Visa Run From Chiang Mai

What sort of information do you need  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am considering visiting Chiang Mai for a couple of days and going to Mae Sai for my visa run (I have a multi-entry O visa). As I am unfamiliar with this part of Thailand any tips/info from recent travelers would be much appreciated.

Thank you Thetymin for your reply.

My only experience of “quickie” cross border runs so far have been to the Cambodian border at Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet via tour companies (bus or minibus) from Pattaya. There you pass through Thai Immigration obtain a Cambodian visa and get stamped in/out by the Cambodian Immigration (Bht 100 extra for same day departure) then simply cross back into Thailand. No problem. Is it a similar situation at Mae Sai?

A friend of mine in Chiang Mai may be able to take me to the border by car, if not are there any tour companies in Chiang Mai that organise specific visa runs to the border?

Its pretty straightforward. Go to the border. You'll see Thai Immigration. They stamp you out. You walk across the bridge and over to the right side. You'll see Burmese immigration. You pay US$5. They stamp you and ask you if you want to go buy something at the market or just go back to LOS. So you go back to Los and fill out your TM card. Wait in line. And get your stamp. And that's that. Just remember to wear clean clothes and shoes...

CMT has answered your query the only thing I would add is that the Thai Immigration is about a mile before the border on the left.

If you need accomodation I can recommend a couple of places.

Be careful if you go shopping in Tachilek, lots of cheats over there.

Shopping on the Thai side is safer but you have to bargain hard.

Thetyim,

I was there in March and Passport Services (exit stamps) had moved to the border. Immigration however is still located at the old spot ... you don't need to visit them just for a border crossing. Ofcourse it is entirely possible that they (passport services) have moved back.

/SM

Thetyim,

I was there in March and Passport Services (exit stamps) had moved to the border. Immigration however is still located at the old spot ... you don't need to visit them just for a border crossing. Ofcourse it is entirely possible that they (passport services) have moved back.

/SM

I was there recently and the Thai immigration building a mile before the border was completely deserted. A sign on the door said they had moved to the border...

I was there in March also.

My friend used the Immigration a mile before the border to stamp in and out.

Anyone been there this month ?

We need some confirmation

I was there on May 7th. That building was empty. It appears it all happens at the border now.

Many thanks to Thetymin, ChiangMaiThai & Lordfoul for the input.

Just 2 questions remaining:

1. Does the US$5. for Burmese Immigration have to be in US currency or will they take the equivalent in Thai Baht?

2. Any information regarding organised visa runs from Chiangmai?

1. When I was there 5 months ago, it was possible to pay in baht at Burmese immigration - 250 baht. I should think this is still the same, I see no reason why they should have changed it, but maybe bring USD to be on the safe side.

2. I don't know of any organized services, but it is a piece of cake to do it yourself.

Go to Arcade bus station in CM early in the morning (about 7 or 8 is good, so you can catch the first bus), find the booth for Mae Sai, buy the ticket, find the bus and you're on your way. There will inevitably be other visa runners on the bus, so you'll have somebody to chat to unless you speak Thai.

When you reach Mae Sai, shared songthaews leave for the border at 10 baht per person. Do your stuff at the border, get a songthaew back to the bus station and book a ticket back to CM, find something to eat while waiting for the bus, and then back to Chiang Mai. It's a full day, and it will probably be dark before you're back, but you'll get your stamps.

Indeed the immigration office for stamping you out of Thailand has now moved to the left hand side of the bridge approach, although their offices are atill in the old building. It is a much speedier process then before as they have several officers on duty. Entry into Myanmar is US$5 or two hundred and fifty baht ,50 baht cheaper if you have US dollars :o

There are many companies that do bus runs to the border, also some of the bars in Chiangmai organise their own. Failing that there is a good bus service.

Very quick and painless.

hi'

Anyone been there this month ?

We need some confirmation

I have made a visa run on the 6th of may, the new "immigration" is the old "box" just before the check-point ... like the old time :o

stamp out and stamp in burma ... pay a visit to the market in tachilek ... some good prices sometime :D {a load of dvd's ...check them before:-) }

cheers

francois

ps; still no problem for 30 days visas (news from friends)

Edited by francois

Many thanks to all for your input; I successfully completed my visa run on 17th May with no problems at all. All the immigration procedures are at the border and I paid Bht 250 for my one day visit to Myanmar. Returned into Thailand and received a 90 day visa class Non-O. Smooth as silk! :o