LPG gas Check on car

Negita43

My very old Toyota corolla was refused a tax/insurance by the government office on the grounds that it needed to have the LPG gas installation re certified first.

Two questions:

1. My gf seems to think that the government office told her that the car is very old and will have to have the LPG installation re certified every year. Any views on this?

2. Is this a fixed price job or can the re certifier charge what they want?

Supplemental

If anyone lives in Korat area do you know of a place to go for this check?

Thanks

Correct; it's every 5 years.

Just bring the car to a LPG Installer Shop and they will go to the government office for check.

The shop will charge you 500-1000 Baht.

Remember to take some copies of the Certificate. They will take the original when you pay road tax.

Every year thereafter you have to show a copy and I don't remember, if they take that also.

When you are at the shop anyway, ask them to change the fuel filter, if it's not been done for a long time.

Also a good idea to get a new set of NGK Iridium spark plugs. They are the best for LPG cars. 

13 hours ago, johng said:

I believe the LPG installation needs to be checked every 5 years...I think certifier can charge what they want but its not expensive.

Is it a bad to buy a car that was once LPG powered

See post #45 of above ...a little more information...

9 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Is it a bad to buy a car that was once LPG powered

Depends on lots of things...they say LPG runs hotter so  maybe  a complete "top end" overhaul would bring the engine back to life and shouldn't be too expensive.

If it was a LPG powered Bangkok Taxi with a gazzillion kilometer on it then maybe don't buy it :shock1:

1 hour ago, lj cm said:

Also a good idea to get a new set of NGK Iridium spark plugs. They are the best for LPG cars. 

Waste of money. Just change the plugs when you change he oil. 120 baht each and the labour is cheap. from memory "special" LPG plugs are around 600 baht EACH

It is the tank that has to be certified. Used to have to be inspected by an underling and certified by a "qualified" engineer. Yes about 1000-1500 baht.

Edited by VocalNeal

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Depends on lots of things...they say LPG runs hotter so  maybe  a complete "top end" overhaul would bring the engine back to life and shouldn't be too expensive.

If it was a LPG powered Bangkok Taxi with a gazzillion kilometer on it then maybe don't buy it :shock1:

A complete mis-understanding - I 'knew' copy and paste with the samsung pen was a bad idea if I didn't bold it!!! I was referring to post No45 of 'is it bad etc' ..never mind ...HOPEFULLY we won't go there again!!!!!!!! but as it's weekend we probably will .... gee what did I start ........

24 minutes ago, johng said:

on another thread ?   because this thread doesn't (yet) have 45 posts

so I'm none the wiser about what you're  "on about"  sorry   :sorry:

The thread was called ... 

Is it bad to buy a car that was once LPG

Started about 7th or 8th January 2018

You probably missed that one ...

and 'yet' will be pretty accurate I guess :sad:

LPG inspection - every 5 years - complete system check over. Leak detection, condition of all lines and hoses. Signed and certified by an engineer who is licensed. Certificate issued with picture of your car showing license plate number, picture of the engineer, copy of his license, original inspection report.

Take all to DLT - or inspection facility. You will get your originals back with the blue book, tax sticker, and receipts

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Waste of money. Just change the plugs when you change he oil. 120 baht each and the labour is cheap. from memory "special" LPG plugs are around 600 baht EACH

It is the tank that has to be certified. Used to have to be inspected by an underling and certified by a "qualified" engineer. Yes about 1000-1500 baht.

NGK Iridium is not especially for LPG. They are just good and (only) 200 Baht a piece.

In general it's best to use NGK spark plugs (any type) in LPG powered cars.

17 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Be-careful

Most cylinders are T spec and require 5 year hydraulic test but... there are some on the market, have seen them, that are a spec requiring 3 year testing.

Am confused ... I thought that spec was for the 'household and similar' cooking gas cylinders ... are you saying that the T spec applies to the LPG cylinders that are fitted to cars ... the ones that need replacing after ten years ...

Thanks for all the input

Got the car LPG tested today there's good news and bad news.

The good news - cost 500 Baht (Korat)

The bad news (depending on how you look at it) The testing place confirmed a new law requiring an ANNUAL test all all LPG (and I think CNG) cars.

I am not sure if this applies to new installations or if they get 5 years then annual tests.

I am going to open a new post on this because it's off topic but anyone have or tried an MG3?

• 2 weeks later...

I just paid road tax and my 2 year old LPG Certificate was still OK.

As usual; they kept the Certificate, but I have a copy for next year.

Btw; I've never seen so many motorbikes at the Inspection Center. I guess people are tired of paying the police all the time.