Non Chlorine swimming pool systems

Astounding

Hello, I would love to hear from anyone with experience using chlorine free swimming pool systems. I thought salt water systems were the way to go, but now I understand that the salt is converted to Chlorine.

I have heard about the Bioniser system so would love to hear from someone with experience or an alternative system 

thanks for for your input, I value and information offered.

Plenty of systems claiming to be fresh water, however most are just a spin on words & clever marketing.

The safest way to have a clean pool is to have some sort of chlorination, salt chlorination preferably as it takes away the hand dosing element and has many other advantages with getting the water correctly balance etc. You can run you chlorine levels quite low if you have your water balanced & cynuric acid levels correct minimising the effects of chlorine on bather experience.

Ionisation (Most fresh water systems) has it benefits but is not the the whole answer. Having heavy metals in the pool only kills algae & not viruses. So if someone swims with eyes, ears, nose or throat infection there is still a chance other bathers will catch it! (Frowned upon in Australia as the heavy metals are introduced into the environment with backwashing)

Ozone has it benefits but is not the whole answer. It is a very short life and leaves no residual in the water long enough for being used alone in the pool. (High electricity costs)

UV is effective but only as the water passes by the UV bulb which kills as the water passes by. Again no residual sanitation in the body of pool water.

There is a relatively new system on the market that has been thoroughly tested with hundreds in use called "Oxy Minerale" system. Uses pink Himalayan salt which has 89 minerals being good for the skin. Creates 2 active molecules of oxygen & a very small amount of chlorine to leave a residual in the pool water. Search YouTube for "Oxy Minerale" system. The video is about 7 + minutes long. I won't post the link as it may jeopardise this reply! 

If you are considering using the Bioniser system, I would strongly urge you to download and read the instruction manual very carefully.

For it to work well and I have no doubts that it does what it says on the tin, you have to keep your water in perfect balancein regards to  ph,  total alkalinity and calcium hardness. the system certainly does not like phosphates.

The manufactures say you do  have to add small amounts of chlorine, or use their oxidizing system.

Studies have shown it is effective in killing legionella for example but still involves chlorine.

My take on it is, if you do like tinkering with your pool in regards  to chemical balance etc the give it a go.

Remember to read the manual first then think about it. you will have to become reasonably well up on your pool and source water chemistry.

Anyone else thinking about chlorine free treatments as Bagwain has said Ozone and UV work really well but you still need a residual of around .5 -.75 ppm of free chlorine in the water to prevent cross infection between bathers this is very important. 

Attached is a study of ionization the affects on legionella beware a heavy read , read the intro then the conclusion then you hopefully get the gist.

copper-silver-disinfection-efficacy-of-copper-and-silver-ions-and-reduced-levels-of-free-chlorine-in-inactivation-of-legionella-pneumophila-1989.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Bionizer is a salt water pool chlorinator replacement system that uses natural mineral ions, copper and silver to transform swimming pools and spas to natural water without using chemicals such as chlorine. It leave your pool with sparkling, healthy and fresh water that will give you the best swimming experience you will ever have.

But I also completely agree with Bargwain with this that “Plenty of systems claiming to be fresh water, however most are just a spin on words & clever marketing”

13 hours ago, alessiahayden66 said:

Bionizer is a salt water pool chlorinator replacement system that uses natural mineral ions, copper and silver to transform swimming pools and spas to natural water without using chemicals such as chlorine. It leave your pool with sparkling, healthy and fresh water that will give you the best swimming experience you will ever have.

But I also completely agree with Bargwain with this that “Plenty of systems claiming to be fresh water, however most are just a spin on words & clever marketing”

They still need a small amount of residual chlorine.

16 hours ago, alessiahayden66 said:

Bionizer is ionisation. Ionisation doesn't kill viruses period!! Frowned upon by the health authorities & EPA's in western countries as they introduce heavy metals back into the environment!!  Commercial pools In Australia have to have a residual minimum Cl of 1 ppm at any part of the day no matter what system they are using. 

Archived