Bitcoin falls to fresh 2-1/2 month low

snoop1130

Bitcoin falls to fresh 2-1/2 month low

2018-02-05T112023Z_1_LYNXMPEE140TV_RTROPTP_3_BOSNIA-BITCOIN.JPG

Broken representation of the Bitcoin virtual currency, placed on a monitor that displays stock graph and binary codes, are seen in this illustration picture, December 21, 2017. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

LONDON (Reuters) - Bitcoin, the world's best-known cryptocurrency, fell 7 percent on Monday to a fresh 2-1/2-month low of $7,599 on back of growing worries about a regulatory clampdown and bans on the purchase of the digital coins.

The price of Bitcoin on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange has now fallen by more than half from a peak of almost $20,000 hit in December. Last week it suffered its worst weekly performance since 2013.

British bank Lloyds Banking Group on Sunday said it was banning customers from buying Bitcoin using credit cards. It joined U.S. banking giants JPMorgan Chase & Co and Citigroup who announced similar bans on concerns the lenders could be held liable when the volatile currencies plunge in value.

(Reporting by Tommy Wilkes; editing by Sujata Rao)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-2-5

6 minutes ago, SoulWater said:

I am really glad that this was the month I chose to dip my foot into this crypto currency thing - I am sure if I hadn't invested it would have continued to climb! :(

Good luck with it. For the sake of stress management maybe don't watch it all the time! Just think it wasn't that long ago that email started and we were told it will never replace snail mail etc. facebook started - people laughed at the notion it would become used worldwide - it did. In fact wife and I now get approx 70% of our separate business customers through FB. Dollar and other fiat currencies are backed up by nothing, just trust. There is limit to how many the central banks can print. Total farce really when you think about it. At least BTC has a finite supply. Crypto's have crashed much worse than now in % terms and always rebounded to new all time highs. I will be buying more if the price drops significantly. I wouldn't be mortgaging the house to invest everything in them, but a little punt, why not?

Never understood what it was about and a bit late In the day to invest as was up to about 16000 dollars 

if you read the comments  nearly everyone  who invested no doubt the early ones made a fortune or so they say  

the ones who did not invest for what ever reason are the ones hoping it dives

so they can say don't say did I not warn you 

what goes up can come down  

Anyway invest in what you can afford to lose  (  or win in some cases ) 

Archived