British Columbia to sell recreational marijuana in pot-only stores

webfact

British Columbia to sell recreational marijuana in pot-only stores

By Nicole Mordant

2018-02-06T005110Z_1_LYNXMPEE1501A_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-MARIJUANA-BRITISHCOLUMBIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A women wearing novelty sunglasses with artificial marijuana leaves smokes a marijuana joint at the Vancouver Art Gallery during the annual 420 day promoting the use of marijuana in Vancouver, British Columbia April 20, 2012. REUTERS/Ben Nelms/File Photo

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - British Columbia said on Monday it would set up a chain of government-run shops and license private stores that would sell recreational marijuana only, the latest of Canada's provinces to unveil sales strategies for pot just months before it is legalized.

Mike Farnworth, the province's public safety minister, said recreational cannabis would not be allowed to be sold in the same stores as liquor or tobacco in Canada's third-most populous province.

In urban areas, licensed retailers would only be allowed to sell pot and pot accessories, and would be prohibited from selling other items, such as food, gas and lottery tickets.

Exceptions would be made to this rule in rural areas, where there is more limited access to retailers.

Recreational marijuana is on track to be legalized in Canada by July, making Canada the first Group of Seven country to allow the drug nationwide and just the second in the world after Uruguay.

British Columbia's policies on pot "are driven by our priorities of protecting youth, promoting health and safety, keeping the criminal element out of cannabis and keeping our roads safe," Farnworth said in a statement.

Recreational marijuana could not be sold to anyone under 19. The government would also run online sales.

The Pacific Coast province aimed to open its first government-run and private recreational pot stores by late summer, Farnworth later told reporters.

Although the province did not put a cap on the number of retail licenses available, they would not be issued without the backing of local municipalities, which could say what their communities needed.

While the federal legislation proposed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government will regulate cannabis production, the details of who can sell it and who can buy it has been largely left up to the country's provinces.

In Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, cannabis sales will be run by provincial government-owned entities. The western provinces of Manitoba and Alberta have said they will license private retailers.

(Reporting by Nicole Mordant in Vancouver; editing by Alistair Bell and G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-06

1 hour ago, pegman said:

I think after a few years when people get used to the idea of pot being sold legally it will be sold along side of booze. If it is priced too high the black market will stay around.

Pot in Canada is expensive  Also the best quality in the world.. Hard to believe the legal will be more expensive. But hey it is grass can always grow your own huh.

The legal growers have been growing it for the last few years developing quality pot. A friend back in Victoria works part time harvesting it .He tells me people are smoking every where already the police just do not bother any more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am disgusted that these are priorities of broke ass Canadian government.

Everything for tax dollars I guess.

That's BC for you.  As you notice not all of Canada. BC wants tax dollars from every thing.

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

That's BC for you.  As you notice not all of Canada. BC wants tax dollars from every thing.

In April 2017, the federal government introduced legislation to legalize and regulate recreational cannabis in Canada by July 2018. If passed, the proposed federal Cannabis Act would create rules for producing, possessing and selling cannabis across Canada.

www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization

Nope all of Canada

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Pot in Canada is expensive  Also the best quality in the world.. Hard to believe the legal will be more expensive. But hey it is grass can always grow your own huh.

The legal growers have been growing it for the last few years developing quality pot. A friend back in Victoria works part time harvesting it .He tells me people are smoking every where already the police just do not bother any more.

The last time I bought an ounce of grass in Canada, or anywhere for that matter, I paid a reasonable $20c. That was some time ago.

So what are the other countries 7 countries that have legalised it as mentioned in the article?

I seen a couple of threads with some people from the Thai government talking about but it seems far of, But who knows one day especially when they see how much money that can make.

I dont smoke anymore but I would light just one up In any country that made it legal.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pegman said:

The last time I bought an ounce of grass in Canada, or anywhere for that matter, I paid a reasonable $20c. That was some time ago.

That must have been a long time ago  Like 40 years ago. An ounce now is $350 to $400. 

1 hour ago, juice777 said:

I just read he sounds like my kind of guy

" When not busy melting the hearts of women everywhere, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is working to legalize cannabis across all of Canada. Trudeau, who’s admitted to smoking even as a member of Parliament, released legislation last year to make Canada the first industrialized country to legalize cannabis nationwide. "

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

His mother Margaret, was a smoker  and more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HooHaa said:

one can certainly hope it will put an end to the fetanyl that is appearing in everything.

So true.  Fentanyl and Carfentanyl (elephant tranquilizer) is a scourge, and that's coming from someone who wants all drugs to be legalized.  From a video I watched 2 yrs ago, the worst outbreaks of Fentanyl problems was the 'Rust Belt' in the US, ....and parts of Canada.  There were people who wanted desperately to quit, but the social services didn't have enough personnel/funds to assist them in a timely way (2 month waits) - during which time, most of the addicts died.

Fentanyl is so bad, that some addicts will smash their hands or feet with heavy hammers, in order to get into ICU's to get a fix.

It's a green pill, and is manufactured in China, and comes into N.America via Mexico.

Jared Kushner is Trump's #1 person for dealing with China and also for dealing with Fentanyl crisis in the US, but he doesn't know shit from shinola.  Or if he is aware of it, he's doing next to nothing about it.

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

His mother Margaret, was a smoker  and more.

does the 'more' rhyme with 'more' ? 

• Haha 1

It brings a grin to my face when I read Canadians in this thread - saying their pot is superior.

It may be (to them).  But if you ask a Jamaican, an Oregonian, a Hawaiian, a Colombian, a Californian, or a Colorado grower, they'll probably say the same about their locally-grown stash.

To really have a handle, a person would have to sample all the types.  Additionally, there are so many specialty types now.  Some are like tranquilizers and nearly put you to sleep, others are like acid trips, while other types of pot are.....  I honestly don't know, but it's fun to read the labels at the shops.

I grew pot in northern California before it was legal.  I never made much more than a few bucks, due to rip-offs and cops.  Oddly, I stopped smoking pot years before I farmed it, and still don't smoke.  It's not my type of high.  Perhaps I'll check it out again, in my senior years.

The 2 main reasons I stopped smoking weed at age 20, was because it was poor quality and it fueled my introverted personality.  Indeed, I only smoked it as a teen because my buddies were always sticking a lit pipe in my face.  Peer pressure.  Though there were a bunch of fun times.  The times I enjoyed pot most, were when I did it with other drugs: alcohol or speed. 

• Like 2