Gang attack on individuals.

Sonhia

I am from Southern California and when in Vietnam era Army due to my job I traveled around Asia a lot. I never was afraid of locals anywhere. I always found if you treat people with respect you will usually be treated likewise. 

Now home in Calif I had other experiences. 

On one occasion I worked on my ex wifes car while my daughter was visiting me. I took her home late at night to a bad section of Long Beach. The ex refused to drive me home so I walked. Fortunately I was wearing my bulky flight jacket. A couple of guys were following behind me and one said, "this dude don't belong here, lets get paid" I turned around, put my right hand under my jacket as if I was reaching for a gun, and said "who wants to die first" "I use hollow points and don't miss". They got pale, and backed away saying they were just joking. I was so lucky my bluff worked. But the police stopped me soon after looking for the non existent weapon. Such was life for this older duck. 555

9 hours ago, catman20 said:

who was he to try to help ? maybe he should of mined his own business. the Thais are properly out now.

He was trying to help the family who were customers in his bar earlier.  It has been said that 'nobody tried to help'.  Well this shows the consequences of trying to help.  Is there any wonder why people are reluctant to get involved?

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

He was trying to help the family who were customers in his bar earlier.  It has been said that 'nobody tried to help'.  Well this shows the consequences of trying to help.  Is there any wonder why people are reluctant to get involved?

i think he was stupid to get involved, it was nothing to do with him, the Brits started it and he got a good hiding over some tourist customers that thought they could through there weight around in Thailand. i hope the bar owner learns a valuable lesson here dont get involved in other people business.

I realize this is 6 months old, but the World Economic Forum ranked Thailand 118 out of 136 countries. This signals that Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for travelers and tourists:

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/06/dangerous-thailand-authorities-denial-smoke-mirrors-exercise/#UU1kPJRsYZm66lz3.97

While, like I said, 6 months old, but I seriously doubt much has changed since the report was issued. Naturally, the Thai government maintains the data was poor and outdated, but this organization has no built in bias.

I like to share a statistic from over 10,000 cases in the last three years in Thailand were a foreign travel insurance was involved.

Acute illness counts for over 70% of all cases

General accidents like falls are 12%

Road accidents are less than 5%

Sea accidents (speedboat, etc.) are <1%

Assault, rape are all together < 0.3%

On 31/01/2018 at 3:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I like to share a statistic from over 10,000 cases in the last three years in Thailand were a foreign travel insurance was involved.

Acute illness counts for over 70% of all cases

General accidents like falls are 12%

Road accidents are less than 5%

Sea accidents (speedboat, etc.) are <1%

Assault, rape are all together < 0.3%

Sounds about right.