Architect plans for our house

We are renting at the moment and might build our own house this yr or next in another area. We are moving out soon and I was thinking of employing an architect to come and measure up and copy the exact size / design of this house so that we can maybe build the same house in the future on a plot of land. 

In this situation would I be best to just get the architect to do drawings on paper or using CAD software. If the architect in our next location doesn't have the same software its all worthless. Is this correct? 

Any opinions on this are appreciated.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

CAD formats are pretty standard and the big names can usually import from other big names.

If your current home is one of the cookie-cutter designs the plans may well be on the web or availalbe free from your local planning office.

Take lots of photos inside and out and do a simple sketch plan with dimension (in metric) and any self-respecting architect will be able to whizz up a set of plans for a (fairly) nominal fee.

Have a look here to see if your place is one of the free designs (there are many more too) http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html

Thanks so much for the link and the info. Very interesting

On 07/02/2018 at 3:22 PM, davidst01 said:

Thanks so much for the link and the info. Very interesting

Good luck.  I built to my design 18 months ago and am very happy with the outcome.  Fixed fee for the design,  fixed cost for the build and added extras about 6 months after moving in to rectify my design shortcomings.  This is the first house in Thailand but the third house I have built.  Take your time finalising the project.  I went the Usufruct route for ownership.

We are on the process of adding another house to my partners family compound in rural Chiang Rai... We went the the local Amphuer to see about permission and the officer of the department offered to do all the plans for us from some basic floorplams and charged us 3,000 baht

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

We looked at Croccy's government plans, different,books and magasinehome plans and searched the internet for different house plans until we found something that was close to  the concept I had in mind ,  I purchased the plans from this company.

http://www.banpatan.com/index.php/แบบบ้านใต้ถุนสูง/21-แบบบ้านใต้ถุนสูงหน้าแคบ-bp17.html

There are many others,

Once I had a basic plan I  modified to meet our needs. 

Take this out, add this in, make this bigger make that smaller . etc etc.

Interviewed a number of builders with the plans we had purchased, and a list of changes we wanted to make . We settled with a builder highly recommended by friends  that had worked with him. Without as having to ask him for it and at no extra cost, He made a 3D  Cad model of our plans  with all our changes incorporated. 

All very easy, drama free, The builder applied for all the permits and made all arrangements for utilities

.All very professional .Having read all the horror stories with building in Thailand we could not be happier. 80% done now, should be finished at the end of this month.

You can take a look at our build at:https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/?page=4

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

We looked at Croccy's government plans, different,books and magasinehome plans and searched the internet for different house plans until we found something that was close to  the concept I had in mind ,  I purchased the plans from this company.

http://www.banpatan.com/index.php/แบบบ้านใต้ถุนสูง/21-แบบบ้านใต้ถุนสูงหน้าแคบ-bp17.html

There are many others,

Once I had a basic plan I  modified to meet our needs. 

Take this out, add this in, make this bigger make that smaller . etc etc.

Interviewed a number of builders with the plans we had purchased, and a list of changes we wanted to make . We settled with a builder highly recommended by friends  that had worked with him. Without as having to ask him for it and at no extra cost, He made a 3D  Cad model of our plans  with all our changes incorporated. 

All very easy, drama free, The builder applied for all the permits and made all arrangements for utilities

.All very professional .Having read all the horror stories with building in Thailand we could not be happier. 80% done now, should be finished at the end of this month.

You can take a look at our build at:https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/?page=4

Thanks for the info 

So in the situation described above, if we pay someone to draw up plans am I right in saying that someone can then put that in 3d software CAD at a later date?

36 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Thanks for the info 

So in the situation described above, if we pay someone to draw up plans am I right in saying that someone can then put that in 3d software CAD at a later date?

They did for me so I assume they could also. I have done several plans my self and I am at an intermediate level at best.

Here is a plan from Croccy's government plans that I did for a friend . He ended up building this plan and was very happy to be able to visualise the space  place virtual furniture in the rooms to see how the size and location works, and make any adjustment on paper where it is cheap and easy rather than later when it costs and is difficult 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On February 9, 2018 at 9:57 PM, sirineou said:

They did for me so I assume they could also. I have done several plans my self and I am at an intermediate level at best.

Here is a plan from Croccy's government plans that I did for a friend . He ended up building this plan and was very happy to be able to visualise the space  place virtual furniture in the rooms to see how the size and location works, and make any adjustment on paper where it is cheap and easy rather than later when it costs and is difficult 

I see it's Sketchup.

You set the plan down as a photo (is it called rendering?) then built on top of it......cool?

Is there a tutorial for that?

Did u get all the furniture from the components library?

thanx

Edited by cheeryble

On February 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM, sfokevin said:

We are on the process of adding another house to my partners family compound in rural Chiang Rai... We went the the local Amphuer to see about permission and the officer of the department offered to do all the plans for us from some basic floorplams and charged us 3,000 baht

Was the structural stuff all included Kevin?

And was it signed off?

14 hours ago, cheeryble said:

I see it's Sketchup.

You set the plan down as a photo (is it called rendering?) then built on top of it......cool?

Is there a tutorial for that?

Did u get all the furniture from the components library?

thanx

The furniture is from the warehouse, but make sure it is made to scale. For instance you know what the size of a queen size bed is. Use the "tape measure" to check , if it is not use the technique I will show you later to resize it.

To import plan:

First take a picture of the plan, In my video I used the already existing government plans, but if you have a different plan first try to take as good a picture as possible at a right angle, from the top

Here is a picture from the house plan I am building right now

image.thumb.png.9adea9e45d3c4eb0a466df6d8f85c3be.png

now you have to import it in to skechup

Ho to "file" scroll down to "Import" and click

the following window will open

image.png.23b5c96419a5cb61dc5eaaa21ce6b20f.png

make sure the image option is selected 

and that if your image is saved under JPG,  as it should, select the JPG option

the image will be imported into sketchup, and is best viewed  from the top by selecting "Camera", then "standard view" ,then "top"

and using the scale too make it bigger by dragging it from the corners to scale it evenly to an larger size and easier see the numbers. ( Don't necessarily need to do that step I do it because I find it easier) 

image.png.d5084d1895461476c6ef34e90dcb142a.png

Then you need to make the plan to appropriate scale 

so take the "tape measure tool in Sketchup and measure a known distance

in this case I clicked on the one side of a 2m dimension and then clicked on the other side of that 2m dimension and sketchup told me that it was   1.5m, but I know from the plan that it should be 2m so I type "2m" and "enter"

And sketchup asks me if I want to resize the mode

image.png.b8666c91387ce33ebc337cab08dd9395.png

select "Yes" and the whole model will be resized to scale.

then take your tape measure tool and remeasure the 2m dimension, it should read 2m, then go to an other different dimension and measure that. it should read as indicated in the plan.

The 3.5 m measurement at the other side should read 3.5 m

Now you can trace the footings, pull up foundation columns, draw beams , a slab and work on your walls as you can see in my video

PM me with more questions as to not hijack this thread. or you can start a thread and perhaps other could participate and offer better suggestions. 

Good luck

Edited by sirineou

The furniture is from the warehouse, but make sure it is made to scale. For instance you know what the size of a queen size bed is. Use the "tape measure" to check , if it is not use the technique I will show you later to resize it.
To import plan:
First take a picture of the plan, In my video I used the already existing government plans, but if you have a different plan first try to take as good a picture as possible at a right angle, from the top
Here is a picture from the house plan I am building right now
image.thumb.png.9adea9e45d3c4eb0a466df6d8f85c3be.png
now you have to import it in to skechup
Ho to "file" scroll down to "Import" and click
the following window will open
image.png.23b5c96419a5cb61dc5eaaa21ce6b20f.png
make sure the image option is selected 
and that if your image is saved under JPG,  as it should, select the JPG option
the image will be imported into sketchup, and is best viewed  from the top by selecting "Camera", then "standard view" ,then "top"
and using the scale too make it bigger by dragging it from the corners to scale it evenly to an larger size and easier see the numbers. ( Don't necessarily need to do that step I do it because I find it easier) 
image.png.d5084d1895461476c6ef34e90dcb142a.png
Then you need to make the plan to appropriate scale 
so take the "tape measure tool in Sketchup and measure a known distance
in this case I clicked on the one side of a 2m dimension and then clicked on the other side of that 2m dimension and sketchup told me that it was   1.5m, but I know from the plan that it should be 2m so I type "2m" and "enter"
And sketchup asks me if I want to resize the mode
image.png.b8666c91387ce33ebc337cab08dd9395.png
select "Yes" and the whole model will be resized to scale.
then take your tape measure tool and remeasure the 2m dimension, it should read 2m, then go to an other different dimension and measure that. it should read as indicated in the plan.
The 3.5 m measurement at the other side should read 3.5 m
Now you can trace the footings, pull up foundation columns, draw beams , a slab and work on your walls as you can see in my video
PM me with more questions as to not hijack this thread. or you can start a thread and perhaps other could participate and offer better suggestions. 
Good luck

Excellent, thankyou Master.

I drew most of the above ground plan in Sketchup, one drawing of what is already built, Mum's chalet, and extending the roof to join to the new house which will join on to it. I have the roofs turning on and off, but made a bit of a screw up over intersecting so went back to a measured pencil sketch which I have all views now..
So the sketch will be formalized to a plan by the tesabahn for a modest fee I hope, then I could go back and whip that up in SKP..

There’s an important step in between and that’s persuading the missus that we sell a plot we own elsewhere, and put all the eggs in one basket rather than take dilute our resources and energy with two places. Thai folk sure don’t like to sell land this could turn into pistols at dawn ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app