulations. Also how many employees did they have? Would similar payments to other employees have had serious financial consequences for the owners? BTW is the business still in operation?

Edited by Arkady

RAMA FOODS was owned and operated by the Mektrakarn Family. Chansak Plengsangtip was a family friend, who operated his own seperate business approximately 50 miles away in another city.

Again, Arkady asks some very observant and relevant questions. Of course there are answers that make sense. Much of the information is publicly accessible and can be researched on the internet. Some of the information is withheld until such time that it's release will benefit the investigation most.

RAMA FOODS was owned and operated by the Mektrakarn Family.

Thank you for that. It seems less of a stretch now that, presuming there is not more than one wealthy extended Mektrakarn family in Thailand, that the AIS President is somehow related to the alleged suspect. This, also presumes, that it would take a wealthy Thai family to own a large factory in the USA and a further presumption that the President of the largest telecom in Thailand is also wealthy. To me, these presumptions do not seem to be much of a stretch.

Edited by sriracha john

RAMA FOODS was owned and operated by the Mektrakarn Family.

Thank you for that. It seems less of a stretch now that, presuming there is not more than one wealthy extended Mektrakarn family in Thailand, that the AIS President is somehow related to the alleged suspect. This, also presumes, that it would take a wealthy Thai family to own a large factory in the USA and a further presumption that the President of the largest telecom in Thailand is also wealthy. To me, these presumptions do not seem to be much of a stretch.

Wichian Mektrakarn must be from a fairly well off family but perhaps not super rich. More likely father was a medium size business owner without too much education himself but made enough to send his kids overseas for education. It was perhaps a basic type of industry that was boring to Wichian after he had been in the US and he might have preferred to be a salaryman for an eminent corporation to working in the family business. He seems to have come up through the ranks at AIS and became president in the management reshuffle after the Singaporeans took over the parent company Shin Corp (which was the trigger for the Sept 2006 coup). He is not on the board there. My point here is that, if Wichian's family were super rich, they would have extensive business interests and working as a salaryman at Advance Info would not have been an option. Advance Info still has some good connections in Thailand but became a bit of a black sheep in the Thai corporate scene after former prime minister Thaksin sold the parent company. There are still cases pending in the courts about illegal foreign ownership via nominees. Interestingly Wichian has a Californian connection. He graduated in Electrical Engineering at California State University and then worked for Hughes Aircraft. Vorawit was probably also sent to university in California and decided to stay on and start his own business or join an existing family business there. This is just for interest. I have no idea whether Vorawit and Wichian Mektrakarn are close family or not and am not suggesting anything.

Information on other unrelated case snipped for brevity...

Murder cases YouTubed

ONTARIO - A detective has launched what he calls a "viral video assault," hoping it will generate leads in the hunt for two fugitive murder suspects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YouTube Videos:

- Fugitive Profiles #1: Rudy Fernandez

- Fugitive Profiles #2: Woravit "Kim" Mektrakarn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ontario police Detective Byron Lee said he doesn't know if the two short movie clips he posted on the popular YouTube Web site last week will help him find Rudy Fernandez or Woravit Mektrakarn.

But he figures if the Internet can draw the eyes of the world to asinine human stunts and celebrity doings, maybe it can bring some attention to his search for two long-lost bad guys.

"I don't want these fugitives to feel like they can fly under the radar," Lee said. "I want them to worry every time they see someone looking at a computer screen or checking their e-mail."

Police across the country have flirted with ways of using the explosive popularity of Internet video sites like YouTube to help catch crooks, but Lee's approach might be novel.

While other departments occasionally post a clip of a surveillance video or a mug shot online, Lee has created entire videos from scratch, complete with dramatic narration, sound effects and his own camera work.

He posted the clips on YouTube, then went to work trying to get everyone he knows to spread the word via e-mail. The Delta Sigma Chi fraternity at Cal State San Bernardino volunteered its members to post the videos on their MySpace pages and blast the links into cyberspace.

"I started looking at how many jokes get sent around on the Internet," he said. "You know what? If everybody forwarded one of these video links like they do the jokes, somebody, somewhere, who knows something about these cases will eventually click on one of them."

Each of the videos drew several hundred views their first week online.

Mektrakarn, meanwhile, was charged with murder in 2004 after police identified him as the suspect in the 1996 slaying of one of his employees at an Ontario noodle factory. Police believe he killed Luis Osvaldo Diego Garcia, a Mexican immigrant, over a pay dispute. Garcia's body was never found.

Mektrakarn is likely living in Thailand. Police have obtained an international warrant for his arrest, but Thai authorities have not apprehended him.

The video on Mektrakarn's case is about three minutes long and features a narration written by one of Garcia's sisters.

Lee made each clip on a basic personal computer using free software available from Microsoft. He posted the movies online using the pseudonym Constable Arthur Day, which is the name of his cat.

Lee said he was attracted to the concept of the videos because they can keep working online 24 hours a day, even when he is off or busy with other cases.

Also, relatives of the victims, who often feel powerless when investigations go cold, can involve themselves by disseminating the videos, giving them a productive outlet for their grief, he said.

Garcia's sister, Elizenda Diego Garcia, said in an e-mail from Mexico this week that her family has already started doing so.

She's sent the links to co-workers who, in turn, have sent them to everyone on their e-mail contact lists, she said. Already, she's been surprised by the interest the video has received, she said.

The writer of a blog on Thai culture contacted her about the case, and she has found discussions of it on Internet message boards about Thailand, she said. :o:D

Lee said he's already received some information on Garcia's case as a result of the video. While it hasn't led to an arrest, it has given him insight on how to work with Thai authorities in perhaps bringing Mektrakarn to justice, he said.

"Hopefully. this will be a good tool to break some of these cases," he said. "If it is, maybe we'll use it more in the future."

- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (California, USA)

Edited by sriracha john

I am Luis' sister.

My brother was killed 11 years ago. We want to find his killer and we want find his remains and come back to Mexico. We are very grateful with Ontario Police for his efforts and support. And all people that read this Forum thank you for you messages. We still in contact with you.

Edited by IMChris

The newspaper article today and news TV broadcasts, along with the discussion on this forum have been very succesful in focusing attention on this case, especially in Thailand. I wish to thank everyone for their assistance and input. Behind the scenes, it appears that our efforts my be working, but we should stay vigilant.

Thank You,

CAD007

The newspaper article today and news TV broadcasts, along with the discussion on this forum have been very succesful in focusing attention on this case, especially in Thailand. I wish to thank everyone for their assistance and input. Behind the scenes, it appears that our efforts my be working, but we should stay vigilant.

Thank You,

CAD007

You're most welcome... the injustice of the situation and the intriguing nature of its multiple components (as exemplified in the thread title) is what prompted me to post the OP.

Glad we have been of some help.

Edited by sriracha john

A TV News Story related to the newspaper story will run tonight at 10 pm on KCAL 9 and at 11:00 pm PST on KCBS 2 in Los Angeles. The story and links should be on their web sites later.

Until a tangible result in the form of an arrest occurs, I will continue with gathering and documentating information and posting it to the forum when it can be disseminated. The support in keeping the thread running gives me the clout I need to show that there is awareness and readiness to get involved inside Thailand.

CAD007

A TV News Story related to the newspaper story will run tonight at 10 pm on KCAL 9 and at 11:00 pm PST on KCBS 2 in Los Angeles. The story and links should be on their web sites later.

Until a tangible result in the form of an arrest occurs, I will continue with gathering and documentating information and posting it to the forum when it can be disseminated. The support in keeping the thread running gives me the clout I need to show that there is awareness and readiness to get involved inside Thailand.

CAD007

I saw you and heard you first time in video on cbs2. I really hope that with your brilliant idea the OPD catch two murders. They just injured people and the jail is not enough to this bad guys. My parents, siblings and all my family are very, very grateful with your help in this case. We are waiting to found the Luis' remains and sooner o later catch Kim and go to jail.

Yesterday, while searching news stories, I came across a piece about Apple inc. and AIS having talks to provide cellular service in Thailand for the iphone. I then found on the Apple.com site a proudly displayed Apple Supplier Code of Conduct. The Code addresses various issues such as workers rights, ethics, corruption, safety, and working conditions for individuals and firms that Apple does business with.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/...ct_12282006.pdf

This prompted me to contact various Apple executives via e-mail with an inquiry which reads in part:

" I have the highest respect for Apple products and the excellence in corporate social responsibility practiced by Apple Inc......I recently learned that Apple Inc was in talks with AIS of Thailand, of which Wichian Mektrakarn is president. Prior to deciding on any relationship with Wichian Mektrakarn and AIS, I would ask Apple to investigate whether Wichian Mektrakarn has any connection to the suspect and business involved in the below murder case. If so, it could be a violation of several major sections of Apple's Supplier Code of Ethics, and Apple's sense of global responsibility to continue talks unless the issue is resolved."

I think it would be important to Apple Inc to investigate, or at least inquire, into this matter before before committing to such a large financial partnership. On the other hand, relatives of Woravit Mektrakarn are probably law abiding citizens who may not know that he is a fugutive, wanted for murder.

In any case, Woravit Mektrakarns arrest or surrender to US or Thai authorities would resolve many issues and close this case.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see how all parties involved respond.

answer to money, or answer to morals

Look away and let evil triumph or use industrial power to find justice for the powerless.

I will keep everyone posted on developments.

Below is the extent of response, e-mailed personally to several Apple Execs, PR and Safety Managers:

Date:
February 15, 2008 7:30:44 AM PST

To:

Subject:
Re: Fwd: Apple Supplier Ethics Issue; Follow-up: 42518782

Dear ________________,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your comments on AIS of Thailand.

Apple is committed to providing a positive experience for our customers through the use of our hardware, software, and Internet offerings. Feedback such as yours helps us determine areas of opportunity as we continue to grow our business.

Please be assured that Apple values the time and consideration that you invested in your feedback.

Best regards,

Beau

Apple Customer Care

But at least they were prompt, as the response came back almost immediately.
:o

= .AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; }

Thanks for clearing that all up. Your earlier post (now deleted) was a bit confusing, to say the least... :D

That was a great tactic to take regarding Apple. :o

Please let us know how they respond.

Best of luck in your continued efforts.

I beg to differ on the tack with Apple.

Wichian Mektrakarn has done nothing wrong, he is and has been a professional in his business dealings for many years, you are buy namesake only beginning to weave him into a web of conspiricy. I feel for the Diago family, but to approach Apple with such a request is going well outside the bounds of decent policing. If Wichian was faced with questions about Woravit Mektrakarn as part to of Apple's iPhone negotiations in Thailand, that would be ludicrous! Pls step back from your continuous investigations and think a little smarter.

"I beg to differ on the tack with Apple.

Wichian Mektrakarn has done nothing wrong, he is and has been a professional in his business dealings for many years, you are buy namesake only beginning to weave him into a web of conspiracy. I feel for the Diago family, but to approach Apple with such a request is going well outside the bounds of decent policing. If Wichian was faced with questions about Woravit Mektrakarn as part to of Apple's iPhone negotiations in Thailand, that would be ludicrous! Pls step back from your continuous investigations and think a little smarter."

Jay,

You are absolutely right. I know of no evidence that Wichian Mektrakarn is guilty of any wrongdoing. From what I have read of him, he is a very hard working professional, who has been of great service to the people of Thailand in the telecommunications field. Your assumption that the connection to Wichian Mektrakarn is based solely on a like surname may be in error. I would not associate people based on name only, without other information being present.

The meeting and inquiry that you describe as ludicrous, would be the best that I could hope for in this case. If Apple were to take this potential ethics issue seriously enough to even make a brief mention of it, it would have the desired effect.

If, hypothetically, Wichian Mektrakarn were faced with a question about Woravit Mektrakarn, in a meeting with Apple, These would be the hypothetical choice of answers:

1) I have no comment

2) I do not know Woravit Mektrakarn and have never seen him before.

3) I know Woravit Mektrakarn, but do not have any information or contact with him, but will do everything possible to help/or not.

4) I know Woravit Mektrakarn, but was not aware of the situation, and will/will not do everything I can to assist police to resolve it quickly.

At that point, Apple could hypothetically let it go, or investigate further. There is a myriad of government, public, and commercial data services which can identify and definitively link people through vital statistics, business, and consumer records. In a potential business dealing of such a large magnitude, Apple may wish to have all the answers in able to respond to questions and defend it's position in the event a deal is struck. A good investigation only points to the truth, and should not be feared.

To catch a fugitive, it is sometimes necessary to eliminate places where the fugitive can seek refuge or seek aid. Many times this refuge is from family members who are not aware or are being exploited by the fugitive. Sometimes family members think there are no consequences to providing refuge and need to be shown the cost vs benefit of certain choices.

A while back, my partner and I were in a high speed pursuit of a stolen car. The car crashed into a house, damaging the structure and several cars. The suspect escaped, and rode a bus for 24 hrs to seek refuge from his family in another state, a thousand miles away. We were able to get a phone number, and two days later, while my partner spoke with the suspect on the phone, I was on another phone with the local authorities. They surrounded the house. when the police knocked, they were told by family members that the fugitive was not there. I assured the police that he was there, and that my partner could hear the police knocking while he spoke with the fugitive. I also advised them that the fugitives father also had a minor arrest warrant. The police advised the family that they were seeking an search warrant, and would respond with a SWAT team to investigate all criminal activity and persons in the house, besides the fugitive. A few minutes later, the front door opened, our fugitive was thrown out, and the door slammed behind him. The police took the car thief and left.

Sometimes, safe haven for a fugitive can be removed through media coverage. This case has generated little mainstream media attention in the US, and to my knowledge none in Thailand. Maybe someday a freelance journalist or investigative reporter will do the investigation and wish to break the story.

As I am on the other side of the world, have no police authority in Thailand, and no means of travel or to post a reward, the only tools I have to use are the Internet, and what little education and advice on Thai culture and society I have received from concerned people, as yourself, on the Thai Visa forum. Sometimes a policeman's job is not to be nice. Whether or not it is outside the bounds of decent policing in this case, I will leave to the individual observer to judge. And I respect your opinion in the matter.

In the meantime, as the years pass, the Diego family ages and faces health issues without closure, witnesses die, or disappear, the torch being held for a seemingly insignificant victim may have no one to be passed to.

Jay, I would welcome any ideas or suggestions that you can give me on other paths of action to pursue. I appreciate all the assistance from Thai Visa users in keeping interest alive in the case, and in passing on the video link.

Thank You,

CAD007

• 2 weeks later...

Wichart Mektrakarn in USA

At the time of Luis Diego's (Garcia) murder in 1996, Wichart Mektrakarn was the long time factory owner and President of record for RAMA FOODS INC.

(Established through City Business License and County Assessor Records.)

http://nppublic.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/ne...sInterface.aspx

Wichart Mektrakarn in Thailand/Burma:

President of Thai Businessman's Assoc in Burma and Gem Exporter

001.gif

Thai Ambassador Oum Maolanon, and Myanmar One MD Wichart Mektrakarn

http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/myanmartimes/no116/myanmartimes6-116/Timeouts/9.htmhttp://www.ibiblio.org/obl/reg.burma/archives/199705/msg00364.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs3/BPS96-02.pdf://http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/myanmarti...PS96-02.pdf

http://www.newint.org/issue294/update.htm

RAMA Foods was where Woravit Mektrakarn was manager, and the murder occurred.